God’s Deliverance of Rebellious Israel
Because of you, I will send an army[a] to Babylon
and bring all of them as fugitives,[b]
even the Chaldeans(C) in the ships in which they rejoice.[c]
15 I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your King.
16 This is what the Lord says—
who makes a way in the sea,
and a path through raging water,(D)
17 who brings out the chariot and horse,(E)
the army and the mighty one together
(they lie down, they do not rise again;
they are extinguished, put out like a wick(F))—
18 “Do not remember the past events;
pay no attention to things of old.(G)
19 Look, I am about to do something new;(H)
even now it is coming. Do you not see it?
Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness,(I)
rivers[d] in the desert.
20 Wild animals—
jackals and ostriches—will honor me,
because I provide water in the wilderness,
and rivers in the desert,(J)
to give drink to my chosen people.
21 The people I formed for myself
will declare my praise.(K)
22 “But, Jacob, you have not called on me,
because, Israel, you have become weary of me.(L)
23 You have not brought me your sheep for burnt offerings
or honored me with your sacrifices.(M)
I have not burdened you with offerings
or wearied you with incense.[e]
24 You have not bought me aromatic cane with silver,
or satisfied me with the fat of your sacrifices.
But you have burdened me with your sins;
you have wearied me(N) with your iniquities.(O)
25 “I am the one,I sweep away your transgressions(P)
for my own sake(Q)
and remember your sins no more.(R)
26 Remind me. Let’s argue the case together.(S)
Recount the facts, so that you may be vindicated.
27 Your first father sinned,(T)
and your mediators have rebelled against me.(U)
28 So I defiled the officers of the sanctuary,
and set Jacob apart for destruction(V)
and Israel for scorn.
44 “And now listen, Jacob my servant,
Israel whom I have chosen.(W)
2 This is the word of the Lord
your Maker, the one who formed you from the womb:
He will help you.
Do not fear, Jacob my servant,
Jeshurun[f] whom I have chosen.(X)
3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land
and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out my Spirit(Y) on your descendants
and my blessing on your offspring.
4 They will sprout among[g] the grass
like poplars by flowing streams.
5 This one will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’;
another will use the name of Jacob;
still another will write on his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’
and take on the name of Israel.”
No God Other Than the Lord
6 This is what the Lord, the King of Israel and its Redeemer,(Z) the Lord of Armies, says:
I am the first and I am the last.(AA)
There is no God but me.(AB)
7 Who, like me, can announce the future?
Let him say so and make a case before me,(AC)
since I have established an ancient people.
Let these gods declare[h] the coming things,
and what will take place.
8 Do not be startled or afraid.
Have I not told you and declared it long ago?
You are my witnesses!(AD)
Is there any God but me?(AE)
There is no other Rock;(AF) I do not know any.
9 All who make idols are nothing,
and what they treasure benefits no one.
Their witnesses do not see or know anything,
so they will be put to shame.(AG)
10 Who makes a god or casts a metal image
that benefits no one?(AH)
11 Look, all its worshipers will be put to shame,
and the craftsmen are humans.
They all will assemble and stand;
they all will be startled and put to shame.
12 The ironworker labors over the coals,
shapes the idol with hammers,
and works it with his strong arm.
Also he grows hungry and his strength fails;
he doesn’t drink water and is faint.
13 The woodworker stretches out a measuring line,
he outlines it with a stylus;
he shapes it with chisels
and outlines it with a compass.
He makes it according to a human form,(AI)
like a beautiful person,
to dwell in a temple.
14 He cuts down[i] cedars for his use,
or he takes a cypress or an oak.
He lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest.
He plants a laurel, and the rain makes it grow.
15 A person can use it for fuel.
He takes some of it and warms himself;
also he kindles a fire and bakes bread;
he even makes it into a god and worships it;
he makes an idol from it and bows down to it.
16 He burns half of it in a fire,
and he roasts meat on that half.
