Job's Final Appeal
31 “I have made a covenant with my (A)eyes;
how then could I gaze at a virgin?
2 What would be (B)my portion from God above
and (C)my heritage from the Almighty on high?
3 Is not calamity for the unrighteous,
and disaster for the workers of iniquity?
4 (D)Does not he see my ways
and (E)number all my steps?
5 “If I have walked with falsehood
and my foot has hastened to deceit;
6 (Let me be (F)weighed in a just balance,
and let God know my integrity!)
7 if my step has turned aside from the way
and (G)my heart has gone after my eyes,
and if any (H)spot has stuck to my hands,
8 then let me (I)sow, and another eat,
and let what grows for me[a] be rooted out.
9 “If my heart has been enticed toward a woman,
and I have (J)lain in wait at my neighbor's door,
10 then let my wife (K)grind for another,
and let others (L)bow down on her.
11 For that would be a heinous crime;
that would be an iniquity (M)to be punished by the judges;
12 for that would be a fire (N)that consumes as far as Abaddon,
and it would burn to the root all my increase.
13 “If I have rejected the cause of my manservant or my maidservant,
when they brought a complaint against me,
14 what then shall I do when God rises up?
When he (O)makes inquiry, what shall I answer him?
15 Did (P)not he who made me in the womb make him?
And did not one fashion us in the womb?
16 “If I have (Q)withheld anything that the poor desired,
or have (R)caused the eyes of the widow to fail,
17 or have eaten my morsel alone,
and the fatherless has not eaten of it
18 (for from my youth the fatherless[b] grew up with me as with a father,
and from my mother's womb I guided the widow[c]),
19 if I have seen anyone (S)perish for (T)lack of clothing,
or the needy without (U)covering,
20 if his body has not (V)blessed me,[d]
and if he was not warmed with the fleece of my sheep,
21 if I have raised my hand against (W)the fatherless,
because I saw my help in (X)the gate,
22 then let my shoulder blade fall from my shoulder,
and let my arm be broken from its socket.
23 For I was (Y)in terror of calamity from God,
and I could not have faced his (Z)majesty.
24 (AA)“If I have made gold my (AB)trust
or called (AC)fine gold my confidence,
25 if I have (AD)rejoiced because my wealth was abundant
or because (AE)my hand had found much,
26 (AF)if I have looked at the sun[e] when it shone,
or (AG)the moon moving in splendor,
27 and my heart has been secretly enticed,
and my mouth has kissed my hand,
28 this also would be (AH)an iniquity to be punished by the judges,
for I would have been false to God above.
29 “If I have (AI)rejoiced at the ruin of him who hated me,
or exulted when evil overtook him
30 ((AJ)I have not let my mouth sin
by asking for his life with a curse),
31 if the men of my tent have not said,
‘Who is there that has not been filled with his (AK)meat?’
32 ((AL)the sojourner has not lodged in the street;
I have opened my doors to the traveler),
33 if I (AM)have concealed my transgressions (AN)as others do[f]
by hiding my iniquity in my heart,
34 because I stood in great fear of (AO)the multitude,
and the contempt of families terrified me,
so that I kept silence, and did not go out of doors—
35 Oh, that I had one to hear me!
(Here is my signature! Let the Almighty (AP)answer me!)
Oh, that I had (AQ)the indictment written by my adversary!
36 Surely I would carry it on my (AR)shoulder;
I would (AS)bind it on me as (AT)a crown;
37 I would give him an account of all my steps;
like a prince I would approach him.
38 “If my land has cried out against me
and its furrows have wept together,
39 (AU)if I have eaten its yield without payment
and made its owners (AV)breathe their last,
40 let (AW)thorns grow instead of wheat,
and foul weeds instead of barley.”
The words of Job are ended.
Elihu Rebukes Job's Three Friends
32 So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was (AX)righteous in his own eyes. 2 Then Elihu the son of Barachel (AY)the Buzite, of the family of Ram, burned with anger. He burned with anger at Job because he justified himself (AZ)rather than God. 3 He burned with anger also at Job's three friends because they had found no answer, although they had (BA)declared Job to be in the wrong. 4 Now Elihu had waited to speak to Job because they were older than he. 5 And when Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, he burned with anger.
