Jeremiah Warns Zedekiah
37 (A)Zedekiah the son of Josiah, (B)whom Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon made king in the land of Judah, reigned instead of (C)Coniah the son of Jehoiakim. 2 (D)But neither he nor his servants nor the people of the land listened to the words of the Lord that he spoke through Jeremiah the prophet.
3 King Zedekiah sent (E)Jehucal the son of (F)Shelemiah, and (G)Zephaniah the priest, the son of (H)Maaseiah, to Jeremiah the prophet, saying, “Please (I)pray for us to the Lord our God.” 4 (J)Now Jeremiah was still going in and out among the people, (K)for he had not yet been put in prison. 5 (L)The army of Pharaoh had come out of Egypt. And when (M)the Chaldeans who were besieging Jerusalem heard news about them, (N)they withdrew from Jerusalem.
6 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the prophet: 7 “Thus says the Lord, God of Israel: Thus shall you say to the king of Judah who (O)sent you to me to inquire of me, ‘Behold, (P)Pharaoh's army that came to help you is about to (Q)return to Egypt, to its own land. 8 And (R)the Chaldeans shall come back and fight against this city. (S)They shall capture it and burn it with fire. 9 Thus says the Lord, Do not deceive yourselves, saying, “The Chaldeans will surely go away from us,” for they will not go away. 10 (T)For even if you should defeat the whole army of Chaldeans who are fighting against you, and there remained of them only wounded men, every man in his tent, they would rise up and (U)burn this city with fire.’”
11 Now when (V)the Chaldean army had withdrawn from Jerusalem at the approach of Pharaoh's army, 12 Jeremiah set out from Jerusalem to go to (W)the land of Benjamin (X)to receive his portion there (Y)among the people. 13 When he was at (Z)the Benjamin Gate, a sentry there named Irijah the son of (AA)Shelemiah, son of Hananiah, seized Jeremiah the prophet, saying, (AB)“You are deserting to the Chaldeans.” 14 And Jeremiah said, “It is a lie; I am not deserting to the Chaldeans.” But Irijah would not listen to him, and seized Jeremiah and brought him to (AC)the officials. 15 And the officials were enraged at Jeremiah, and they beat him (AD)and imprisoned him in the house of Jonathan the secretary, for it had been made a prison.
16 (AE)When Jeremiah had come to the dungeon cells and remained there many days, 17 King Zedekiah sent for him and received him. The king questioned him (AF)secretly in his house and said, “Is there any word from the Lord?” Jeremiah said, “There is.” Then he said, (AG)“You shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon.” 18 Jeremiah also said to King Zedekiah, “What wrong have I done to you or your servants or this people, (AH)that you have put me in prison? 19 (AI)Where are your prophets who prophesied to you, saying, ‘The king of Babylon will not come against you and against this land’? 20 Now hear, please, O my lord the king: (AJ)let my humble plea come before you and (AK)do not send me back to the house of Jonathan the secretary, lest I die there.” 21 So King Zedekiah gave orders, and they committed Jeremiah to (AL)the court of the guard. And a loaf of bread was given him daily from the bakers' street, (AM)until all the bread of the city was gone. So Jeremiah remained in (AN)the court of the guard.
Jeremiah Cast into the Cistern
38 Now Shephatiah the son of Mattan, Gedaliah the son of Pashhur, (AO)Jucal the son of Shelemiah, and (AP)Pashhur the son of Malchiah heard the words that Jeremiah was saying to all the people: 2 “Thus says the Lord: (AQ)He who stays in this city shall die by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence, (AR)but he who goes out to the Chaldeans shall live. He shall have his life as a prize of war, and live. 3 Thus says the Lord: (AS)This city shall surely be given into the hand of the army of the king of Babylon and be taken.” 4 Then the officials said to the king, (AT)“Let this man be put to death, (AU)for he is weakening the hands of the soldiers who are left in this city, and the hands of all the people, by speaking such words to them. For this man is not seeking (AV)the welfare of this people, but their harm.” 5 King Zedekiah said, “Behold, he is in your hands, (AW)for the king can do nothing against you.” 6 So they took Jeremiah (AX)and cast him into the cistern of Malchiah, the king's son, which was in (AY)the court of the guard, letting Jeremiah down (AZ)by ropes. (BA)And there was no water in the cistern, but only mud, and (BB)Jeremiah sank in the mud.
