1 The vision of Obadiah.
Edom Will Be Humbled
Thus says the Lord God (A)concerning Edom:
(B)We have heard a report from the Lord,
and a messenger has been sent among the nations:
“Rise up! Let us rise against her for battle!”
2 Behold, I will make you small among the nations;
you shall be utterly despised.[a]
3 (C)The pride of your heart has deceived you,
you who live in the clefts of the rock,[b]
in your lofty dwelling,
(D)who say in your heart,
“Who will bring me down to the ground?”
4 Though you soar aloft like the eagle,
though your nest is set among the stars,
from there I will bring you down,
declares the Lord.
5 If (E)thieves came to you,
if plunderers came by night—
how you have been destroyed!—
would they not steal only enough for themselves?
If (F)grape gatherers came to you,
would they not leave gleanings?
6 (G)How Esau has been pillaged,
his treasures sought out!
7 All your allies have driven you to your border;
those at peace with you have deceived you;
they have prevailed against you;
(H)those who eat your bread[c] have set a trap beneath you—
(I)you have[d] no understanding.
8 (J)Will I not on that day, declares the Lord,
destroy the wise men out of Edom,
and understanding out of (K)Mount Esau?
9 And your mighty men shall be dismayed, (L)O Teman,
so that every man from (M)Mount Esau will be cut off by slaughter.
Edom's Violence Against Jacob
10 (N)Because of the violence done to your brother Jacob,
shame shall cover you,
(O)and you shall be cut off forever.
11 (P)On the day that you stood aloof,
(Q)on the day that strangers carried off his wealth
and foreigners entered his gates
(R)and cast lots for Jerusalem,
you were like one of them.
12 (S)But do not gloat over the day of your brother
in the day of his misfortune;
(T)do not rejoice over the people of Judah
in the day of their ruin;
(U)do not boast[e]
in the day of distress.
13 (V)Do not enter the gate of my people
in the day of their calamity;
(W)do not gloat over his disaster
in the day of his calamity;
(X)do not loot his wealth
in the day of his calamity.
14 (Y)Do not stand at the crossroads
to cut off his fugitives;
do not hand over his survivors
in the day of distress.
The Day of the Lord Is Near
15 For (Z)the day of the Lord is near upon all the nations.
(AA)As you have done, it shall be done to you;
your deeds shall return on your own head.
16 (AB)For as you have drunk on (AC)my holy mountain,
so all the nations shall drink continually;
they shall drink and swallow,
and shall be as though they had never been.
17 (AD)But in Mount Zion there shall be those who escape,
and it shall be holy,
(AE)and the house of Jacob shall possess their own possessions.
18 (AF)The house of Jacob shall be a fire,
and the house of Joseph a flame,
and the house of Esau (AG)stubble;
they shall burn them and consume them,
(AH)and there shall be no survivor for the house of Esau,
for the Lord has spoken.
The Kingdom of the Lord
19 Those of (AI)the Negeb (AJ)shall possess (AK)Mount Esau,
and those of the Shephelah shall possess (AL)the land of the Philistines;
they shall possess the land of Ephraim and the land of (AM)Samaria,
and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
20 The exiles of this host of the people of Israel
shall possess the land of the Canaanites as far as (AN)Zarephath,
and the exiles of Jerusalem who are in Sepharad
shall possess the cities of the Negeb.
21 (AO)Saviors shall go up to Mount Zion
to rule (AP)Mount Esau,
and (AQ)the kingdom shall be the Lord's.
