2 Samuel 4-6
4 When Ish-bosheth, Saul's son, heard that Abner had died at Hebron, (A)his courage failed, and all Israel was dismayed. 2 Now Saul's son had two men who were captains of raiding bands; the name of the one was Baanah, and the name of the other Rechab, sons of Rimmon a man of Benjamin from Beeroth ((B)for Beeroth also is counted part of Benjamin; 3 (C)the Beerothites fled (D)to Gittaim and have been sojourners there to this day).
4 (E)Jonathan, the son of Saul, had a son who was crippled in his feet. He was five years old when the news about Saul and Jonathan (F)came from Jezreel, and his nurse took him up and fled, and as she fled in her haste, he fell and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth.
5 Now the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, Rechab and Baanah, set out, and about the heat of the day they came to the house of Ish-bosheth as he was taking his noonday rest. 6 And they came into the midst of the house as if to get wheat, and they stabbed him (G)in the stomach. Then Rechab and Baanah his brother escaped.[a] 7 When they came into the house, as he lay on his bed in his bedroom, they struck him and put him to death and beheaded him. They took his head and went by the way of (H)the Arabah all night, 8 and brought the head of Ish-bosheth to David at Hebron. And they said to the king, “Here is the head of Ish-bosheth, the son of Saul, your enemy, (I)who sought your life. The Lord has avenged my lord the king this day on Saul and on his offspring.” 9 But David answered Rechab and Baanah his brother, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, (J)“As the Lord lives, (K)who has redeemed my life out of every adversity, 10 (L)when one told me, ‘Behold, Saul is dead,’ and thought he was bringing good news, (M)I seized him and killed him at Ziklag, which was the reward I gave him for his news. 11 How much more, when wicked men have killed a righteous man in his own house on his bed, shall I not now (N)require his blood at your hand and destroy you from the earth?” 12 And David commanded his young men, and they killed them and cut off their hands and feet and hanged them beside the pool at Hebron. But they took the head of Ish-bosheth and buried it (O)in the tomb of Abner at Hebron.
David Anointed King of Israel
5 Then all the tribes of Israel (P)came to David at Hebron and said, “Behold, (Q)we are your bone and flesh. 2 In times past, when Saul was king over us, (R)it was you who led out and brought in Israel. And the Lord said to you, (S)‘You shall be shepherd of my people Israel, and you shall be prince[b] over Israel.’” 3 So all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, (T)and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron (U)before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel. 4 David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and (V)he reigned forty years. 5 (W)At Hebron he reigned over Judah (X)seven years and six months, and at Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.[c]
6 (Y)And the king and his men went to Jerusalem (Z)against the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the land, who said to David, “You will not come in here, but the blind and the lame will ward you off”—thinking, “David cannot come in here.” 7 Nevertheless, David took the stronghold of Zion, (AA)that is, the city of David. 8 And David said on that day, “Whoever would strike the Jebusites, let him get up the water shaft to attack ‘the lame and the blind,’ who are hated by David's soul.” Therefore it is said, “The blind and the lame shall not come into the house.” 9 And David lived in the stronghold and called it (AB)the city of David. And David built the city all around from the (AC)Millo inward. 10 And David became greater and greater, for the Lord, the God of hosts, was with him.
11 (AD)And (AE)Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, also carpenters and masons who built David a house. 12 And David knew that the Lord had established him king over Israel, and that he had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel.
13 And David took more (AF)concubines and wives from Jerusalem, after he came from Hebron, and more sons and daughters were born to David. 14 (AG)And these are the names of those who were born to him in Jerusalem: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon, 15 Ibhar, Elishua, Nepheg, Japhia, 16 Elishama, Eliada, and Eliphelet.
David Defeats the Philistines
17 When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. But David heard of it and went down (AH)to the stronghold. 18 Now the Philistines had come and spread out in (AI)the Valley of Rephaim. 19 And David (AJ)inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” And the Lord said to David, “Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” 20 And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “The Lord has broken through my enemies before me like a breaking flood.” (AK)Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim.[d] 21 And the Philistines left their idols there, and David and his men carried them away.
