2 Samuel 13
Amnon and Tamar
13 Now (A)Absalom, David's son, had a beautiful sister, whose name was (B)Tamar. And after a time Amnon, David's son, loved her. 2 And Amnon was so tormented that he made himself ill because of his sister Tamar, for she was a virgin, and it seemed impossible to Amnon to do anything to her. 3 But Amnon had a friend, whose name was Jonadab, the son of (C)Shimeah, David's brother. And Jonadab was a very crafty man. 4 And he said to him, “O son of the king, why are you so haggard morning after morning? Will you not tell me?” Amnon said to him, “I love Tamar, my brother Absalom's sister.” 5 Jonadab said to him, “Lie down on your bed and pretend to be ill. And when your father comes to see you, say to him, ‘Let my sister Tamar come and give me bread to eat, and prepare the food in my sight, that I may see it and eat it from her hand.’” 6 So Amnon lay down and pretended to be ill. And when the king came to see him, Amnon said to the king, “Please let my sister Tamar come and (D)make a couple of cakes in my sight, that I may eat from her hand.”
7 Then David sent home to Tamar, saying, “Go to your brother Amnon's house and prepare food for him.” 8 So Tamar went to her brother Amnon's house, where he was lying down. And she took dough and kneaded it and made cakes in his sight and baked the cakes. 9 And she took the pan and emptied it out before him, but he refused to eat. And Amnon said, (E)“Send out everyone from me.” So everyone went out from him. 10 Then Amnon said to Tamar, “Bring the food into the chamber, that I may eat from your hand.” And Tamar took the cakes she had made and brought them into the chamber to Amnon her brother. 11 But when she brought them near him to eat, he took hold of her and said to her, “Come, lie with me, my sister.” 12 She answered him, “No, my brother, do not violate[a] me, for (F)such a thing is not done in Israel; do not do this (G)outrageous thing. 13 As for me, where could I carry my shame? And as for you, you would be as one of (H)the outrageous fools in Israel. Now therefore, please speak to the king, for he will not withhold me from you.” 14 But he would not listen to her, and being stronger than she, he violated her and lay with her.
15 Then Amnon hated her with very great hatred, so that the hatred with which he hated her was greater than the love with which he had loved her. And Amnon said to her, “Get up! Go!” 16 But she said to him, “No, my brother, for this wrong in sending me away is greater than the other that you did to me.”[b] But he would not listen to her. 17 He called the young man who served him and said, “Put this woman out of my presence and bolt the door after her.” 18 Now she was wearing (I)a long robe with sleeves,[c] for thus were the virgin daughters of the king dressed. So his servant put her out and bolted the door after her. 19 And Tamar (J)put ashes on her head and (K)tore the long robe that she wore. And (L)she laid her hand on her head and went away, crying aloud as she went.
20 And her brother Absalom said to her, “Has Amnon your brother been with you? Now hold your peace, my sister. He is your brother; do not take this to heart.” So Tamar lived, a desolate woman, in her brother Absalom's house. 21 When King David heard of all these things, he was very angry.[d] 22 But Absalom spoke to Amnon (M)neither good nor bad, for Absalom hated Amnon, because he had violated his sister Tamar.
Absalom Murders Amnon
23 After two full years Absalom had (N)sheepshearers at Baal-hazor, which is near Ephraim, and Absalom invited all the king's sons. 24 And Absalom came to the king and said, “Behold, your servant has sheepshearers. Please let the king and his servants go with your servant.” 25 But the king said to Absalom, “No, my son, let us not all go, lest we be burdensome to you.” He pressed him, but he would not go but gave him his blessing. 26 Then Absalom said, “If not, please let my brother Amnon go with us.” And the king said to him, “Why should he go with you?” 27 But Absalom pressed him until he let Amnon and all the king's sons go with him. 28 Then Absalom commanded his servants, “Mark when Amnon's (O)heart is merry with wine, and when I say to you, ‘Strike Amnon,’ then kill him. Do not fear; have I not commanded you? Be courageous and be valiant.” 29 So the servants of Absalom did to Amnon as Absalom had commanded. Then all the king's sons arose, and each mounted his mule and fled.
30 While they were on the way, news came to David, “Absalom has struck down all the king's sons, and not one of them is left.” 31 Then the king arose and (P)tore his garments and (Q)lay on the earth. And all his servants who were standing by tore their garments. 32 But (R)Jonadab the son of Shimeah, David's brother, said, “Let not my lord suppose that they have killed all the young men, the king's sons, for Amnon alone is dead. For by the command of Absalom this has been determined from the day he violated his sister Tamar. 33 Now therefore let not my lord the king so (S)take it to heart as to suppose that all the king's sons are dead, for Amnon alone is dead.”