- Obadiah 1:1 : See Jer. 49:7-22; Ezek. 25:12-14
- Obadiah 1:1 : For ver. 1-4, see Jer. 49:14-16
- Obadiah 1:3 : [Num. 24:21, 22]
- Obadiah 1:3 : [Isa. 14:13-15]
- Obadiah 1:5 : Jer. 49:9
- Obadiah 1:5 : Jer. 49:9
- Obadiah 1:6 : [Jer. 49:10]
- Obadiah 1:7 : [Ps. 41:9]
- Obadiah 1:7 : [Jer. 49:7]
- Obadiah 1:8 : [Isa. 29:14]
- Obadiah 1:8 : [Ezek. 35:2]
- Obadiah 1:9 : Amos 1:12; See 1 Chr. 1:45
- Obadiah 1:9 : [See ver. 8 above]; [Ezek. 35:2]
- Obadiah 1:10 : Num. 20:20, 21
- Obadiah 1:10 : [Ezek. 35:9]
- Obadiah 1:11 : Ps. 137:7; [Jer. 12:14]
- Obadiah 1:11 : See 2 Kgs. 25:10-20
- Obadiah 1:11 : Joel 3:3
- Obadiah 1:12 : [Ps. 22:17]
- Obadiah 1:12 : [Mic. 4:11; 7:8]
- Obadiah 1:12 : [1 Sam. 2:3]
- Obadiah 1:13 : [Prov. 17:5]
- Obadiah 1:13 : [Prov. 17:5]
- Obadiah 1:13 : [Ezek. 35:10]
- Obadiah 1:14 : [Ezek. 21:21]
- Obadiah 1:15 : See Joel 1:15
- Obadiah 1:15 : Jer. 50:29; Ezek. 35:15; Hab. 2:8
- Obadiah 1:16 : See Jer. 25:27, 28
- Obadiah 1:16 : See Joel 3:17
- Obadiah 1:17 : [Amos 9:8]; See Joel 2:32
- Obadiah 1:17 : [Amos 9:12]
- Obadiah 1:18 : Zech. 12:6; [Isa. 10:17; Jer. 5:14]
- Obadiah 1:18 : See Joel 2:5
- Obadiah 1:18 : Ezek. 25:14
- Obadiah 1:19 : [Josh. 10:40; Judg. 1:9]
- Obadiah 1:19 : [See ver. 17 above]; [Amos 9:12]
- Obadiah 1:19 : ver. 8
- Obadiah 1:19 : Jer. 17:26
- Obadiah 1:19 : See Jer. 23:13
- Obadiah 1:20 : 1 Kgs. 17:9; [Luke 4:26]
- Obadiah 1:21 : [2 Kgs. 13:5; Isa. 19:20; 1 Tim. 4:16; James 5:20]
- Obadiah 1:21 : [See ver. 19 above]; ver. 8
- Obadiah 1:21 : Ps. 22:28; Dan. 2:44; 7:14, 27; Zech. 14:9; Luke 1:33; 1 Cor. 15:24; Rev. 11:15; 19:6
The Throne in Heaven
4 After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me (A)like a trumpet, said, (B)“Come up here, and (C)I will show you what must take place after this.” 2 At once (D)I was in the Spirit, and behold, (E)a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne. 3 And he who sat there had the appearance of (F)jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was (G)a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald. 4 Around the throne were (H)twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, (I)clothed in white garments, with (J)golden crowns on their heads. 5 From the throne came (K)flashes of lightning, and rumblings[a] and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning (L)seven torches of fire, (M)which are the seven spirits of God, 6 and before the throne there was (N)as it were a sea of glass, like crystal.
And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are (O)four living creatures, (P)full of eyes in front and behind: 7 (Q)the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature with the face of a man, and the fourth living creature like an eagle in flight. 8 And the four living creatures, (R)each of them with six wings, are (S)full of eyes all around and within, and (T)day and night they never cease to say,
9 And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, (W)who lives forever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders (X)fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast (Y)their crowns before the throne, saying,
- Revelation 4:5 Or voices, or sounds
- Revelation 4:1 : ch. 1:10; [Ex. 19:19, 20]
- Revelation 4:1 : ch. 11:12
- Revelation 4:1 : ch. 1:1, 19; 22:6
- Revelation 4:2 : See ch. 1:10
- Revelation 4:2 : Ps. 11:4; 103:19; Isa. 66:1; Matt. 5:34; 23:22; See 1 Kgs. 22:19
- Revelation 4:3 : ch. 21:11
- Revelation 4:3 : Ezek. 1:28; [ch. 10:1; Gen. 9:13-17]
- Revelation 4:4 : ch. 11:16
- Revelation 4:4 : See ch. 3:4
- Revelation 4:4 : ver. 10; See James 1:12
- Revelation 4:5 : ch. 8:5; 11:19; 16:18; [Ex. 19:16]
- Revelation 4:5 : [Zech. 4:2]
- Revelation 4:5 : See ch. 1:4
- Revelation 4:6 : ch. 15:2; [ch. 21:18, 21; Ps. 77:19]
- Revelation 4:6 : Ezek. 1:5
- Revelation 4:6 : Ezek. 10:12
- Revelation 4:7 : [Ezek. 1:10; 10:14]
- Revelation 4:8 : Isa. 6:2
- Revelation 4:8 : ver. 6
- Revelation 4:8 : ch. 14:11
- Revelation 4:8 : Isa. 6:3
- Revelation 4:8 : See ch. 1:4
- Revelation 4:9 : ch. 1:18; 5:13; 15:7; Dan. 4:34; 12:7
- Revelation 4:10 : ch. 5:8, 14; 7:11; 11:16; 19:4
- Revelation 4:10 : ver. 4
- Revelation 4:11 : ch. 5:12
- Revelation 4:11 : ch. 10:6; 14:7; Gen. 1:1; Acts 14:15
- Revelation 4:11 : Ps. 33:9-11; [Eph. 1:11]
The Lord Has Chosen Zion
A Song of (A)Ascents.
