12 Therefore thus says the Holy One of Israel,
“Because you despise this word
and trust in (A)oppression and perverseness
and rely on them,
13 therefore this iniquity shall be to you
(B)like a breach in a high wall, bulging out and about to collapse,
whose breaking comes suddenly, in an instant;
14 and its breaking is (C)like that of a potter's vessel
that is smashed so ruthlessly
that among its fragments not a shard is found
with which to take fire from the hearth,
or to dip up water out of the cistern.”
15 For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel,
“In (D)returning[a] and (E)rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”
But you were unwilling, 16 and you said,
“No! We will flee upon (F)horses”;
therefore you shall flee away;
and, “We will ride upon swift steeds”;
therefore your pursuers shall be swift.
17 (G)A thousand shall flee at the threat of one;
at the threat of five you shall flee,
till you are left
like a flagstaff on the top of a mountain,
like a signal on a hill.
The Lord Will Be Gracious
19 For a people shall dwell (K)in Zion, in Jerusalem; you shall weep no more. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. As soon as he hears it, he answers you. 20 And though the Lord give you the (L)bread of adversity and the (M)water of affliction, (N)yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. 21 (O)And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is (P)the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. 22 Then you will defile your carved idols overlaid with silver and your gold-plated metal images. (Q)You will scatter them as unclean things. You will say to them, “Be gone!”
23 (R)And he will give (S)rain for the seed with which you sow the ground, and bread, the produce of the ground, which will be rich and plenteous. (T)In that day your livestock will graze in large pastures, 24 and (U)the oxen and the donkeys that work the ground will eat seasoned fodder, which has been winnowed with shovel and fork. 25 And (V)on every lofty mountain and every high hill there will be brooks running with water, in the day of the great slaughter, (W)when the towers fall. 26 (X)Moreover, the light of the moon will be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun will be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day when (Y)the Lord binds up (Z)the brokenness of his people, and heals the wounds inflicted by his blow.
27 Behold, the name of the Lord comes from afar,
burning with his anger, and in thick rising smoke;[b]
his lips are full of fury,
and his tongue is like a devouring fire;
28 (AA)his breath is (AB)like an overflowing stream
that reaches up to the neck;
to sift the nations with the sieve of destruction,
and to place on the jaws of the peoples (AC)a bridle that leads astray.
29 You shall have a song as in the night when a holy feast is kept, and gladness of heart, (AD)as when one sets out to the sound of the flute to go to (AE)the mountain of the Lord, to (AF)the Rock of Israel. 30 And the Lord (AG)will cause his majestic voice to be heard and the descending blow of his arm to be seen, in furious anger (AH)and a flame of devouring fire, with a cloudburst (AI)and storm and hailstones. 31 The Assyrians will be terror-stricken at the voice of the Lord, (AJ)when he strikes with his rod. 32 And every stroke of the appointed staff that the Lord lays on them (AK)will be to the sound of tambourines and lyres. (AL)Battling with brandished arm, he will fight with them. 33 For (AM)a burning place[c] has long been prepared; indeed, for the king it is made ready, (AN)its pyre made deep and wide, with fire and wood in abundance; (AO)the breath of the Lord, like a stream of sulfur, kindles it.
Woe to Those Who Go Down to Egypt
31 Woe[d] to (AP)those who go down to Egypt for help
and rely on horses,
who (AQ)trust in chariots because they are many
and in horsemen because they are very strong,
but (AR)do not look to the Holy One of Israel
or consult the Lord!
2 And (AS)yet he is wise and brings disaster;
(AT)he does not call back his words,
but (AU)will arise against the house of the evildoers
and against the helpers of (AV)those who work iniquity.
3 The Egyptians are man, and not God,
and their horses (AW)are flesh, and not spirit.
When the Lord stretches out his hand,
the helper will stumble, and he who is helped will fall,
and they will all perish together.