22 And the Philistines came up yet again (AL)and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 23 (AM)And when David inquired of the Lord, he said, “You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees. 24 And (AN)when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then rouse yourself, (AO)for then the Lord has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines.” 25 And David did as the Lord commanded him, and struck down the Philistines from Geba (AP)to Gezer.
The Ark Brought to Jerusalem
6 (AQ)David again gathered all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand. 2 And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from (AR)Baale-judah (AS)to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the name of the Lord of hosts (AT)who sits enthroned on the cherubim. 3 And they carried the ark of God (AU)on a new cart and brought it (AV)out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. And Uzzah and Ahio,[e] the sons of Abinadab, were driving the new cart, 4 with the ark of God,[f] and Ahio went before the ark.
Uzzah and the Ark
5 And David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the Lord, with (AW)songs[g] and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals. 6 And when they came to the threshing floor of (AX)Nacon, Uzzah (AY)put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. 7 And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and (AZ)God struck him down there because of his error, and he died there beside the ark of God. 8 And David was angry because the Lord had broken out against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-uzzah[h] to this day. 9 And David was afraid of the Lord that day, and he said, “How can the ark of the Lord come to me?” 10 So David was not willing to take the ark of the Lord into the city of David. But David took it aside (BA)to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. 11 And the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, (BB)and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household.
12 And it was told King David, “The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.” (BC)So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom (BD)to the city of David with rejoicing. 13 And when (BE)those who bore the ark of the Lord had gone six steps, (BF)he sacrificed an ox and a fattened animal. 14 And David (BG)danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was (BH)wearing a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the horn.
David and Michal
16 As the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart. 17 And they brought in the ark of the Lord and set it (BI)in its place, inside the tent that David had pitched for it. (BJ)And David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. 18 And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, (BK)he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts 19 and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat,[i] and a cake of raisins to each one. (BL)Then all the people departed, each to his house.