Jeremiah Rescued from the Cistern
7 When (BC)Ebed-melech (BD)the Ethiopian, (BE)a eunuch who was in the king's house, heard that they had put Jeremiah into the cistern—the king was sitting (BF)in the Benjamin Gate— 8 (BG)Ebed-melech went from the king's house and said to the king, 9 “My lord the king, these men have done evil in all that they did to Jeremiah the prophet by casting him into the cistern, and he will die there of (BH)hunger, (BI)for there is no bread left in the city.” 10 Then the king commanded (BJ)Ebed-melech the Ethiopian, “Take thirty men with you from here, and lift Jeremiah the prophet out of the cistern before he dies.” 11 So (BK)Ebed-melech took the men with him and went to the house of the king, to a wardrobe in the storehouse, and took from there old rags and worn-out clothes, which he let down to Jeremiah in the cistern (BL)by ropes. 12 Then (BM)Ebed-melech the Ethiopian said to Jeremiah, “Put the rags and clothes between your armpits and (BN)the ropes.” Jeremiah did so. 13 Then they drew Jeremiah up with (BO)ropes and lifted him out of the cistern. And Jeremiah remained in the (BP)court of the guard.
Jeremiah Warns Zedekiah Again
14 King Zedekiah sent for Jeremiah the prophet and received him at the third entrance of the temple of the Lord. The king said to Jeremiah, “I will ask you a question; hide nothing from me.” 15 Jeremiah said to Zedekiah, “If I tell you, will you not surely put me to death? And if I give you counsel, you will not listen to me.” 16 Then King Zedekiah swore (BQ)secretly to Jeremiah, (BR)“As the Lord lives, (BS)who made our souls, I will not put you to death or deliver you into the hand of (BT)these men who seek your life.”
17 Then Jeremiah said to Zedekiah, “Thus says the Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: (BU)If you will surrender to (BV)the officials of the king of Babylon, (BW)then your life shall be spared, and this city shall not be burned with fire, and you and your house shall live. 18 But if you do not surrender to (BX)the officials of the king of Babylon, (BY)then this city shall be given into the hand of the Chaldeans, (BZ)and they shall burn it with fire, and you shall not escape from their hand.” 19 King Zedekiah said to Jeremiah, “I am afraid of the Judeans (CA)who have deserted to the Chaldeans, lest I be handed over to them and they deal cruelly with me.” 20 Jeremiah said, “You shall not be given to them. Obey now the voice of the Lord in what I say to you, (CB)and it shall be well with you, and your life shall be spared. 21 But if you refuse to (CC)surrender, this is the vision which the Lord has shown to me: 22 Behold, all the women left in the house of the king of Judah were being led out to the officials of the king of Babylon and were saying,
(CD)“‘Your trusted friends have deceived you
and prevailed against you;
now that your feet are sunk in the mud,
they turn away from you.’
23 All your wives and (CE)your sons shall be led out to the Chaldeans, and you yourself shall not escape from their hand, but shall be seized by the king of Babylon, and this city shall be burned with fire.”
24 Then Zedekiah said to Jeremiah, “Let no one know of these words, and you shall not die. 25 If (CF)the officials hear that I have spoken with you and come to you and say to you, ‘Tell us what you said to the king and what the king said to you; hide nothing from us and we will not put you to death,’ 26 then you shall say to them, (CG)‘I made a humble plea to the king that he would not send me back to the house of Jonathan to die there.’” 27 Then all the officials came to Jeremiah and asked him, and he answered them as the king had instructed him. So they stopped speaking with him, for the conversation had not been overheard. 28 And Jeremiah remained (CH)in the court of the guard until the day that Jerusalem was taken.