6 And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said:
“I am young in years,
and you are (BB)aged;
therefore I was timid and afraid
to declare my opinion to you.
7 I said, ‘Let days speak,
and many years teach wisdom.’
8 But it is (BC)the spirit in man,
(BD)the breath of the Almighty, that makes him (BE)understand.
9 (BF)It is not the old[g] who are wise,
nor the aged who understand what is right.
10 Therefore I say, ‘Listen to me;
let me also declare my opinion.’
11 “Behold, I waited for your words,
I listened for your wise sayings,
while you searched out what to say.
12 I gave you my attention,
and, behold, there was none among you who refuted Job
or who answered his words.
13 Beware (BG)lest you say, ‘We have found wisdom;
God may vanquish him, not a man.’
14 He has not directed his words against me,
and I will not answer him with your speeches.
15 “They are dismayed; they answer no more;
they have not a word to say.
16 And shall I wait, because they do not speak,
because they stand there, and answer no more?
17 I also will answer with my share;
I also will declare my opinion.
18 For I am full of words;
the spirit within me constrains me.
19 Behold, my belly is like wine that has no vent;
like new (BH)wineskins ready to burst.
20 (BI)I must speak, that I may find (BJ)relief;
I must open my lips and answer.
21 I will not (BK)show partiality to any man
or use flattery toward any person.
22 For I do not know how to flatter,
else my Maker would soon take me away.
Elihu Rebukes Job
33 “But now, hear my speech, O Job,
and listen to all my words.
2 Behold, I (BL)open my mouth;
the tongue in my mouth speaks.
3 My words declare the uprightness of my heart,
and what my lips know they speak sincerely.
4 (BM)The Spirit of God has made me,
and (BN)the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
5 (BO)Answer me, if you can;
(BP)set your words in order before me; take your stand.
6 Behold, I am toward God as you are;
I too was pinched off from a piece of (BQ)clay.
7 Behold, no (BR)fear of me need terrify you;
my (BS)pressure will not be heavy upon you.
8 “Surely you have spoken in my ears,
and I have heard the sound of your words.
9 You say, ‘I am (BT)pure, without (BU)transgression;
I am clean, and there is no iniquity in me.
10 Behold, he finds occasions against me,
he (BV)counts me as his enemy,
11 he (BW)puts my feet in the stocks
and (BX)watches all my paths.’
12 “Behold, in this you are not right. I will answer you,
for God is greater than man.
13 Why do you (BY)contend against him,
saying, ‘He (BZ)will answer none of man's[h] words’?[i]
14 For God (CA)speaks in one way,
(CB)and in two, though man (CC)does not perceive it.
15 In (CD)a dream, in (CE)a vision of (CF)the night,
when (CG)deep sleep falls on men,
while they slumber on their beds,
16 then he (CH)opens the ears of men
and terrifies[j] them with warnings,
17 that he may turn man aside from his (CI)deed
and conceal pride from a man;
18 he keeps back his soul from the pit,
his life from (CJ)perishing by the sword.
19 “Man is also rebuked with pain on his bed
and with continual strife in his (CK)bones,
20 so that his (CL)life loathes bread,
and his appetite (CM)the choicest food.
21 His flesh is so wasted away that it cannot be seen,
and his bones that were not seen (CN)stick out.
22 His soul draws near (CO)the pit,
and his life to (CP)those who bring death.
23 If there be for him (CQ)an angel,
(CR)a mediator, (CS)one of the thousand,
to declare to man what is (CT)right for him,
24 and he is merciful to him, and says,
‘Deliver him from going down into the pit;
I have found (CU)a ransom;
25 let his flesh (CV)become fresh with youth;
let him return to the days of his youthful vigor’;
26 then man[k] (CW)prays to God, and he accepts him;
he (CX)sees his face with a shout of joy,
and he (CY)restores to man his righteousness.