He eats the roast and is satisfied.
He warms himself and says, “Ah!
I am warm, I see the blaze.”
17 He makes a god or his idol with the rest of it.
He bows down to it and worships;
he prays to it,(AJ) “Save me, for you are my god.”
18 Such people[j] do not comprehend
and cannot understand,
for he has shut their eyes[k] so they cannot see,
and their minds so they cannot understand.
19 No one comes to his senses;[l]
no one has the perception or insight to say,
“I burned half of it in the fire,
I also baked bread on its coals,
I roasted meat and ate.
Should I make something detestable(AK) with the rest of it?
Should I bow down to a block of wood?”
20 He feeds on[m] ashes.
His deceived mind has led him astray,
and he cannot rescue himself,
or say, “Isn’t there a lie in my right hand?” (AL)
21 Remember these things, Jacob,
and Israel, for you are my servant;
I formed you, you are my servant;
Israel, you will never be forgotten by me.[n](AM)
22 I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud,(AN)
and your sins like a mist.
Return to me,(AO)
for I have redeemed you.(AP)
23 Rejoice, heavens,(AQ) for the Lord has acted;
shout, depths of the earth.
Break out into singing, mountains,
forest, and every tree in it.
For the Lord has redeemed Jacob,
and glorifies himself through Israel.(AR)
Restoration of Israel through Cyrus
I am the Lord, who made everything;
who stretched out the heavens by myself;(AU)
who alone spread out the earth;
25 who destroys the omens of the false prophets
and makes fools of diviners;
who confounds the wise
and makes their knowledge foolishness;(AV)
26 who confirms the message of his servant
and fulfills the counsel of his messengers;
who says to Jerusalem, “She will be inhabited,”
and to the cities of Judah, “They will be rebuilt,”
and I will restore her ruins;
27 who says to the depths of the sea, “Be dry,”
and I will dry up your rivers;
28 who says to Cyrus,(AW) “My shepherd,
he will fulfill all my pleasure”(AX)
and says to Jerusalem, “She will be rebuilt,”(AY)
and of the temple, “Its foundation will be laid.”
45 The Lord says this to Cyrus, his anointed,(AZ)
whose right hand I have grasped(BA)
to subdue nations before him
and disarm[o] kings,(BB)
to open doors before him,
and even city gates will not be shut:
2 “I will go before you
and level the uneven places;[p](BC)
I will shatter the bronze doors
and cut the iron bars in two.(BD)
3 I will give you the treasures of darkness
and riches from secret places,(BE)
so that you may know that I am the Lord.
I am the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.(BF)
4 I call you by your name,
for the sake of my servant Jacob(BG)
and Israel my chosen one.
I give a name to you,
though you do not know me.
5 I am the Lord, and there is no other;(BH)
there is no God but me.(BI)
I will strengthen[q] you,
though you do not know me,
6 so that all may know from the rising of the sun to its setting
that there is no one but me.(BJ)
I am the Lord, and there is no other.
7 I form light and create darkness,(BK)
I make success and create disaster;(BL)
I am the Lord, who does all these things.
9 “Woe to the one who argues with his Maker—
one clay pot among many.[r]
Does clay say to the one forming it,
‘What are you making?’ (BO)
Or does your work say,
‘He has no hands’?[s]
10 Woe to the one who says to his father,
‘What are you fathering?’
or to his mother,[t]
‘What are you giving birth to?’”
- 43:14 an army supplied for clarity
- 43:14 Or will break down all their bars
- 43:14 Hb obscure
- 43:19 DSS read paths
- 43:23 I.e., with demands for offerings and incense
- 44:2 = Upright One
- 44:4 Some Hb mss, DSS, LXX read as among
- 44:7 Lit declare them—
- 44:14 Lit To cut down for himself
- 44:18 Lit They
- 44:18 Or for their eyes are shut
- 44:19 Lit No one returns to his heart
- 44:20 Or He shepherds
- 44:21 DSS, LXX, Tg read Israel, do not forget me
- 45:1 Lit unloosen the waist of
- 45:2 DSS, LXX read the mountains
- 45:5 Lit gird
- 45:9 Lit a clay pot with clay pots of the ground
- 45:9 Or making? Your work has no hands.
