The Coming Assyrian Invasion
8 Then the Lord said to me, “Take a large tablet (A)and write on it in common characters,[a] ‘Belonging to Maher-shalal-hash-baz.’[b] 2 And (B)I will get reliable witnesses, (C)Uriah the priest and Zechariah the son of Jeberechiah, to attest for me.”
3 And I went to the prophetess, and she conceived and bore a son. Then the Lord said to me, (D)“Call his name Maher-shalal-hash-baz; 4 (E)for before the boy knows how to cry ‘My father’ or ‘My mother,’ the (F)wealth of (G)Damascus and the spoil of (H)Samaria will be carried away before the king of Assyria.”
5 The Lord spoke to me again: 6 “Because this people has refused the waters of (I)Shiloah that flow gently, and rejoice over (J)Rezin and the son of Remaliah, 7 therefore, behold, the Lord is bringing up against them (K)the waters of (L)the River,[c] mighty and many, the king of Assyria and all his glory. And it (M)will rise over all its channels and go over all its banks, 8 and it will sweep on into Judah, it will overflow and pass on, (N)reaching even to the neck, and its (O)outspread wings will fill the breadth of your land, (P)O Immanuel.”
9 Be broken,[d] you peoples, and (Q)be shattered;[e]
give ear, all you far countries;
strap on your armor and be shattered;
strap on your armor and be shattered.
10 Take counsel together, but it will come to nothing;
speak a word, (R)but it will not stand,
for God (S)is with us.[f]
Fear God, Wait for the Lord
11 For the Lord spoke thus to me with his strong hand upon me, and (T)warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: 12 “Do not call (U)conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and (V)do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread. 13 But the Lord of hosts, (W)him you shall honor as holy. Let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 14 And he will become a (X)sanctuary and (Y)a stone of offense and a rock of stumbling to both houses of Israel, a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15 And many (Z)shall stumble on it. They shall fall and be broken; they shall be snared and taken.”
16 Bind up (AA)the testimony; (AB)seal the teaching[g] among my disciples. 17 I will (AC)wait for the Lord, who is (AD)hiding his face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope in him. 18 (AE)Behold, I and (AF)the children whom the Lord has given me are signs and portents in Israel from the Lord of hosts, who dwells on Mount Zion. 19 And when they say to you, “Inquire of the (AG)mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of (AH)the dead on behalf of the living? 20 (AI)To the teaching and to the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no (AJ)dawn. 21 They will pass through the land,[h] greatly distressed and hungry. And when they are hungry, they will be enraged and will speak contemptuously against[i] their king and their God, and turn their faces upward. 22 (AK)And they will look to the earth, but behold, distress and darkness, the gloom of anguish. And they will be thrust into (AL)thick darkness.
For to Us a Child Is Born
9 [j] But there will be no (AM)gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he (AN)brought into contempt the land of (AO)Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he (AP)has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations.[k]
2 [l] (AQ)The people (AR)who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of (AS)deep darkness,
on them has light shone.
3 (AT)You have multiplied the nation;
you have increased its joy;
they rejoice before you
as with (AU)joy at the harvest,
as they (AV)are glad (AW)when they divide the spoil.
4 (AX)For the yoke of his burden,
(AY)and the staff for his shoulder,
the rod of his oppressor,
you have broken as (AZ)on the day of Midian.
5 (BA)For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult
and every garment rolled in blood
will be burned as fuel for the fire.
6 (BB)For to us a child is born,
to us (BC)a son is given;
(BD)and the government shall be (BE)upon[m] his shoulder,
and his name shall be called[n]
Wonderful (BF)Counselor, (BG)Mighty God,
(BH)Everlasting (BI)Father, Prince of (BJ)Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace
(BK)there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
(BL)with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
(BM)The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
Judgment on Arrogance and Oppression
8 The Lord has sent a word against Jacob,
and it will fall on Israel;
9 and all the people will know,
(BN)Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria,
who say in pride and in arrogance of heart:
10 “The bricks have fallen,
but we will build with dressed stones;
the sycamores have been cut down,
but we will put cedars in their place.”
11 But the Lord raises the adversaries of Rezin against him,
and stirs up his enemies.
12 (BO)The Syrians on the east and (BP)the Philistines on the west
devour Israel with open mouth.
(BQ)For all this his anger has not turned away,
and his hand is stretched out still.
13 The people (BR)did not turn to him who struck them,
nor inquire of the Lord of hosts.
14 So the Lord cut off from Israel (BS)head and tail,
palm branch and reed in one day—
15 (BT)the elder and honored man is the head,
and (BU)the prophet who teaches lies is the tail;
16 for those who guide this people have been leading them astray,
and those who are guided by them are swallowed up.