Absalom Flees to Geshur
34 (T)But Absalom fled. And the young man who kept the watch lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, many people were coming from the road behind him[e] by the side of the mountain. 35 And Jonadab said to the king, “Behold, the king's sons have come; as your servant said, so it has come about.” 36 And as soon as he had finished speaking, behold, the king's sons came and lifted up their voice and wept. And the king also and all his servants wept very bitterly.
37 (U)But Absalom fled and went to (V)Talmai the son of Ammihud, king of (W)Geshur. And David mourned for his son day after day. 38 (X)So Absalom fled and went to Geshur, and was there three years. 39 And the spirit of the king[f] longed to go out[g] to Absalom, because (Y)he was comforted about Amnon, since he was dead.
- 2 Samuel 13:12 Or humiliate; also verses 14, 22, 32
- 2 Samuel 13:16 Compare Septuagint, Vulgate; the meaning of the Hebrew is uncertain
- 2 Samuel 13:18 Or a robe of many colors (compare Genesis 37:3); compare long robe, verse 19
- 2 Samuel 13:21 Dead Sea Scroll, Septuagint add But he would not punish his son Amnon, because he loved him, since he was his firstborn
- 2 Samuel 13:34 Septuagint the Horonaim Road
- 2 Samuel 13:39 Dead Sea Scroll, Septuagint; Hebrew David
- 2 Samuel 13:39 Compare Vulgate ceased to go out
- 2 Samuel 13:1 : ch. 3:2, 3; 1 Chr. 3:2
- 2 Samuel 13:1 : 1 Chr. 3:9
- 2 Samuel 13:3 : 1 Chr. 2:13; [1 Sam. 16:9; 17:13]
- 2 Samuel 13:6 : Gen. 18:6
- 2 Samuel 13:9 : [Gen. 45:1]
- 2 Samuel 13:12 : Lev. 18:9, 11; 20:17
- 2 Samuel 13:12 : Gen. 34:7; Judg. 19:23; 20:6
- 2 Samuel 13:13 : [ch. 3:33]
- 2 Samuel 13:18 : Gen. 37:3; Judg. 5:30; Ps. 45:14
- 2 Samuel 13:19 : See Josh. 7:6
- 2 Samuel 13:19 : See ch. 1:11
- 2 Samuel 13:19 : Jer. 2:37
- 2 Samuel 13:22 : Gen. 24:50; 31:24
- 2 Samuel 13:23 : Gen. 31:19; 38:12, 13; 1 Sam. 25:4
- 2 Samuel 13:28 : See Judg. 19:6
- 2 Samuel 13:31 : See ch. 1:11
- 2 Samuel 13:31 : ch. 12:16
- 2 Samuel 13:32 : ver. 3
- 2 Samuel 13:33 : ch. 19:19
- 2 Samuel 13:34 : ver. 37, 38
- 2 Samuel 13:37 : ver. 34
- 2 Samuel 13:37 : ch. 3:3; 1 Chr. 3:2
- 2 Samuel 13:37 : ch. 14:23, 32; 15:8
- 2 Samuel 13:38 : [See ver. 37 above]; ver. 34
- 2 Samuel 13:39 : Gen. 24:67; 38:12; [Gen. 37:35]
The High Priestly Prayer
17 When Jesus had spoken these words, (A)he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, (B)the hour has come; (C)glorify your Son that the Son may (D)glorify you, 2 since (E)you have given him authority over all flesh, (F)to give eternal life to all (G)whom you have given him. 3 (H)And this is eternal life, (I)that they know you, (J)the only (K)true God, and (L)Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I (M)glorified you on earth, (N)having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, (O)glorify me in your own presence with the glory (P)that I had with you (Q)before the world existed.