- Jeremiah 37:1 : 2 Kgs. 24:17; 2 Chr. 36:10
- Jeremiah 37:1 : [Ezek. 17:13]
- Jeremiah 37:1 : ch. 22:24
- Jeremiah 37:2 : See 2 Chr. 36:12-14
- Jeremiah 37:3 : [ch. 38:1]
- Jeremiah 37:3 : ver. 13; ch. 38:1
- Jeremiah 37:3 : See ch. 21:1
- Jeremiah 37:3 : See ch. 35:4
- Jeremiah 37:3 : [ch. 21:2]
- Jeremiah 37:4 : [Num. 27:17]
- Jeremiah 37:4 : [ch. 32:2; 33:1]
- Jeremiah 37:5 : [Ezek. 17:15]
- Jeremiah 37:5 : ch. 32:2
- Jeremiah 37:5 : ver. 11; ch. 34:21
- Jeremiah 37:7 : [ch. 21:2]
- Jeremiah 37:7 : [Ezek. 29:2, 6]
- Jeremiah 37:7 : [ch. 46:17; 2 Kgs. 24:7; Lam. 4:17]
- Jeremiah 37:8 : ch. 34:22
- Jeremiah 37:8 : ch. 34:22
- Jeremiah 37:10 : [ch. 21:4]
- Jeremiah 37:10 : [See ver. 8 above]; ch. 34:22
- Jeremiah 37:11 : ver. 5
- Jeremiah 37:12 : ch. 1:1; 32:8
- Jeremiah 37:12 : [ch. 32:9]
- Jeremiah 37:12 : ver. 4; ch. 39:14
- Jeremiah 37:13 : ch. 38:7; Zech. 14:10
- Jeremiah 37:13 : ver. 3; ch. 38:1
- Jeremiah 37:13 : [ch. 21:9; 38:19; 39:9; 52:15]
- Jeremiah 37:14 : ch. 36:12
- Jeremiah 37:15 : [Heb. 11:36]
- Jeremiah 37:16 : See ch. 38:6-14
- Jeremiah 37:17 : ch. 38:16
- Jeremiah 37:17 : See ch. 21:7
- Jeremiah 37:18 : [See ver. 15 above]; [Heb. 11:36]
- Jeremiah 37:19 : [ch. 28:2, 11, 17]
- Jeremiah 37:20 : [ch. 38:26]
- Jeremiah 37:20 : [ch. 38:28]
- Jeremiah 37:21 : See ch. 32:2
- Jeremiah 37:21 : ch. 38:9; 52:6; Ezek. 4:10, 16
- Jeremiah 37:21 : See ch. 32:2
- Jeremiah 38:1 : [ch. 37:3]
- Jeremiah 38:1 : See ch. 20:1
- Jeremiah 38:2 : ch. 21:9; [ver. 17, 18]
- Jeremiah 38:2 : ch. 21:9; [ver. 17, 18]
- Jeremiah 38:3 : See ch. 32:3
- Jeremiah 38:4 : ch. 26:11
- Jeremiah 38:4 : See ch. 6:24
- Jeremiah 38:4 : [ch. 33:9]
- Jeremiah 38:5 : See ver. 24-28
- Jeremiah 38:6 : ch. 37:16
- Jeremiah 38:6 : See ch. 32:2
- Jeremiah 38:6 : ver. 11, 13
- Jeremiah 38:6 : [Gen. 37:24; Zech. 9:11]
- Jeremiah 38:6 : [Ps. 69:14]
- Jeremiah 38:7 : ch. 39:16
- Jeremiah 38:7 : [Acts 8:27]
- Jeremiah 38:7 : ch. 29:2; Isa. 56:3, 4
- Jeremiah 38:7 : See ch. 37:13
- Jeremiah 38:8 : [See ver. 7 above]; ch. 39:16
- Jeremiah 38:9 : ch. 11:22; [ch. 14:16, 18; 19:9]
- Jeremiah 38:9 : [ch. 37:21]
- Jeremiah 38:10 : [See ver. 7 above]; ch. 39:16
- Jeremiah 38:11 : [See ver. 7 above]; ch. 39:16
- Jeremiah 38:11 : ver. 6
- Jeremiah 38:12 : [See ver. 7 above]; ch. 39:16
- Jeremiah 38:12 : [See ver. 11 above]; ver. 6
- Jeremiah 38:13 : [See ver. 11 above]; ver. 6
- Jeremiah 38:13 : [See ver. 6 above]; See ch. 32:2
- Jeremiah 38:16 : ch. 37:17
- Jeremiah 38:16 : See Ruth 3:13
- Jeremiah 38:16 : [Isa. 57:16]
- Jeremiah 38:16 : See ver. 1-9
- Jeremiah 38:17 : ver. 2, 21; [ch. 27:12, 13; 2 Kgs. 24:12]
- Jeremiah 38:17 : ch. 39:3
- Jeremiah 38:17 : [ch. 34:4, 5]
- Jeremiah 38:18 : [See ver. 17 above]; ch. 39:3
- Jeremiah 38:18 : See ch. 21:10
- Jeremiah 38:18 : See ch. 21:10
- Jeremiah 38:19 : See ch. 37:13
- Jeremiah 38:20 : ch. 40:9
- Jeremiah 38:21 : [See ver. 17 above]; ver. 2, 21; [ch. 27:12, 13; 2 Kgs. 24:12]
- Jeremiah 38:22 : See ch. 20:10
- Jeremiah 38:23 : ch. 39:6; 41:10; 43:6
- Jeremiah 38:25 : [ver. 5]
- Jeremiah 38:26 : [ch. 37:20]
- Jeremiah 38:28 : See ch. 32:2
1 Timothy 6
6 (A)Let all who are under a yoke as bondservants[a] regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, (B)so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled. 2 Those who have believing masters must not be disrespectful on the ground that they are (C)brothers; rather they must serve all the better since those who benefit by their good service are believers and beloved.