4 For thus the Lord said to me,
(AX)“As a lion or a young lion growls over his prey,
and when a band of shepherds is called out against him
he is not terrified by their shouting
or daunted at their noise,
(AY)so the Lord of hosts will come down
to fight[e] on Mount Zion and on its hill.
5 (AZ)Like birds hovering, so the Lord of hosts
will protect Jerusalem;
he will protect and deliver it;
he will spare and rescue it.”
6 (BA)Turn to him from whom people[f] have (BB)deeply revolted, O children of Israel. 7 For in that day (BC)everyone shall cast away his idols of silver and his idols of gold, which your hands have sinfully made for you.
8 (BD)“And the Assyrian shall fall by a sword, not of man;
and a sword, not of man, shall devour him;
and he shall flee from the sword,
and his young men shall be (BE)put to forced labor.
9 (BF)His rock shall pass away in terror,
and his officers desert the standard in panic,”
declares the Lord, whose (BG)fire is in Zion,
and whose (BH)furnace is in Jerusalem.
A King Will Reign in Righteousness
32 Behold, (BI)a king will reign in righteousness,
and princes will rule in justice.
2 (BJ)Each will be like a hiding place from the wind,
a shelter from the storm,
(BK)like streams of water in a dry place,
like the shade of a great rock in a weary land.
3 (BL)Then the eyes of those who see will not be closed,
and the ears of those who hear will give attention.
4 The heart of the hasty will understand and know,
(BM)and the tongue of the stammerers will hasten to speak distinctly.
5 (BN)The fool will no more be called noble,
nor the scoundrel said to be honorable.
6 For (BO)the fool speaks folly,
and his heart is busy with iniquity,
to practice ungodliness,
to utter error concerning the Lord,
(BP)to leave the craving of the hungry unsatisfied,
and to deprive the thirsty of drink.
7 As for the scoundrel—(BQ)his devices are evil;
he plans wicked schemes
to ruin the poor with lying words,
even when the plea of the needy is right.
8 But he who is noble plans noble things,
and on noble things he stands.
Complacent Women Warned of Disaster
9 (BR)Rise up, you women (BS)who are at ease, hear my voice;
you complacent daughters, give ear to my speech.
10 In little more than a year
you will shudder, you complacent women;
for the grape harvest fails,
the fruit harvest will not come.
11 Tremble, you women (BT)who are at ease,
shudder, you complacent ones;
(BU)strip, and make yourselves bare,
(BV)and tie sackcloth around your waist.
12 (BW)Beat your breasts for the pleasant fields,
for the fruitful vine,
13 (BX)for the soil of my people
growing up in thorns and briers,
(BY)yes, for all the joyous houses
in the exultant city.
14 For the palace is forsaken,
the populous city deserted;
the hill and the watchtower
will become dens forever,
(BZ)a joy of wild donkeys,
a pasture of flocks;
15 until (CA)the Spirit is poured upon us from on high,
and (CB)the wilderness becomes a fruitful field,
and the fruitful field is deemed a forest.
16 Then justice will dwell in the wilderness,
and righteousness abide in the fruitful field.
17 (CC)And the effect of righteousness will be peace,
and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust[g] forever.
18 My people will abide in a peaceful habitation,
in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.
19 (CD)And it will hail when the forest falls down,
(CE)and the city will be utterly laid low.
20 (CF)Happy are you who sow beside all waters,
who let the feet of the ox and the donkey range free.
O Lord, Be Gracious to Us
33 (CG)Ah, you destroyer,
who yourself have not been destroyed,
whom none has betrayed!
When you have ceased to destroy,
you will be destroyed;
and when you have finished betraying,
they will betray you.
2 O Lord, be gracious to us; (CH)we wait for you.
Be our arm every morning,
our salvation in the time of trouble.
3 (CI)At the tumultuous noise peoples flee;
when you lift yourself up, nations are scattered,
4 and your spoil is gathered as the caterpillar gathers;
(CJ)as locusts leap, it is leapt upon.
5 (CK)The Lord is exalted, for he dwells on high;
he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness,
6 (CL)and he will be the stability of your times,
abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge;
the fear of the Lord is Zion's[h] treasure.