6 (R)“I have manifested your name to the people (S)whom you gave me out of the world. (T)Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything (U)that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them (V)the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that (W)I came from you; and (X)they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. (Y)I am not praying for the world but for those (Z)whom you have given me, for (AA)they are yours. 10 (AB)All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and (AC)I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but (AD)they are in the world, and (AE)I am coming to you. (AF)Holy Father, (AG)keep them in your name, (AH)which you have given me, (AI)that they may be one, (AJ)even as we are one. 12 (AK)While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have (AL)guarded them, and (AM)not one of them has been lost except (AN)the son of destruction, (AO)that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now (AP)I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have (AQ)my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 (AR)I have given them your word, and (AS)the world has hated them (AT)because they are not of the world, (AU)just as I am not of the world. 15 I (AV)do not ask that you (AW)take them out of the world, but that you (AX)keep them from (AY)the evil one.[a] 16 (AZ)They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 (BA)Sanctify them[b] in the truth; (BB)your word is truth. 18 (BC)As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And (BD)for their sake (BE)I consecrate myself,[c] that they also (BF)may be sanctified[d] in truth.
20 “I do not (BG)ask for these only, but also for those (BH)who will believe in me through their word, 21 (BI)that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that (BJ)they also may be in (BK)us, so that the world (BL)may believe that you have sent me. 22 (BM)The glory that you have given me (BN)I have given to them, (BO)that they may be one even as we are one, 23 (BP)I in them and you in me, (BQ)that they may become perfectly one, (BR)so that the world may know that you sent me and (BS)loved them even as (BT)you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be (BU)with me (BV)where I am, (BW)to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me (BX)before the foundation of the world. 25 (BY)O righteous Father, even though (BZ)the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 (CA)I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love (CB)with which you have loved me may be in them, and (CC)I in them.”
- John 17:1 : ch. 11:41
- John 17:1 : [ch. 7:30]; See ch. 12:23
- John 17:1 : See ch. 7:39
- John 17:1 : ver. 4
- John 17:2 : See Matt. 28:18; Rev. 2:26, 27
- John 17:2 : ch. 10:28; 1 John 2:25
- John 17:2 : ver. 6, 9, 24; ch. 6:37, 39; 10:29; 18:9; Heb. 2:13
- John 17:3 : [1 John 5:20]
- John 17:3 : Hos. 2:20; 6:3; 2 Pet. 1:2, 3
- John 17:3 : ch. 5:44
- John 17:3 : 1 Thess. 1:9; 1 John 5:20; [Jer. 10:10]
- John 17:3 : See ch. 3:17
- John 17:4 : ver. 1; See ch. 13:31
- John 17:4 : [ch. 19:30; Luke 22:37]
- John 17:5 : ch. 13:32
- John 17:5 : ch. 1:1, 2; [Rev. 3:21]
- John 17:5 : ver. 24; Prov. 8:23; See ch. 8:58
- John 17:6 : ver. 26; Ps. 22:22
- John 17:6 : See ver. 2
- John 17:6 : ver. 9
- John 17:7 : [See ver. 6 above]; ver. 9
- John 17:8 : ver. 14; ch. 15:15; [ch. 8:26; 12:49]
- John 17:8 : ch. 8:42; 16:27
- John 17:8 : ver. 21, 25; ch. 11:42; 16:30
- John 17:9 : [ver. 20, 21]
- John 17:9 : See ver. 2
- John 17:9 : ver. 6
- John 17:10 : ch. 16:15
- John 17:10 : 2 Thess. 1:10
- John 17:11 : ch. 13:1
- John 17:11 : See ch. 14:12
- John 17:11 : [ver. 25]
- John 17:11 : ver. 12, 15; Jude 1
- John 17:11 : [Ex. 23:21; Phil. 2:9; Rev. 19:12]
- John 17:11 : ver. 21, 22; [ch. 10:16; Rom. 12:5; Gal. 3:28; Eph. 1:10; 4:4]
- John 17:11 : ch. 10:30
- John 17:12 : See ch. 14:25
- John 17:12 : 2 Thess. 3:3; Jude 24