27 He sings before men and says:
‘I (CZ)sinned and perverted what was right,
and it was not repaid to me.
28 He has redeemed my (DA)soul from going down (DB)into the pit,
and my life shall (DC)look upon the light.’
29 “Behold, God does all these things,
twice, (DD)three times, with a man,
30 to bring back his soul from the pit,
that he may be lighted with (DE)the light of life.
31 Pay attention, O Job, listen to me;
be silent, and I will speak.
32 If you have any words, (DF)answer me;
(DG)speak, for I desire to justify you.
33 If not, (DH)listen to me;
be silent, and I will teach you wisdom.”
- Job 31:8 Or let my descendants
- Job 31:18 Hebrew he
- Job 31:18 Hebrew her
- Job 31:20 Hebrew if his loins have not blessed me
- Job 31:26 Hebrew the light
- Job 31:33 Or as Adam did
- Job 32:9 Hebrew many [in years]
- Job 33:13 Hebrew his
- Job 33:13 Or He will not answer for any of his own words
- Job 33:16 Or seals
- Job 33:26 Hebrew he
- Job 31:1 : [Isa. 33:15; Matt. 5:28]
- Job 31:2 : See ch. 20:29
- Job 31:2 : See ch. 20:29
- Job 31:4 : ch. 14:16; 34:21; 2 Chr. 16:9; Prov. 5:21; 15:3; Jer. 16:17; 32:19; Zech. 4:10
- Job 31:4 : ch. 14:16
- Job 31:6 : Dan. 5:27
- Job 31:7 : Num. 15:39; Eccles. 11:9
- Job 31:7 : [ch. 11:15]
- Job 31:8 : Lev. 26:16; Deut. 28:30, 38; [John 4:37]
- Job 31:9 : [ch. 24:15]
- Job 31:10 : [Ex. 11:5; Isa. 47:2]
- Job 31:10 : [2 Sam. 12:11; Jer. 8:10]
- Job 31:11 : ver. 28; [Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22]
- Job 31:12 : See Prov. 6:27-29
- Job 31:14 : Ps. 17:3
- Job 31:15 : ch. 34:19; Prov. 14:31; 22:2; [Eph. 6:9]
- Job 31:16 : [ch. 22:7]
- Job 31:16 : ch. 11:20; 17:5
- Job 31:19 : ch. 29:13
- Job 31:19 : ch. 24:7, 10
- Job 31:19 : ch. 24:7, 10
- Job 31:20 : ch. 29:13; Deut. 24:13
- Job 31:21 : ch. 22:9
- Job 31:21 : See ch. 5:4
- Job 31:23 : ch. 13:11
- Job 31:23 : ch. 13:11
- Job 31:24 : Mark 10:24, 25
- Job 31:24 : ch. 4:6
- Job 31:24 : ch. 28:16
- Job 31:25 : Ps. 62:10
- Job 31:25 : Deut. 8:17
- Job 31:26 : Deut. 4:19; [Deut. 17:3; 2 Kgs. 23:5, 11; Ezek. 8:16]
- Job 31:26 : See Jer. 44:17-19
- Job 31:28 : ver. 11
- Job 31:29 : Prov. 17:5
- Job 31:30 : [Matt. 5:44; Rom. 12:14]
- Job 31:31 : Ex. 16:12; 1 Sam. 25:11
- Job 31:32 : [Gen. 19:2, 3; Judg. 19:20, 21; Matt. 25:35; Heb. 13:2]
- Job 31:33 : Prov. 28:13
- Job 31:33 : Gen. 3:8, 12
- Job 31:34 : [Ex. 23:2]
- Job 31:35 : ch. 13:22
- Job 31:35 : [ch. 19:23]
- Job 31:36 : Isa. 9:6; 22:22
- Job 31:36 : Prov. 6:21
- Job 31:36 : Zech. 6:11
- Job 31:39 : [ch. 22:6-9; Luke 10:7; 2 Tim. 2:6; James 5:4]
- Job 31:39 : [1 Kgs. 21:16, 19]
- Job 31:40 : Gen. 3:18
- Job 32:1 : See ch. 33:9
- Job 32:2 : Gen. 22:21; Jer. 25:23
- Job 32:2 : ch. 4:17; [ch. 34:5; 35:2; 40:8]