7 Behold, their heroes cry in the streets;
(CM)the envoys of peace weep bitterly.
8 (CN)The highways lie waste;
the traveler ceases.
(CO)Covenants are broken;
cities[i] are despised;
there is no regard for man.
9 (CP)The land mourns and languishes;
Lebanon is confounded and withers away;
Sharon is like a desert,
and Bashan and Carmel shake off their leaves.
- Isaiah 30:15 Or repentance
- Isaiah 30:27 Hebrew in weight of uplifted clouds
- Isaiah 30:33 Or For Topheth
- Isaiah 31:1 Or Ah,
- Isaiah 31:4 The Hebrew words for hosts and to fight sound alike
- Isaiah 31:6 Hebrew they
- Isaiah 32:17 Or security
- Isaiah 33:6 Hebrew his
- Isaiah 33:8 Masoretic Text; Dead Sea Scroll witnesses
- Isaiah 30:12 : [ch. 5:8, 20]
- Isaiah 30:13 : Ps. 62:3
- Isaiah 30:14 : Ps. 2:9
- Isaiah 30:15 : Hos. 14:1
- Isaiah 30:15 : [Ex. 14:14]
- Isaiah 30:16 : ch. 31:1, 3; [Hos. 14:3]
- Isaiah 30:17 : [Lev. 26:8; Deut. 32:30]
- Isaiah 30:18 : [Hab. 2:3]
- Isaiah 30:18 : ch. 5:16
- Isaiah 30:18 : Ps. 2:12; 34:8; Prov. 16:20; Jer. 17:7
- Isaiah 30:19 : [ch. 14:32]
- Isaiah 30:20 : 1 Kgs. 22:27; Ps. 127:2; [Ezek. 4:10, 11]
- Isaiah 30:20 : 1 Kgs. 22:27; Ps. 127:2; [Ezek. 4:10, 11]
- Isaiah 30:20 : [ch. 3:1, 2]
- Isaiah 30:21 : [Jer. 31:33, 34]
- Isaiah 30:21 : ch. 35:8; [Acts 9:2]
- Isaiah 30:22 : ch. 2:20; 31:7; [Hos. 14:8]
- Isaiah 30:23 : [ch. 32:20; Ps. 144:13, 14]
- Isaiah 30:23 : [Jer. 5:24]
- Isaiah 30:23 : [Ps. 65:13]
- Isaiah 30:24 : See Gen. 45:6
- Isaiah 30:25 : [ch. 33:21; Ps. 107:35; Joel 3:18]
- Isaiah 30:25 : ch. 32:19; [ch. 2:15]
- Isaiah 30:26 : ch. 60:19, 20
- Isaiah 30:26 : [Hos. 6:1]
- Isaiah 30:26 : [ch. 1:5, 6]
- Isaiah 30:28 : ch. 11:4; 2 Thess. 2:8
- Isaiah 30:28 : [ch. 8:8; Nah. 1:8]
- Isaiah 30:28 : ch. 37:29
- Isaiah 30:29 : 1 Sam. 10:5; 1 Kgs. 1:40
- Isaiah 30:29 : ch. 2:3
- Isaiah 30:29 : ch. 26:4; 44:8; Deut. 32:18
- Isaiah 30:30 : Ps. 18:13
- Isaiah 30:30 : ch. 29:6
- Isaiah 30:30 : ch. 28:2; [Josh. 10:11]
- Isaiah 30:31 : ch. 9:4; [Mic. 6:9]
- Isaiah 30:32 : Ex. 15:1
- Isaiah 30:32 : ch. 11:15; 19:16; [ch. 2:19]
- Isaiah 30:33 : 2 Kgs. 23:10; Jer. 7:31
- Isaiah 30:33 : Ezek. 24:9, 10
- Isaiah 30:33 : Ps. 18:8; Ezek. 20:48
- Isaiah 31:1 : ch. 30:2; 36:6
- Isaiah 31:1 : Ps. 20:7; [ch. 30:16; 36:9]
- Isaiah 31:1 : [ch. 22:11]
- Isaiah 31:2 : [Ps. 94:8-10]
- Isaiah 31:2 : [Num. 23:19]
- Isaiah 31:2 : [ch. 22:14]
- Isaiah 31:2 : Ps. 94:4
- Isaiah 31:3 : Jer. 17:5
- Isaiah 31:4 : Hos. 11:10; Amos 1:2; 3:8
- Isaiah 31:4 : [ch. 42:13]
- Isaiah 31:5 : Deut. 32:11; [Ps. 91:4]