20 And David returned to bless his household. But Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel honored himself today, (BM)uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants' female servants, as one of the (BN)vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!” 21 And David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, (BO)who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me as prince[j] over Israel, the people of the Lord—and I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will make myself yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in your[k] eyes. But by the female servants of whom you have spoken, by them I shall be held in honor.” 23 And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.
- 2 Samuel 4:6 Septuagint And behold, the doorkeeper of the house had been cleaning wheat, but she grew drowsy and slept. So Rechab and Baanah his brother slipped in
- 2 Samuel 5:2 Or leader
- 2 Samuel 5:5 Dead Sea Scroll lacks verses 4–5
- 2 Samuel 5:20 Baal-perazim means Lord of breaking through
- 2 Samuel 6:3 Or and his brother; also verse 4
- 2 Samuel 6:4 Compare Septuagint; Hebrew the new cart, 4and brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill, with the ark of God
- 2 Samuel 6:5 Septuagint, 1 Chronicles 13:8; Hebrew fir trees
- 2 Samuel 6:8 Perez-uzzah means the breaking out against Uzzah
- 2 Samuel 6:19 Vulgate; the meaning of the Hebrew term is uncertain
- 2 Samuel 6:21 Or leader
- 2 Samuel 6:22 Septuagint; Hebrew my
- 2 Samuel 4:1 : Ezra 4:4; Isa. 13:7; Jer. 6:24
- 2 Samuel 4:2 : Josh. 18:25
- 2 Samuel 4:3 : [1 Sam. 31:7]
- 2 Samuel 4:3 : Neh. 11:33
- 2 Samuel 4:4 : ch. 9:3, 6
- 2 Samuel 4:4 : 1 Sam. 29:1, 11
- 2 Samuel 4:6 : See ch. 2:23
- 2 Samuel 4:7 : ch. 2:29; See Deut. 1:1
- 2 Samuel 4:8 : 1 Sam. 19:10, 11; 23:15
- 2 Samuel 4:9 : See Ruth 3:13
- 2 Samuel 4:9 : 1 Kgs. 1:29
- 2 Samuel 4:10 : See ch. 1:4-10
- 2 Samuel 4:10 : ch. 1:15
- 2 Samuel 4:11 : [Gen. 9:5, 6]
- 2 Samuel 4:12 : ch. 3:32
- 2 Samuel 5:1 : For ver. 1-3, see 1 Chr. 11:1-3
- 2 Samuel 5:1 : See Gen. 29:14
- 2 Samuel 5:2 : [1 Sam. 18:13]
- 2 Samuel 5:2 : ch. 7:7; 1 Chr. 17:6; Ps. 78:71, 72; [Matt. 2:6]
- 2 Samuel 5:3 : ch. 3:12, 13, 21; [2 Kgs. 11:17]
- 2 Samuel 5:3 : Judg. 11:11; 1 Sam. 23:18
- 2 Samuel 5:4 : 1 Kgs. 2:11; 1 Chr. 3:4; 29:27
- 2 Samuel 5:5 : [See ver. 4 above]; 1 Kgs. 2:11; 1 Chr. 3:4; 29:27
- 2 Samuel 5:5 : ch. 2:11
- 2 Samuel 5:6 : For ver. 6-10, see 1 Chr. 11:4-9
- 2 Samuel 5:6 : Judg. 19:11; [Josh. 15:63; Judg. 1:21]
- 2 Samuel 5:7 : ch. 6:12, 16
- 2 Samuel 5:9 : [See ver. 7 above]; ch. 6:12, 16
- 2 Samuel 5:9 : 1 Kgs. 9:15, 24; 11:27; 2 Kgs. 12:20; 2 Chr. 32:5
- 2 Samuel 5:11 : For ver. 11-25, see 1 Chr. 14:1-16
- 2 Samuel 5:11 : 1 Kgs. 5; 6
- 2 Samuel 5:13 : [1 Chr. 3:9]
- 2 Samuel 5:14 : [1 Chr. 3:5-8]
- 2 Samuel 5:17 : ch. 23:14; 1 Sam. 22:4, 5
- 2 Samuel 5:18 : ver. 22; ch. 23:13; Josh. 15:8; 18:16; [Josh. 17:15]
- 2 Samuel 5:19 : See ch. 2:1
- 2 Samuel 5:20 : Isa. 28:21
- 2 Samuel 5:22 : ver. 18
- 2 Samuel 5:23 : See 1 Sam. 22:10
- 2 Samuel 5:24 : [2 Kgs. 7:6]
- 2 Samuel 5:24 : [Judg. 4:14]
- 2 Samuel 5:25 : Josh. 10:33
- 2 Samuel 6:1 : For ver. 1-11, see 1 Chr. 13:6-14
- 2 Samuel 6:2 : Josh. 15:9, 60
- 2 Samuel 6:2 : 2 Chr. 1:4
- 2 Samuel 6:2 : Ex. 25:22; 1 Sam. 4:4; Ps. 80:1
- 2 Samuel 6:3 : [1 Sam. 6:7]
- 2 Samuel 6:3 : [1 Sam. 7:1]
- 2 Samuel 6:5 : [1 Chr. 13:8]; See Ps. 150:3-5
- 2 Samuel 6:6 : [1 Chr. 13:9]
- 2 Samuel 6:6 : [Num. 4:15; 1 Chr. 15:2]
- 2 Samuel 6:7 : [1 Sam. 6:19]
- 2 Samuel 6:10 : [1 Chr. 15:25]
- 2 Samuel 6:11 : 1 Chr. 26:5
- 2 Samuel 6:12 : For ver. 12-19, see 1 Chr. 15:25–16:3
- 2 Samuel 6:12 : [1 Kgs. 8:1]
- 2 Samuel 6:13 : [Num. 4:15; 7:9; Josh. 3:3; 1 Chr. 15:2, 15]
- 2 Samuel 6:13 : [1 Kgs. 8:5]
- 2 Samuel 6:14 : [Ex. 15:20; Ps. 30:11; 150:4]