False Teachers and True Contentment
(D)Teach and urge these things. 3 If anyone (E)teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with (F)the sound[b] words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching (G)that accords with godliness, 4 (H)he is puffed up with conceit and (I)understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for (J)controversy and for (K)quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5 and constant friction among people (L)who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, (M)imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6 But (N)godliness (O)with contentment is great gain, 7 for (P)we brought nothing into the world, and[c] we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But (Q)if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But (R)those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, (S)into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that (T)plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of (U)all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
Fight the Good Fight of Faith
11 But as for you, (V)O man of God, (W)flee these things. (X)Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 (Y)Fight the good fight of the faith. (Z)Take hold of the eternal life (AA)to which you were called and about which you made (AB)the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 (AC)I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, (AD)who in his testimony before[d] Pontius Pilate made (AE)the good confession, 14 to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until (AF)the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which he will display (AG)at the proper time—he who is (AH)the blessed and only Sovereign, (AI)the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 (AJ)who alone has immortality, (AK)who dwells in (AL)unapproachable light, (AM)whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
17 As for the rich in (AN)this present age, charge them (AO)not to be haughty, nor (AP)to set their hopes on (AQ)the uncertainty of riches, but on God, (AR)who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18 They are to do good, (AS)to be rich in good works, to be generous and (AT)ready to share, 19 thus (AU)storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may (AV)take hold of (AW)that which is truly life.
20 O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. (AX)Avoid the (AY)irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” 21 for by professing it some have swerved from the faith.
- 1 Timothy 6:1 : See 1 Pet. 2:18
- 1 Timothy 6:1 : Isa. 52:5; Rom. 2:24; Titus 2:5
- 1 Timothy 6:2 : See Philem. 16
- 1 Timothy 6:2 : ch. 4:11, 13; 5:7
- 1 Timothy 6:3 : ch. 1:3
- 1 Timothy 6:3 : See ch. 1:10
- 1 Timothy 6:3 : Titus 1:1
- 1 Timothy 6:4 : ch. 3:6; 2 Tim. 3:4
- 1 Timothy 6:4 : 1 Cor. 8:2; [ch. 1:7]
- 1 Timothy 6:4 : ch. 1:4; 2 Tim. 2:23; Titus 3:9
- 1 Timothy 6:4 : 2 Tim. 2:14; [Acts 18:15]
- 1 Timothy 6:5 : 2 Tim. 3:8; [Eph. 4:22; Titus 1:15]
- 1 Timothy 6:5 : Titus 1:11; 2 Pet. 2:3
- 1 Timothy 6:6 : [ch. 4:8]
- 1 Timothy 6:6 : Ps. 37:16; Prov. 15:16; 16:8; Phil. 4:11; Heb. 13:5
- 1 Timothy 6:7 : Job 1:21; Ps. 49:17; Eccles. 5:15
- 1 Timothy 6:8 : Gen. 28:20; Prov. 30:8
- 1 Timothy 6:9 : Prov. 15:27; 23:4; 28:20; Matt. 13:22
- 1 Timothy 6:9 : [ch. 3:7]
- 1 Timothy 6:9 : [ch. 1:19]
- 1 Timothy 6:10 : [Ex. 23:8; Deut. 16:19]