132 Remember, O Lord, in David's favor,
all (B)the hardships he endured,
2 how he swore to the Lord
and (C)vowed to (D)the Mighty One of Jacob,
3 “I will not enter my house
or get into my bed,
4 I will not (E)give sleep to my eyes
or slumber to my eyelids,
5 until I (F)find a place for the Lord,
a dwelling place for (G)the Mighty One of Jacob.”
8 (L)Arise, O Lord, and go to your (M)resting place,
you and the ark of your (N)might.
9 Let your (O)priests be (P)clothed with righteousness,
and let your (Q)saints shout for joy.
10 For the sake of your servant David,
(R)do not turn away the face of (S)your anointed one.
11 (T)The Lord swore to David a sure oath
(U)from which he will not turn back:
(V)“One of the sons of your body[a]
I will set on your throne.
12 If your sons keep my covenant
and my testimonies that I shall teach them,
their sons also forever
shall (W)sit on your throne.”
13 For the Lord has (X)chosen Zion;
he has (Y)desired it for his dwelling place:
14 “This is my (Z)resting place forever;
here I will (AA)dwell, for I have desired it.
15 I will abundantly (AB)bless her provisions;
I will (AC)satisfy her poor with bread.
16 Her (AD)priests I will clothe with salvation,
and her (AE)saints will shout for joy.
17 There I will make (AF)a horn to sprout for David;
I have prepared (AG)a lamp for (AH)my anointed.
18 His enemies I will (AI)clothe with shame,
but on him his crown will shine.”
- Psalm 132:11 Hebrew of your fruit of the womb
- Psalm 132:1 : [See Ps. 120, title]
- Psalm 132:1 : 1 Chr. 22:14
- Psalm 132:2 : Ps. 50:14
- Psalm 132:2 : ver. 5; Gen. 49:24; Isa. 49:26; 60:16
- Psalm 132:4 : Prov. 6:4
- Psalm 132:5 : 1 Chr. 22:7; Acts 7:46
- Psalm 132:5 : [See ver. 2 above]; ver. 5; Gen. 49:24; Isa. 49:26; 60:16
- Psalm 132:6 : 1 Sam. 17:12; [Gen. 35:19]
- Psalm 132:6 : [1 Sam. 7:1]
- Psalm 132:7 : Ps. 5:7
- Psalm 132:7 : See Ps. 99:5
- Psalm 132:8 : Ps. 68:1; 2 Chr. 6:41, 42
- Psalm 132:8 : ver. 14
- Psalm 132:8 : Ps. 78:61
- Psalm 132:9 : ver. 16
- Psalm 132:9 : See Job 29:14
- Psalm 132:9 : [Ps. 149:5]
- Psalm 132:10 : [2 Kgs. 18:24]
- Psalm 132:10 : ver. 17; [1 Kgs. 1:39]
- Psalm 132:11 : Ps. 89:3, 34
- Psalm 132:11 : Ps. 110:4
- Psalm 132:11 : 2 Sam. 7:12; 2 Chr. 6:16; Luke 1:32; Acts 2:30
- Psalm 132:12 : 1 Kgs. 8:25; [Job 36:7]
- Psalm 132:13 : Ps. 78:68; [Ps. 135:21]
- Psalm 132:13 : See Ps. 68:16
- Psalm 132:14 : ver. 8
- Psalm 132:14 : Matt. 23:21
- Psalm 132:15 : Ps. 147:14
- Psalm 132:15 : Ruth 1:6
- Psalm 132:16 : ver. 9
- Psalm 132:16 : ver. 9
- Psalm 132:17 : Ezek. 29:21; [Luke 1:69]
- Psalm 132:17 : 1 Kgs. 11:36; 15:4; 2 Kgs. 8:19; 2 Chr. 21:7
- Psalm 132:17 : ver. 10
- Psalm 132:18 : See Job 8:22