- 2 Samuel 6:14 : 1 Sam. 2:18
- 2 Samuel 6:17 : [1 Chr. 15:1; 2 Chr. 1:4; Ps. 132:8]
- 2 Samuel 6:17 : [1 Kgs. 8:5, 62, 63]
- 2 Samuel 6:18 : [1 Kgs. 8:14, 55]
- 2 Samuel 6:19 : 1 Chr. 16:43
- 2 Samuel 6:20 : ver. 14, 16; [1 Sam. 19:24]
- 2 Samuel 6:20 : Judg. 9:4
- 2 Samuel 6:21 : 1 Sam. 13:14; 15:28
A New Commandment
31 When he had gone out, Jesus said, (A)“Now is the Son of Man glorified, and (B)God is glorified in him. 32 If God is glorified in him, (C)God will also glorify him in himself, and (D)glorify him at once. 33 Little children, (E)yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just (F)as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’ 34 (G)A new commandment (H)I give to you, (I)that you love one another: (J)just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 (K)By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Jesus Foretells Peter's Denial
36 Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” (L)Jesus answered him, “Where I am going (M)you cannot follow me now, (N)but you will follow afterward.” 37 (O)Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” 38 Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, (P)the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.
I Am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life
14 (Q)“Let not your hearts be troubled. (R)Believe in God;[a] believe also in me. 2 In (S)my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that (T)I go to prepare a place for you?[b] 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you (U)to myself, that (V)where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”[c] 5 (W)Thomas said to him, “Lord, (X)we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am (Y)the way, and (Z)the truth, and (AA)the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 (AB)If you had known me, you would have (AC)known my Father also.[d] From now on you do know him and (AD)have seen him.”
8 (AE)Philip said to him, “Lord, (AF)show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? (AG)Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that (AH)I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you (AI)I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that (AJ)I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else (AK)believe on account of the works themselves.
12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, (AL)whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I (AM)am going to the Father. 13 (AN)Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that (AO)the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 (AP)If you ask me[e] anything in my name, I will do it.
- John 14:1 Or You believe in God
- John 14:2 Or In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you
- John 14:4 Some manuscripts Where I am going you know, and the way you know
- John 14:7 Or If you know me, you will know my Father also, or If you have known me, you will know my Father also
- John 14:14 Some manuscripts omit me
- John 13:31 : See ch. 7:39
- John 13:31 : ch. 14:13; 15:8; 17:1, 4; 1 Pet. 4:11
- John 13:32 : ch. 17:1, 5
- John 13:32 : See ch. 12:23
- John 13:33 : See ch. 7:33
- John 13:33 : ch. 7:34; 8:21
- John 13:34 : 1 John 2:7, 8; 3:11; 2 John 5
- John 13:34 : ch. 15:12, 17; 1 John 3:23; 4:21
- John 13:34 : Lev. 19:18; Rom. 13:8; Col. 3:14; 1 Thess. 4:9; 1 Tim. 1:5; 1 Pet. 1:22
- John 13:34 : ch. 15:12; Eph. 5:2; 1 John 4:10, 11