17 Therefore the Lord does not (BV)rejoice over their young men,
and has no compassion on their fatherless and widows;
for everyone is (BW)godless and an evildoer,
and every mouth speaks (BX)folly.[o]
(BY)For all this his anger has not turned away,
and his hand is stretched out still.
18 For wickedness burns like (BZ)a fire;
it consumes briers and thorns;
it kindles the thickets of the forest,
and they roll upward in a column of smoke.
19 Through the wrath of the Lord of hosts
the land is scorched,
and (CA)the people are like fuel for the fire;
(CB)no one spares another.
20 (CC)They slice meat on the right, but are still hungry,
and they devour on the left, but are not satisfied;
(CD)each devours the flesh of his own arm,
21 Manasseh devours Ephraim, and Ephraim devours Manasseh;
together they are (CE)against Judah.
(CF)For all this his anger has not turned away,
and his hand is stretched out still.
- Isaiah 8:1 Hebrew with a man's stylus
- Isaiah 8:1 Maher-shalal-hash-baz means The spoil speeds, the prey hastens
- Isaiah 8:7 That is, the Euphrates
- Isaiah 8:9 Or Be evil
- Isaiah 8:9 Or dismayed
- Isaiah 8:10 The Hebrew for God is with us is Immanuel
- Isaiah 8:16 Or law; also verse 20
- Isaiah 8:21 Hebrew it
- Isaiah 8:21 Or speak contemptuously by
- Isaiah 9:1 Ch 8:23 in Hebrew
- Isaiah 9:1 Or of the Gentiles
- Isaiah 9:2 Ch 9:1 in Hebrew
- Isaiah 9:6 Or is upon
- Isaiah 9:6 Or is called
- Isaiah 9:17 Or speaks disgraceful things
- Isaiah 8:1 : ch. 30:8
- Isaiah 8:2 : [ch. 43:10]
- Isaiah 8:2 : 2 Kgs. 16:10, 11, 15, 16
- Isaiah 8:3 : [Hos. 1:4]
- Isaiah 8:4 : [ch. 7:16]
- Isaiah 8:4 : [ch. 7:16]
- Isaiah 8:4 : See ch. 7:8, 9
- Isaiah 8:4 : See ch. 7:8, 9
- Isaiah 8:6 : [Neh. 3:15; John 9:7, 11]
- Isaiah 8:6 : See ch. 7:1, 4
- Isaiah 8:7 : [ch. 17:12, 13]
- Isaiah 8:7 : See ch. 7:20
- Isaiah 8:7 : [Jer. 46:8]
- Isaiah 8:8 : ch. 30:28
- Isaiah 8:8 : [ch. 36:1]
- Isaiah 8:8 : ch. 7:14
- Isaiah 8:9 : [Dan. 2:34, 35]
- Isaiah 8:10 : ch. 7:7
- Isaiah 8:10 : [ver. 8; Rom. 8:31]
- Isaiah 8:11 : [Ezek. 2:8]
- Isaiah 8:12 : [ch. 7:2]
- Isaiah 8:12 : Cited 1 Pet. 3:14, 15
- Isaiah 8:13 : See Num. 20:12
- Isaiah 8:14 : Ezek. 11:16
- Isaiah 8:14 : Cited Rom. 9:33; 1 Pet. 2:8; [ch. 28:16]
- Isaiah 8:15 : [ch. 28:13; Matt. 21:44; Luke 20:18]
- Isaiah 8:16 : ver. 1, 2
- Isaiah 8:16 : Dan. 12:4
- Isaiah 8:17 : Ps. 27:14; 33:20; Hab. 2:3
- Isaiah 8:17 : ch. 1:15; 54:8; Deut. 31:17
- Isaiah 8:18 : Cited Heb. 2:13
- Isaiah 8:18 : [ch. 7:3]
- Isaiah 8:19 : ch. 19:3; 2 Kgs. 21:6; 23:24; 2 Chr. 33:6; See Lev. 19:31
- Isaiah 8:19 : [Ps. 106:28]; See 1 Sam. 28:11-14
- Isaiah 8:20 : [Luke 16:29]
- Isaiah 8:20 : [ch. 60:1]
- Isaiah 8:22 : ch. 5:30
- Isaiah 8:22 : Nah. 1:8
- Isaiah 9:1 : [ch. 8:22]
- Isaiah 9:1 : [2 Kgs. 15:29; 2 Chr. 16:4]
- Isaiah 9:1 : Cited Matt. 4:15, 16
- Isaiah 9:1 : ch. 26:15
- Isaiah 9:2 : [See ver. 1 above]; Cited Matt. 4:15, 16
- Isaiah 9:2 : [Luke 1:79; Eph. 5:8, 14]
- Isaiah 9:2 : See Job 3:5
- Isaiah 9:3 : ch. 26:15
- Isaiah 9:3 : Ps. 4:7; [John 4:36]
- Isaiah 9:3 : Ps. 119:162; [1 Sam. 30:16]
- Isaiah 9:3 : [Judg. 5:30]
- Isaiah 9:4 : ch. 10:27; 14:25; Nah. 1:13; [Matt. 11:29]
- Isaiah 9:4 : ch. 10:5, 24; 14:5
- Isaiah 9:4 : ch. 10:26; Ps. 83:9; See Judg. 7:19-25; 8:10-21
- Isaiah 9:5 : Ezek. 39:9
- Isaiah 9:6 : Luke 2:11; [John 3:16]
- Isaiah 9:6 : ch. 7:14
- Isaiah 9:6 : [Matt. 28:18; 1 Cor. 15:25]
- Isaiah 9:6 : ch. 22:22
- Isaiah 9:6 : [ch. 28:29]
- Isaiah 9:6 : ch. 10:21; Deut. 10:17; Neh. 9:32; Jer. 32:18; [Ps. 45:3]
- Isaiah 9:6 : Ps. 72:17
- Isaiah 9:6 : ch. 63:16; [John 14:18]