- 45:10 Lit to a woman
- 43:14 : Jb 19:25; Ps 19:14; 78:35; Pr 23:11; Is 41:14; Jr 50:34
- 43:14 : Is 1:4
- 43:14 : Is 23:13
- 43:16 : Ex 14:21–22; Ps 77:19; Is 11:15; 44:27; 50:2; 51:10; 63:11–12
- 43:17 : Ex 15:19
- 43:17 : Ps 118:12; Is 1:31
- 43:18 : Is 65:17; Jr 23:7
- 43:19 : Is 42:9; 48:6; 2Co 5:17
- 43:19 : Ex 17:6; Nm 20:11; Dt 8:15; Ps 78:16; Is 35:1,6; 41:18–19; 49:10; 51:3
- 43:20 : Is 41:17–18; 48:21
- 43:21 : Ps 102:18; Is 42:12; Lk 1:74–75; 1Pt 2:9
- 43:22 : Mc 6:3; Mal 1:13; 3:14
- 43:23 : Zch 7:5–6; Mal 1:6–8
- 43:24 : Ps 95:10; Is 1:14; 7:13; Ezk 6:9; Mal 2:17
- 43:24 : Is 13:11
- 43:25 : Is 44:22; 55:7; Jr 50:20; Heb 2:17
- 43:25 : Is 37:35; 48:9,11; Ezk 36:22
- 43:25 : Is 38:17; Jr 31:34; Mk 2:7
- 43:26 : Is 1:18; 41:1; 50:8
- 43:27 : Is 51:2; Ezk 16:3
- 43:27 : Is 9:15; 28:7; 29:10; Jr 5:31
- 43:28 : Is 24:6; 34:5; Jr 24:9; Dn 9:11; Zch 8:13
- 44:1 : Is 41:8–9; 42:1; 43:10,20; 45:4; 49:7; 65:9,15,22
- 44:2 : Dt 32:15; 33:5,26
- 44:3 : Is 32:15; Jl 2:28
- 44:6 : Is 41:14; 43:14
- 44:6 : Is 41:4; 43:10; 48:12; Rv 1:8,17; 22:13
- 44:6 : Is 43:11; 44:8; 45:5–6
- 44:7 : Is 41:22,26
- 44:8 : Is 43:10
- 44:8 : Dt 4:35,39; 1Sm 2:2; Is 45:5; Jl 2:27
- 44:8 : Is 17:10; 26:4; 30:29
- 44:9 : Ps 97:7; Is 42:17; 44:11; 45:16
- 44:10 : Is 41:29; Jr 10:5; Hab 2:18; Ac 19:26
- 44:13 : Ps 115:5–7
- 44:17 : 1Kg 18:26,28; Is 45:20
- 44:19 : Dt 27:15; 1Kg 11:5,7; 2Kg 23:13–14
- 44:20 : Is 57:11; 59:3–4,13; Rm 1:25
- 44:21 : Is 49:15
- 44:22 : Ps 51:1,9; Is 43:25; Ac 3:19
- 44:22 : Is 31:6; 55:7
- 44:22 : Is 43:1; 48:20; 1Co 6:20; 1Pt 1:18–19
- 44:23 : Ps 69:34; 96:11–12; Is 42:10; 49:13
- 44:23 : Is 49:3; 61:3
- 44:24 : Is 41:14; 43:14
- 44:24 : Is 44:2
- 44:24 : Is 40:22; 42:5; 45:12,18; 51:13
- 44:25 : 2Sm 15:31; Jb 5:12–14; Ps 33:10; Is 29:14; Jr 51:57; 1Co 1:20,27
- 44:28 : Is 45:1
- 44:28 : Eph 1:9
- 44:28 : 2Ch 36:22–23; Ezr 1:1; Is 14:32; 45:13; 54:11
- 45:1 : Is 44:28
- 45:1 : Ps 73:23; Is 41:13; 42:6
- 45:1 : Jb 12:21; Is 45:5
- 45:2 : Is 40:4
- 45:2 : Ps 107:16
- 45:3 : Jr 41:8; 50:37
- 45:3 : Ex 33:12,17; Is 43:1; 49:1
- 45:4 : Is 41:8; 42:19
- 45:5 : Is 45:6,14,18,21; 46:9
- 45:5 : Is 44:6,8
- 45:6 : Ps 102:15; Is 37:20; Mal 1:11
- 45:7 : Ps 104:20; 105:28
- 45:7 : Gn 50:20; 1Sm 16:14; 1Kg 21:21; 22:8; 2Kg 6:33; Jb 2:10; Ps 78:49; Is 13:11; 31:2; 47:11; Jr 1:14; Lm 3:38; Am 3:6
- 45:8 : Hs 10:12
- 45:8 : Ps 85:11; Is 61:11
- 45:9 : Is 29:16; 64:8; Jr 18:6; Rm 9:20–21
Paul’s Ministry to the Gentiles