- John 17:12 : ch. 18:9; [ch. 6:39; 10:28]
- John 17:12 : 2 Thess. 2:3
- John 17:12 : Ps. 109:8; Acts 1:16-20; [ch. 13:18]
- John 17:13 : See ch. 14:12
- John 17:13 : See ch. 15:11
- John 17:14 : ver. 3
- John 17:14 : See ch. 15:19
- John 17:14 : ver. 16
- John 17:14 : ch. 8:23
- John 17:15 : ver. 9
- John 17:15 : [1 Cor. 5:10]
- John 17:15 : ver. 11
- John 17:15 : See Matt. 13:19
- John 17:16 : ver. 14
- John 17:17 : [1 Thess. 5:23; 2 Thess. 2:13; 1 Pet. 1:22]; See ch. 15:3
- John 17:17 : 2 Sam. 7:28; Ps. 119:160
- John 17:18 : ch. 20:21; [ch. 4:38; Matt. 10:5]
- John 17:19 : [Titus 2:14]
- John 17:19 : ch. 10:36
- John 17:19 : [1 Cor. 1:2, 30; 6:11; Heb. 2:11; 10:10]
- John 17:20 : ver. 9
- John 17:20 : [ch. 4:39; Rom. 10:14; 1 Cor. 3:5]
- John 17:21 : See ver. 11; [1 Cor. 6:17]
- John 17:21 : 1 John 1:3; 3:24; 5:20
- John 17:21 : ch. 14:23
- John 17:21 : See ver. 8
- John 17:22 : ver. 24; [ch. 1:14; Luke 9:26]
- John 17:22 : Rom. 8:30
- John 17:22 : [See ver. 21 above]; See ver. 11; [1 Cor. 6:17]
- John 17:23 : ver. 26; ch. 14:20; Rom. 8:10; 2 Cor. 13:5
- John 17:23 : 1 John 2:5; [Col. 3:14; 1 John 4:12, 17]
- John 17:23 : ver. 21; ch. 14:31
- John 17:23 : ch. 16:27
- John 17:23 : ver. 24, 26; See ch. 5:20
- John 17:24 : 2 Tim. 2:11, 12
- John 17:24 : See ch. 12:26
- John 17:24 : ch. 1:14; 2 Cor. 3:18; [1 John 3:2]
- John 17:24 : Eph. 1:4; 1 Pet. 1:20; See ver. 5
- John 17:25 : Jer. 12:1; [ver. 11; Rev. 16:5]; See 1 John 1:9
- John 17:25 : See ch. 8:55; 10:15
- John 17:26 : ver. 6; ch. 15:15
- John 17:26 : ver. 23; ch. 15:9
- John 17:26 : See ver. 23
81 My soul (A)longs for your salvation;
I (B)hope in your word.
82 My (C)eyes long for your promise;
I ask, (D)“When will you comfort me?”
83 For I have (E)become like a (F)wineskin in the smoke,
yet I have not forgotten your statutes.
84 (G)How long must your servant endure?[a]
(H)When will you judge those who persecute me?
85 (I)The insolent have (J)dug pitfalls for me;
they do not live according to your law.
86 All your commandments are (K)sure;
they persecute me (L)with falsehood; (M)help me!
87 They have almost made an end of me on earth,
but I have not forsaken your precepts.
88 In your steadfast love (N)give me life,
that I may keep the testimonies of your mouth.
89 Forever, O Lord, your (O)word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.
90 Your (P)faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have (Q)established the earth, and it (R)stands fast.
91 By your (S)appointment they stand this day,
for all things are your servants.
92 If your law had not been my (T)delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have (U)given me life.
94 I am yours; save me,
(V)for I have sought your precepts.
95 The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
but I consider your testimonies.
96 I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but your commandment is exceedingly (W)broad.
- Psalm 119:84 Hebrew How many are the days of your servant?
- Psalm 119:81 : See Ps. 84:2
- Psalm 119:81 : ver. 74, 114
- Psalm 119:82 : See Ps. 69:3
- Psalm 119:82 : [Ps. 101:2]
- Psalm 119:83 : [Job 30:30]
- Psalm 119:83 : [Matt. 9:17; Mark 2:22]
- Psalm 119:84 : [Ps. 39:4]
- Psalm 119:84 : Rev. 6:10; [Zech. 1:12]
- Psalm 119:85 : ver. 51
- Psalm 119:85 : See Ps. 7:15
- Psalm 119:86 : ver. 138
- Psalm 119:86 : ver. 78; Ps. 35:19
- Psalm 119:86 : Ps. 109:26
- Psalm 119:88 : ver. 25; See Ps. 71:20
- Psalm 119:89 : ver. 152; [Matt. 24:35; 1 Pet. 1:25]; [Jer. 31:35-37]
- Psalm 119:90 : See Ps. 36:5
- Psalm 119:90 : [Ps. 148:6]
- Psalm 119:90 : Eccles. 1:4
- Psalm 119:91 : Jer. 33:25
- Psalm 119:92 : ver. 77
- Psalm 119:93 : ver. 25; See Ps. 71:20
- Psalm 119:94 : ver. 45
- Psalm 119:96 : [Ps. 18:19]
6 By (A)steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for,
and by (B)the fear of the Lord one (C)turns away from evil.
7 When a man's ways please the Lord,
(D)he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.