- John 13:35 : [1 John 3:14; 4:20]
- John 13:36 : [ver. 7]
- John 13:36 : [ch. 7:34; 14:2]
- John 13:36 : ch. 21:18, 19; 2 Pet. 1:14
- John 13:37 : Matt. 26:33-35; Mark 14:29-31; Luke 22:33, 34
- John 13:38 : ch. 18:27
- John 14:1 : ver. 27; [ch. 16:22, 23; 1 Pet. 3:14]
- John 14:1 : See ch. 12:44
- John 14:2 : [ch. 2:16]
- John 14:2 : ch. 16:7; [ch. 8:21, 22; 13:33, 36]
- John 14:3 : ver. 18, 28; [ch. 21:22, 23]
- John 14:3 : See ch. 12:26
- John 14:5 : See ch. 11:16
- John 14:5 : ch. 13:36
- John 14:6 : Heb. 9:8; 10:20; [Eph. 2:18]
- John 14:6 : ch. 1:14, 17; [1 John 5:20]
- John 14:6 : See ch. 11:25
- John 14:7 : ch. 8:19
- John 14:7 : 1 John 2:13, 14
- John 14:7 : [ch. 6:46]
- John 14:8 : ch. 1:43, 44; 12:21
- John 14:8 : [Ex. 33:18]
- John 14:9 : ch. 12:45; [ch. 10:30; 15:24; Col. 1:15; Heb. 1:3]
- John 14:10 : See ch. 10:38
- John 14:10 : See ch. 5:19, 20
- John 14:11 : [See ver. 10 above]; See ch. 10:38
- John 14:11 : See ch. 5:36
- John 14:12 : [Matt. 17:20; 21:21; Mark 11:23; 16:17]
- John 14:12 : ver. 28; ch. 16:28; [ch. 7:33; 13:1, 3; 16:5, 10, 17; 17:11, 13; 20:17]
- John 14:13 : ch. 15:16; 16:23, 24; See Matt. 7:7
- John 14:13 : See ch. 13:31
- John 14:14 : [See ver. 13 above]; ch. 15:16; 16:23, 24; See Matt. 7:7
17 (A)Deal bountifully with your servant,
(B)that I may live and keep your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
19 I am (C)a sojourner on the earth;
(D)hide not your commandments from me!
20 My soul is consumed with (E)longing
for your rules[a] at all times.
21 You rebuke (F)the insolent, (G)accursed ones,
who (H)wander from your commandments.
22 Take away from me (I)scorn and contempt,
(J)for I have kept your testimonies.
23 Even though (K)princes sit plotting against me,
your servant will (L)meditate on your statutes.
24 Your testimonies are my (M)delight;
they are my (N)counselors.
25 (O)My soul clings to the dust;
(P)give me life (Q)according to your word!
26 When (R)I told of my ways, you answered me;
(S)teach me your statutes!
27 (T)Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will (U)meditate on your wondrous works.
28 (V)My soul melts away for sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word!
29 Put false ways far from me
and graciously (W)teach me your law!
30 I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I (X)set your rules before me.
31 I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
(Y)let me not be put to shame!
32 I will run in the way of your commandments
when you (Z)enlarge my heart![b]
- Psalm 119:17 : See Ps. 13:6
- Psalm 119:17 : ver. 144
- Psalm 119:19 : See Ps. 39:12
- Psalm 119:19 : [Isa. 6:9, 10]
- Psalm 119:20 : ver. 40, 131, 174; [Ps. 42:1, 2]
- Psalm 119:21 : See ver. 51
- Psalm 119:21 : Deut. 27:26
- Psalm 119:21 : [ver. 10]
- Psalm 119:22 : See Ps. 44:13
- Psalm 119:22 : [ver. 2]
- Psalm 119:23 : ver. 161; [Dan. 6:4]
- Psalm 119:23 : ver. 15, 27, 28
- Psalm 119:24 : [Rom. 7:22]; See ver. 16
- Psalm 119:24 : [ver. 104]
- Psalm 119:25 : Ps. 44:25
- Psalm 119:25 : ver. 37, 40, 88, 107, 149, 154, 156, 159; See Ps. 71:20
- Psalm 119:25 : ver. 65
- Psalm 119:26 : [Ps. 37:5]
- Psalm 119:26 : ver. 12
- Psalm 119:27 : ver. 18, 34, 73, 125, 144, 169; [Job 32:8]
- Psalm 119:27 : ver. 15, 23, 78
- Psalm 119:28 : See Ps. 22:14
- Psalm 119:29 : [ver. 27]
- Psalm 119:30 : [Ps. 16:8]
- Psalm 119:31 : ver. 116
- Psalm 119:32 : 1 Kgs. 4:29; Isa. 60:5; 2 Cor. 6:11, 13