3 For this reason, I, Paul, the prisoner(A) of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles— 2 assuming you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that he gave me for you. 3 The mystery was made known to me by revelation,(B) as I have briefly written above. 4 By reading this you are able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ.(C) 5 This was not made known to people[a] in other generations as it is now revealed to his holy apostles and prophets(D) by the Spirit: 6 The Gentiles are coheirs, members of the same body, and partners in the promise(E) in Christ Jesus through the gospel. 7 I was made a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace that was given to me by the working of his power.(F)
8 This grace was given to me—the least of all the saints—to proclaim to the Gentiles the incalculable riches(G) of Christ, 9 and to shed light for all about the administration of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created(H) all things. 10 This is so that God’s multi-faceted wisdom(I) may now be made known through the church to the rulers and authorities in the heavens.(J) 11 This is according to his eternal purpose(K) accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him we have boldness and confident access(L) through faith in him.[b] 13 So, then, I ask you not to be discouraged(M) over my afflictions on your behalf, for they are your glory.(N)
Prayer for Spiritual Power
14 For this reason I kneel(O) before the Father[c] 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named. 16 I pray that he may grant you, according to the riches(P) of his glory,(Q) to be strengthened with power(R) in your inner being(S) through his Spirit, 17 and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love,(T) 19 and to know Christ’s love that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able(U) to do above and beyond all that we ask or think(V) according to the power(W) that works in us— 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.(X)
- 3:1 : 2Tm 1:8
- 3:3 : 1Pt 4:13
- 3:4 : Col 4:3
- 3:5 : 1Co 12:28–29; Eph 2:20
- 3:6 : Gn 12:7
- 3:7 : Mk 5:30; Lk 1:35; 6:19; Ac 19:11; 2Co 13:4; Rv 11:17
- 3:8 : Rm 1:15; 10:12; 11:12; 1Pt 1:12
- 3:9 : Mk 13:19
- 3:10 : Pr 3:19; Rm 11:33; 1Co 1:21,24; Rv 7:12
- 3:10 : Eph 1:3,20; 2:6; 6:12; Php 2:10
- 3:11 : Pr 19:21
- 3:12 : Rm 5:2
- 3:13 : 2Th 3:13
- 3:13 : Jn 5:44; 7:18; Rm 2:7; 1Pt 5:4
- 3:14 : Php 2:10
- 3:16 : Lk 8:14; 2Co 8:9
- 3:16 : Lk 9:32; Jn 17:24; 2Co 3:18; 2Pt 3:18
- 3:16 : 2Tm 1:7
- 3:16 : Rm 7:22; Php 4:13
- 3:18 : Jb 11:7–9; Ps 103:11–14
- 3:20 : Rm 16:25; 2Co 9:8; Jd 24
- 3:20 : Mk 14:36
- 3:20 : Rm 15:13; 16:25; 2Tm 1:7; Jd 24
- 3:21 : Php 4:20
God’s Majestic Power
For the choir director. A psalm of David. A song.