- Isaiah 9:6 : Ps. 72:7; [Eph. 2:14]; See ch. 11:6-9
- Isaiah 9:7 : Ps. 89:4; Luke 1:32, 33
- Isaiah 9:7 : Jer. 23:5
- Isaiah 9:7 : ch. 37:32; 2 Kgs. 19:31; [Zech. 1:14]
- Isaiah 9:9 : ch. 7:2, 5, 8, 9, 17
- Isaiah 9:12 : [2 Kgs. 16:6]
- Isaiah 9:12 : [2 Chr. 28:18]
- Isaiah 9:12 : ver. 17, 21; ch. 5:25; 10:4
- Isaiah 9:13 : [ch. 1:5; Hos. 7:10]
- Isaiah 9:14 : ch. 19:15; Deut. 28:13
- Isaiah 9:15 : ch. 3:2, 3
- Isaiah 9:15 : [ch. 28:7; Mic. 3:5]
- Isaiah 9:17 : Ps. 147:10, 11
- Isaiah 9:17 : ch. 10:6
- Isaiah 9:17 : Gen. 34:7
- Isaiah 9:17 : [See ver. 12 above]; ver. 17, 21; ch. 5:25; 10:4
- Isaiah 9:18 : Ps. 83:14; [James 3:5]
- Isaiah 9:19 : ch. 24:6
- Isaiah 9:19 : [Mic. 7:2]
- Isaiah 9:20 : ch. 8:21
- Isaiah 9:20 : ch. 49:26; See Deut. 28:53-57
- Isaiah 9:21 : [ch. 11:13]; See 2 Chr. 28:6-9
- Isaiah 9:21 : See ver. 12
2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Paul's Visions and His Thorn
12 I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and (A)revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man (B)in Christ who fourteen years ago was (C)caught up to (D)the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, (E)God knows. 3 And I know that this man was caught up into (F)paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, (G)God knows— 4 and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. 5 On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, (H)except of my weaknesses— 6 though if I should wish to boast, (I)I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. 7 So (J)to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,[a] (K)a thorn was given me in the flesh, (L)a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 (M)Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, (N)“My grace is sufficient for you, for (O)my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that (P)the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 (Q)For the sake of Christ, then, (R)I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For (S)when I am weak, then I am strong.
- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Or hears from me, even because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations. So to keep me from becoming conceited
- 2 Corinthians 12:1 : Gal. 1:12; 2:2; Eph. 3:3
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 : See ch. 5:17
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 : ver. 3; 1 Thess. 4:17; Rev. 12:5; [Ezek. 8:3; Acts 8:39]
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 : See Ps. 148:4
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 : ch. 11:11
- 2 Corinthians 12:3 : Luke 23:43; Rev. 2:7; [Gen. 2:8]
- 2 Corinthians 12:3 : [See ver. 2 above]; ch. 11:11
- 2 Corinthians 12:5 : See 1 Cor. 2:3
- 2 Corinthians 12:6 : ch. 5:13; 11:16, 17; [ver. 11]
- 2 Corinthians 12:7 : [ch. 10:10]
- 2 Corinthians 12:7 : [Num. 33:55; Ezek. 28:24]
- 2 Corinthians 12:7 : [Luke 13:16]; See 1 Cor. 5:5
- 2 Corinthians 12:8 : [Matt. 26:44]
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 : Isa. 43:2
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 : Isa. 40:29-31; [Phil. 4:13]
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 : See 1 Cor. 2:5
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 : [ch. 5:15]; See Matt. 5:11, 12
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 : Rom. 5:3
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 : [ch. 13:4]
Cast Your Burden on the Lord
55 (B)Give ear to my prayer, O God,
and hide not yourself from my plea for mercy!