- Job 32:3 : ch. 8:6; 22:5
- Job 32:6 : ch. 15:10
- Job 32:8 : ch. 33:4; 34:14
- Job 32:8 : ch. 33:4; Gen. 2:7
- Job 32:8 : ch. 35:11; 38:36; 39:17; 1 Kgs. 3:12; 4:29; Prov. 2:6; Eccles. 2:26; Dan. 1:17; 2:21; James 1:5
- Job 32:9 : 1 Cor. 1:26; [ch. 12:20; Matt. 11:25]
- Job 32:13 : Jer. 9:23
- Job 32:19 : Matt. 9:17; [Josh. 9:4]
- Job 32:20 : [Ps. 39:3]
- Job 32:20 : 1 Sam. 16:23
- Job 32:21 : Lev. 19:15
- Job 33:2 : ch. 3:1
- Job 33:4 : ch. 27:3
- Job 33:4 : ch. 32:8; Gen. 2:7; [Ezek. 37:9; Acts 17:25]
- Job 33:5 : ver. 32
- Job 33:5 : ch. 13:18; 23:4; [Ps. 5:3]
- Job 33:6 : See ch. 4:19
- Job 33:7 : ch. 9:34, 35; 13:21
- Job 33:7 : [ch. 23:2]
- Job 33:9 : ch. 9:21; 10:7; 11:4; 12:4; 13:18; 16:17; 23:10, 11; 27:5; 29:14; 32:1; 34:5
- Job 33:9 : ch. 34:6
- Job 33:10 : See ch. 13:24
- Job 33:11 : ch. 13:27
- Job 33:11 : ch. 10:14; 14:16; 31:4
- Job 33:13 : ch. 13:3; 16:21; 31:35; 40:2
- Job 33:13 : See ch. 9:12
- Job 33:14 : [ch. 40:5; Ps. 62:11]
- Job 33:14 : ver. 29
- Job 33:14 : [1 Sam. 3:4, 6]
- Job 33:15 : See Num. 12:6
- Job 33:15 : ch. 4:13
- Job 33:15 : Ps. 17:3
- Job 33:15 : ch. 4:13
- Job 33:16 : ch. 36:10, 15; Ps. 40:6; Isa. 50:5
- Job 33:17 : ch. 36:9
- Job 33:18 : ch. 36:12
- Job 33:19 : ch. 30:17
- Job 33:20 : Ps. 107:18
- Job 33:20 : Prov. 23:3
- Job 33:21 : [Ps. 22:17]
- Job 33:22 : ver. 24, 28
- Job 33:22 : 2 Sam. 24:16, 17; Ps. 78:49
- Job 33:23 : Gen. 16:7; 22:11; 48:16; Ps. 34:7; Isa. 63:9; [Mal. 3:1]
- Job 33:23 : Gen. 42:23; Isa. 43:27
- Job 33:23 : Eccles. 7:28; [Song 5:10]
- Job 33:23 : [Prov. 14:2; Ezek. 18:21, 22]
- Job 33:24 : ch. 36:18; Ps. 49:7
- Job 33:25 : 2 Kgs. 5:14; [Heb. 9:12]
- Job 33:26 : See ch. 22:27
- Job 33:26 : Ps. 17:15
- Job 33:26 : [2 Sam. 12:13; Prov. 28:13; Luke 15:21-24; 1 John 1:9]
- Job 33:27 : Ps. 106:6; [Rom. 6:21]
- Job 33:28 : Isa. 38:17
- Job 33:28 : ver. 22, 24
- Job 33:28 : [ch. 3:9]
- Job 33:29 : ver. 14
- Job 33:30 : Ps. 56:13
- Job 33:32 : ver. 5
- Job 33:32 : ch. 34:33
- Job 33:33 : Ps. 34:11
2 Corinthians 3
Ministers of the New Covenant
3 (A)Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, (B)as some do, (C)letters of recommendation to you, or from you? 2 (D)You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our[a] hearts, to be known and read by all. 3 And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of (E)the living God, not on (F)tablets of stone but on (G)tablets of (H)human hearts.[b]
4 (I)Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 (J)Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but (K)our sufficiency is from God, 6 who has made us sufficient to be (L)ministers of (M)a new covenant, not of (N)the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but (O)the Spirit gives life.