- Isaiah 31:6 : [ch. 30:15]
- Isaiah 31:6 : ch. 1:5
- Isaiah 31:7 : ch. 2:20; 30:22
- Isaiah 31:8 : ch. 37:36
- Isaiah 31:8 : [Gen. 49:15; Prov. 12:24]
- Isaiah 31:9 : Deut. 32:31; See ch. 30:29
- Isaiah 31:9 : ch. 30:33
- Isaiah 31:9 : Ps. 21:9; Mal. 4:1
- Isaiah 32:1 : Ps. 72:1, 2, 4; Jer. 23:5; See ch. 11:1-4
- Isaiah 32:2 : ch. 4:6; 25:4
- Isaiah 32:2 : ch. 33:21
- Isaiah 32:3 : See ch. 29:18
- Isaiah 32:4 : ch. 35:6
- Isaiah 32:5 : [ch. 5:20]
- Isaiah 32:6 : 1 Sam. 24:13
- Isaiah 32:6 : [ch. 3:14, 15]
- Isaiah 32:7 : Mic. 2:1, 2
- Isaiah 32:9 : See ch. 3:16–4:1
- Isaiah 32:9 : Amos 6:1
- Isaiah 32:11 : [See ver. 9 above]; Amos 6:1
- Isaiah 32:11 : [ch. 47:2, 3]
- Isaiah 32:11 : See Gen. 37:34
- Isaiah 32:12 : [ch. 24:7]
- Isaiah 32:13 : ch. 7:23; 34:13; Hos. 9:6
- Isaiah 32:13 : [ch. 24:11, 12]
- Isaiah 32:14 : Jer. 2:24
- Isaiah 32:15 : [ch. 11:2; Joel 2:28]
- Isaiah 32:15 : ch. 35:1, 2; [ch. 29:17]
- Isaiah 32:17 : James 3:18; [ch. 1:27; Ps. 72:3; 119:165]
- Isaiah 32:19 : ch. 28:2, 17
- Isaiah 32:19 : ch. 26:5
- Isaiah 32:20 : Eccles. 11:1; [ch. 30:23]
- Isaiah 33:1 : ch. 21:2; [ch. 17:14]
- Isaiah 33:2 : ch. 25:9; 26:8
- Isaiah 33:3 : ch. 17:13; [2 Kgs. 19:7]
- Isaiah 33:4 : [Joel 2:4, 5]
- Isaiah 33:5 : ch. 2:17; 5:15, 16
- Isaiah 33:6 : [ch. 39:8]
- Isaiah 33:7 : [ch. 36:22; 2 Kgs. 18:37]
- Isaiah 33:8 : [Judg. 5:6]
- Isaiah 33:8 : [ver. 1]; See 2 Kgs. 18:14-17
- Isaiah 33:9 : ch. 24:4; [Nah. 1:4]
Christ Has Set Us Free
2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that (F)if you accept circumcision, (G)Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that (H)he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are (I)severed from Christ, (J)you who would be justified[a] by the law; (K)you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly (L)wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus (M)neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but (N)only faith working through love.
7 (O)You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying (P)the truth? 8 This persuasion is not from (Q)him who calls you. 9 (R)A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 (S)I have confidence in the Lord that you will (T)take no other view, and (U)the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. 11 But if I, brothers,[b] still preach[c] circumcision, (V)why am I still being persecuted? In that case (W)the offense of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish (X)those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!