- 1 Timothy 6:11 : 2 Tim. 3:17
- 1 Timothy 6:11 : 2 Tim. 2:22
- 1 Timothy 6:11 : See Prov. 15:9
- 1 Timothy 6:12 : [ch. 1:18]; See 1 Cor. 9:25
- 1 Timothy 6:12 : [Phil. 3:12]
- 1 Timothy 6:12 : 1 Pet. 5:10
- 1 Timothy 6:12 : See 2 Cor. 9:13
- 1 Timothy 6:13 : See ch. 5:21
- 1 Timothy 6:13 : [Matt. 27:11; John 18:37; Rev. 1:5; 3:14]
- 1 Timothy 6:13 : [See ver. 12 above]; See 2 Cor. 9:13
- 1 Timothy 6:14 : See 2 Thess. 2:8
- 1 Timothy 6:15 : See ch. 2:6
- 1 Timothy 6:15 : ch. 1:11
- 1 Timothy 6:15 : See Rev. 17:14
- 1 Timothy 6:16 : See ch. 1:17
- 1 Timothy 6:16 : [Ps. 104:2]
- 1 Timothy 6:16 : Job 37:23
- 1 Timothy 6:16 : See John 1:18
- 1 Timothy 6:17 : 2 Tim. 4:10; Titus 2:12
- 1 Timothy 6:17 : Rom. 11:20; 12:3, 16
- 1 Timothy 6:17 : See Mark 10:24
- 1 Timothy 6:17 : Prov. 23:5; [Matt. 13:22]
- 1 Timothy 6:17 : See Acts 14:17
- 1 Timothy 6:18 : Luke 12:21; Titus 3:8, 14
- 1 Timothy 6:18 : See Rom. 12:13
- 1 Timothy 6:19 : See Matt. 6:19, 20
- 1 Timothy 6:19 : ver. 12
- 1 Timothy 6:19 : [2 Tim. 1:1]
- 1 Timothy 6:20 : 2 Tim. 3:5; [Col. 2:8; 2 Tim. 4:4; Titus 1:14]
- 1 Timothy 6:20 : 2 Tim. 2:16
- 1 Timothy 6:21 : See Col. 4:18
38 But now you have (A)cast off and rejected;
you are full of wrath against your (B)anointed.
39 You have (C)renounced (D)the covenant with your servant;
you have (E)defiled his (F)crown in the dust.
40 You have (G)breached all his walls;
you have laid his strongholds in ruins.
41 (H)All who pass by plunder him;
he has become (I)the scorn of his neighbors.
42 You have exalted the right hand of his foes;
you have made all his enemies rejoice.
43 You have also turned back the edge of his sword,
and you have not made him stand in battle.
44 You have made his splendor to cease
and cast his throne to the ground.
45 You have cut short (J)the days of his youth;
you have (K)covered him with shame. Selah
46 (L)How long, O Lord? Will you hide yourself forever?
How long will your wrath (M)burn like fire?
47 (N)Remember (O)how short my (P)time is!
For what vanity you have created all the children of man!
48 (Q)What man can live and never (R)see death?
Who can deliver his soul from the power of (S)Sheol? Selah
49 Lord, where is your (T)steadfast love of old,
which by your (U)faithfulness you swore to David?
50 (V)Remember, O Lord, how your servants are mocked,
and how I bear in my (W)heart the insults[a] of all the many nations,
51 with which your enemies mock, O Lord,
with which they mock (X)the footsteps of your (Y)anointed.
52 (Z)Blessed be the Lord forever!
Amen and Amen.
- Psalm 89:50 Hebrew lacks the insults
- Psalm 89:38 : See Ps. 44:9
- Psalm 89:38 : ver. 20, 51
- Psalm 89:39 : Lam. 2:7
- Psalm 89:39 : See ver. 3
- Psalm 89:39 : See Ps. 74:7
- Psalm 89:39 : Job 19:9
- Psalm 89:40 : See Ps. 80:12
- Psalm 89:41 : [See ver. 40 above]; See Ps. 80:12
- Psalm 89:41 : [ver. 50]; See Ps. 44:13; 69:9, 19
- Psalm 89:45 : Ps. 102:23
- Psalm 89:45 : Ps. 71:13; 109:29
- Psalm 89:46 : See Ps. 13:1
- Psalm 89:46 : Ps. 78:63; 79:5
- Psalm 89:47 : Job 7:7; 10:9
- Psalm 89:47 : [Job 14:1]
- Psalm 89:47 : Ps. 39:5
- Psalm 89:48 : [Ps. 49:9]
- Psalm 89:48 : [Luke 2:26; Heb. 11:5]
- Psalm 89:48 : See Ps. 16:10
- Psalm 89:49 : [ver. 1, 2]
- Psalm 89:49 : [ver. 1, 2]
- Psalm 89:50 : [ver. 41]; See Ps. 74:18, 22
- Psalm 89:50 : Ps. 79:12
- Psalm 89:51 : [Ps. 17:11; 56:6]
- Psalm 89:51 : ver. 20, 38
- Psalm 89:52 : See Ps. 41:13