7 Now if (P)the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory (Q)that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? 9 For if there was glory in (R)the ministry of condemnation, (S)the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory. 10 Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it. 11 For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory.
12 Since we have such a hope, (T)we are very bold, 13 not like Moses, (U)who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. 14 But (V)their minds were (W)hardened. For to this day, (X)when they read (Y)the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. 15 Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. 16 But when (Z)one[c] turns to the Lord, (AA)the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord[d] is the Spirit, and where (AB)the Spirit of the Lord is, there is (AC)freedom. 18 And we all, with unveiled face, (AD)beholding (AE)the glory of the Lord,[e] (AF)are being transformed into the same image (AG)from one degree of glory to another.[f] For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
- 2 Corinthians 3:1 : ch. 5:12; 10:12; 12:11
- 2 Corinthians 3:1 : [ch. 11:4]
- 2 Corinthians 3:1 : [Acts 18:27; 1 Cor. 16:3]
- 2 Corinthians 3:2 : [1 Cor. 9:2]
- 2 Corinthians 3:3 : See Matt. 16:16
- 2 Corinthians 3:3 : Ex. 24:12
- 2 Corinthians 3:3 : Prov. 3:3; 7:3; Jer. 17:1
- 2 Corinthians 3:3 : Ezek. 11:19; 36:26; [Jer. 31:33; Heb. 8:10]
- 2 Corinthians 3:4 : Eph. 3:12
- 2 Corinthians 3:5 : [Eph. 2:8]
- 2 Corinthians 3:5 : See 1 Cor. 15:10
- 2 Corinthians 3:6 : Eph. 3:7; Col. 1:23, 25; [ch. 4:1; 5:18; 1 Tim. 1:12]
- 2 Corinthians 3:6 : Jer. 31:31; Luke 22:20; 1 Cor. 11:25; Heb. 8:8, 13; [ver. 14; Heb. 9:15]
- 2 Corinthians 3:6 : See Rom. 2:27
- 2 Corinthians 3:6 : [John 6:63; Rom. 8:2]
- 2 Corinthians 3:7 : ver. 9; See Rom. 4:15
- 2 Corinthians 3:7 : ver. 13; Ex. 34:29-35
- 2 Corinthians 3:9 : ver. 7; [Heb. 12:18-21]
- 2 Corinthians 3:9 : ch. 11:15
- 2 Corinthians 3:12 : ch. 7:4; Eph. 6:19
- 2 Corinthians 3:13 : ver. 7
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 : [ch. 4:4; Rom. 11:25]
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 : See Mark 6:52
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 : Acts 13:15; 15:21
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 : [ver. 6]
- 2 Corinthians 3:16 : Rom. 11:23; [Ex. 34:34]
- 2 Corinthians 3:16 : [Isa. 25:7]
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 : Isa. 61:1, 2; [Gal. 4:6]
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 : Gal. 5:1, 13; See John 8:32
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 : See 1 Cor. 13:12
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 : ch. 4:4, 6; 1 Tim. 1:11; See John 17:24
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 : Rom. 8:29; 1 Cor. 15:49
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 : [Ps. 84:7]
Send Out Your Light and Your Truth
43 (A)Vindicate me, O God, and (B)defend my cause
against an ungodly people,
from (C)the deceitful and unjust man
2 For you are (D)the God in whom I take refuge;
why have you (E)rejected me?
Why do I (F)go about mourning
because of the oppression of the enemy?
3 (G)Send out your light and your truth;
let them lead me;
let them bring me to your (H)holy hill
and to your (I)dwelling!
4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God.
- Proverbs 22:9 Hebrew good