1 God arises. His enemies scatter,
and those who hate him flee from his presence.(A)
2 As smoke is blown away,
so you blow them away.
As wax melts before the fire,
so the wicked are destroyed before God.(B)
3 But the righteous are glad;
they rejoice before God and celebrate with joy.(C)
4 Sing to God! Sing praises to his name.
Exalt him who rides on the clouds[a]—
his name is the Lord[b]—and celebrate before him.(D)
5 God in his holy dwelling is
a father of the fatherless
and a champion of widows.(E)
6 God provides homes for those who are deserted.
He leads out the prisoners to prosperity,[c]
but the rebellious live in a scorched land.(F)
7 God, when you went out before your people,
when you marched through the desert,Selah
8 the earth trembled and the skies poured rain
before God, the God of Sinai,[d]
before God, the God of Israel.(G)
9 You, God, showered abundant rain;
you revived your inheritance when it languished.(H)
10 Your people settled in it;
God, you provided for the poor by your goodness.(I)
11 The Lord gave the command;
a great company of women brought the good news:(J)
12 “The kings of the armies flee—they flee!”
She who stays at home divides the spoil.(K)
13 While[e] you lie among the sheep pens,[f]
the wings of a dove are covered with silver,
and its feathers with glistening gold.(L)
14 When the Almighty scattered kings in the land,
it snowed on Zalmon.[g](M)
15 Mount Bashan is God’s towering mountain;
Mount Bashan is a mountain of many peaks.(N)
16 Why gaze with envy, you mountain peaks,
at the mountain God desired for his abode?
The Lord will dwell there forever!(O)
17 God’s chariots are tens of thousands,
thousands and thousands;(P)
the Lord is among them in the sanctuary[h]
as he was at Sinai.(Q)
18 You ascended to the heights, taking away captives;
you received gifts from[i] people,
even from the rebellious,
so that the Lord God might dwell there.[j](R)
- 68:4 Or rides through the desert
- 68:4 Hb Yah
- 68:6 Or prisoners with joyous music; Hb uncertain
- 68:8 Or God, this one of Sinai
- 68:13 Or If
- 68:13 Or the campfires, or the saddlebags; Hb obscure
- 68:14 Or Black Mountain
- 68:17 Or in holiness, also in v. 24
- 68:18 Lit among
- 68:18 Or even those rebelling against the Lord God’s living there; Hb obscure
- 68:1 : Nm 10:35; Ps 7:6; Ezk 30:26
- 68:2 : Ps 37:20; Hs 13:3
- 68:3 : Ps 32:11; 40:16; 64:10
- 68:4 : Dt 33:26; Ps 7:17; 66:4; Is 19:1
- 68:5 : Dt 24:17,19; Ps 146:9
- 68:6 : Ps 107:14; 113:9; 146:7
- 68:7–8 : Ex 19:16–18; Jdg 5:4–5
- 68:9 : Lv 26:4; Ezk 34:26
- 68:10 : Ps 74:19; 78:20; 107:9
- 68:11 : 1Sm 18:6–7
- 68:12 : Jos 10:16; Jdg 5:30
- 68:13 : Gn 49:14; Jdg 5:16
- 68:14 : Jos 10:10; Jdg 9:48
- 68:15 : Ps 36:6
- 68:16 : Ps 48:1–2; 132:13–14; Is 2:2–4
- 68:17 : Hab 3:8
- 68:17 : Dt 33:2
- 68:18 : Dt 21:10; Ps 7:7; Eph 4:8