- Galatians 5:1 : ver. 13; ch. 2:4; See James 1:25
- Galatians 5:1 : See John 8:32
- Galatians 5:1 : See 1 Cor. 16:13
- Galatians 5:1 : Acts 15:10
- Galatians 5:1 : See ch. 2:4
- Galatians 5:2 : ver. 3, 11; Acts 15:1; 1 Cor. 7:18
- Galatians 5:2 : See ch. 4:11
- Galatians 5:3 : Rom. 2:25
- Galatians 5:4 : Rom. 7:6 (Gk.)
- Galatians 5:4 : [ch. 2:21; 3:10; Rom. 9:31, 32]
- Galatians 5:4 : [Heb. 12:15; 2 Pet. 3:17]
- Galatians 5:5 : See Rom. 8:23, 25
- Galatians 5:6 : ch. 6:15; 1 Cor. 7:19; Col. 3:11; See ch. 3:28
- Galatians 5:6 : [Eph. 6:23; 1 Thess. 1:3; James 2:18, 20, 22]
- Galatians 5:7 : See 1 Cor. 9:24
- Galatians 5:7 : See ch. 2:5
- Galatians 5:8 : ch. 1:6
- Galatians 5:9 : 1 Cor. 5:6; [1 Cor. 15:33; Heb. 12:15]
- Galatians 5:10 : See 2 Cor. 2:3
- Galatians 5:10 : [Phil. 3:15]
- Galatians 5:10 : ch. 1:7; [ver. 12]
- Galatians 5:11 : ch. 4:29; 6:12
- Galatians 5:11 : 1 Cor. 1:23; See 1 Pet. 2:8
- Galatians 5:12 : [ver. 10]; See ch. 2:4
My Soul Thirsts for You
A Psalm of David, (A)when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
63 O God, you are my God; (B)earnestly I seek you;
(C)my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in (D)a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding (E)your power and glory.
3 Because your (F)steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
4 So I will bless you (G)as long as I live;
in your (H)name I will (I)lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be (J)satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
6 when I remember you (K)upon my bed,
and meditate on you in (L)the watches of the night;
7 for you have been my help,
and in (M)the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
8 My soul (N)clings to you;
your right hand (O)upholds me.
9 But those who seek to destroy my life
(P)shall go down into (Q)the depths of the earth;
10 they shall be given over to the power of the sword;
they shall be a portion for jackals.
11 But (R)the king shall rejoice in God;
all who (S)swear by him shall exult,
(T)for the mouths of (U)liars will be stopped.
- Psalm 63:1 : [2 Sam. 16:14; 17:2, 29]
- Psalm 63:1 : Ps. 78:34; Isa. 26:9
- Psalm 63:1 : See Ps. 84:2
- Psalm 63:1 : Ps. 143:6; Isa. 32:2
- Psalm 63:2 : Ps. 78:61; [Ps. 27:4]
- Psalm 63:3 : [Ps. 69:16]
- Psalm 63:4 : Ps. 104:33; 146:2
- Psalm 63:4 : Ps. 20:1, 5
- Psalm 63:4 : See Ps. 28:2
- Psalm 63:5 : See Ps. 36:8
- Psalm 63:6 : See Ps. 42:8
- Psalm 63:6 : See Ps. 42:8
- Psalm 63:7 : See Ps. 17:8
- Psalm 63:8 : [Num. 14:24]
- Psalm 63:8 : See Ps. 41:12
- Psalm 63:9 : Ps. 9:17; 55:15
- Psalm 63:9 : Ezek. 26:20; 31:14; Eph. 4:9
- Psalm 63:11 : Ps. 61:6
- Psalm 63:11 : Deut. 6:13; Isa. 45:23; 65:16
- Psalm 63:11 : Ps. 107:42; Job 5:16; [Rom. 3:19]
- Psalm 63:11 : [Ps. 38:12; 41:5-8]