2 Attend to me, and answer me;
I am restless (C)in my complaint and I (D)moan,
3 because of the noise of the enemy,
because of the oppression of the wicked.
For they (E)drop trouble upon me,
and in anger they bear a grudge against me.
4 My heart is in anguish within me;
(F)the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
5 Fear and trembling come upon me,
and (G)horror (H)overwhelms me.
6 And I say, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest;
7 (I)yes, I would wander far away;
I would lodge in the wilderness; Selah
8 I would hurry to find a shelter
from (J)the raging wind and tempest.”
9 Destroy, O Lord, (K)divide their tongues;
for I see (L)violence and strife in the city.
10 Day and night they go around it
on its walls,
and (M)iniquity and trouble are within it;
11 ruin is in its midst;
(N)oppression and fraud
do not depart from its marketplace.
12 For it is not an enemy who taunts me—
then I could bear it;
it is not an adversary who (O)deals insolently with me—
then I could hide from him.
13 (P)But it is you, a man, my equal,
my companion, my familiar friend.
14 We used to take sweet counsel together;
within God's house we walked in (Q)the throng.
15 Let death steal over them;
let them go down to Sheol (R)alive;
for evil is in their dwelling place and in their heart.
16 But I call to God,
and the Lord will save me.
17 (S)Evening and (T)morning and at (U)noon
I (V)utter my complaint and moan,
and he hears my voice.
18 He redeems my soul in safety
from the battle that I wage,
for (W)many are arrayed against me.
19 God will give ear and humble them,
he who is (X)enthroned from of old, Selah
because they do not (Y)change
and do not fear God.
20 My companion[b] (Z)stretched out his hand against his friends;
he violated his covenant.
21 His (AA)speech was (AB)smooth as butter,
yet war was in his heart;
his words were softer than oil,
yet they were (AC)drawn swords.
- Psalm 55:1 : Ps. 4, title
- Psalm 55:1 : Ps. 54:2; 61:1; 86:6
- Psalm 55:2 : ver. 17; Ps. 64:1
- Psalm 55:2 : [Isa. 38:14; 59:11]
- Psalm 55:3 : [2 Sam. 16:7, 8]
- Psalm 55:4 : Ps. 116:3
- Psalm 55:5 : Job 21:6; Isa. 21:4; Ezek. 7:18
- Psalm 55:5 : Ps. 78:53
- Psalm 55:7 : [Jer. 9:2]
- Psalm 55:8 : Ps. 83:15
- Psalm 55:9 : [Gen. 11:9]
- Psalm 55:9 : Jer. 6:7
- Psalm 55:10 : Ps. 5:9
- Psalm 55:11 : [Ps. 10:7]
- Psalm 55:12 : Job 19:5
- Psalm 55:13 : [2 Sam. 15:12; 16:23]; See Ps. 41:9
- Psalm 55:14 : Ps. 42:4
- Psalm 55:15 : Num. 16:30, 33; Prov. 1:12; [Ps. 124:3]
- Psalm 55:17 : Ps. 141:2; Acts 3:1; 10:3, 30
- Psalm 55:17 : Ps. 5:3; 88:13; 92:2
- Psalm 55:17 : Acts 10:9; [Dan. 6:10]
- Psalm 55:17 : ver. 2
- Psalm 55:18 : [Ps. 56:2]
- Psalm 55:19 : Deut. 33:27
- Psalm 55:19 : Job 10:17; See Job 21:7-15
- Psalm 55:20 : Acts 12:1
- Psalm 55:21 : See Ps. 28:3
- Psalm 55:21 : Prov. 5:3, 4
- Psalm 55:21 : See Ps. 57:4
- Psalm 55:22 : See Ps. 37:5
- Psalm 55:22 : Ps. 10:6
- Psalm 55:23 : ver. 15; Ps. 56:7; 59:11
- Psalm 55:23 : Ps. 69:15; 94:13
- Psalm 55:23 : Ps. 5:6
- Psalm 55:23 : Prov. 10:27; See Job 15:32
- Psalm 55:23 : See Ps. 11:1