The Seven Lamps
8 Now the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to Aaron and say to him, When you set up the lamps, the seven lamps shall give light in front of the lampstand.” 3 And Aaron did so: he set up its lamps in front of the lampstand, as the Lord commanded Moses. 4 And (A)this was the workmanship of the lampstand, hammered work of gold. From its base to its flowers, it was hammered work; according to the pattern that the Lord had shown Moses, so he made the lampstand.
Cleansing of the Levites
5 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 6 “Take the Levites from among the people of Israel and cleanse them. 7 Thus you shall do to them to cleanse them: sprinkle the (B)water of purification upon them, and (C)let them go with a razor over all their body, and wash their clothes and cleanse themselves. 8 Then let them take a bull from the herd and (D)its grain offering of fine flour mixed with oil, (E)and you shall take another bull from the herd for a sin offering. 9 (F)And you shall bring the Levites before the tent of meeting (G)and assemble the whole congregation of the people of Israel. 10 When you bring the Levites before the Lord, the people of Israel (H)shall lay their hands on the Levites, 11 and Aaron shall offer the Levites before the Lord as a wave offering from the people of Israel, that they may do the service of the Lord. 12 Then the Levites (I)shall lay their hands on the heads of the bulls, and you shall offer (J)the one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering to the Lord to make atonement for the Levites. 13 And you shall set the Levites before Aaron and his sons, and shall offer them as (K)a wave offering to the Lord.
14 “Thus you shall separate the Levites from among the people of Israel, and (L)the Levites shall be mine. 15 And after that the Levites shall go in to serve at the tent of meeting, when you have cleansed them and offered them as a (M)wave offering. 16 For they are (N)wholly given to me from among the people of Israel. (O)Instead of all who open the womb, the firstborn of all the people of Israel, I have taken them for myself. 17 (P)For all the firstborn among the people of Israel are mine, both of man and of beast. On the day that I struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I consecrated them for myself, 18 and I have taken the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the people of Israel. 19 (Q)And I have given the Levites as a gift to Aaron and his sons from among the people of Israel, to do the service for the people of Israel at the tent of meeting and (R)to make atonement for the people of Israel, (S)that there may be no plague among the people of Israel when the people of Israel come near the sanctuary.”
20 Thus did Moses and Aaron and all the congregation of the people of Israel to the Levites. According to all that the Lord commanded Moses concerning the Levites, the people of Israel did to them. 21 And (T)the Levites purified themselves from sin and washed their clothes, and (U)Aaron offered them as a wave offering before the Lord, and Aaron made atonement for them to cleanse them. 22 And after that the Levites went in to do their service in the tent of meeting before Aaron and his sons; as the Lord had commanded Moses concerning the Levites, so they did to them.
Retirement of the Levites
23 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 24 “This applies to the Levites: (V)from twenty-five years old and upward they[a] shall come to do duty in the service of the tent of meeting. 25 And from the age of fifty years they shall withdraw from the duty of the service and serve no more. 26 They minister[b] to their brothers in the tent of meeting (W)by keeping guard, but they shall do no service. Thus shall you do to the Levites in assigning their duties.”
The Passover Celebrated
9 And the Lord spoke to Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, (X)in the first month of the second year after they had come out of the land of Egypt, saying, 2 “Let the people of Israel keep the Passover at its appointed time. 3 (Y)On the fourteenth day of this month, at twilight, you shall keep it at its appointed time; according to all its statutes and all its rules you shall keep it.” 4 So Moses told the people of Israel that they should keep the Passover. 5 And they kept the Passover in the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, at twilight, in the wilderness of Sinai; according to all that the Lord commanded Moses, so the people of Israel did. 6 And there were certain men who were (Z)unclean through touching a dead body, so that they could not keep the Passover on that day, and (AA)they came before Moses and Aaron on that day. 7 And those men said to him, “We are unclean through touching a dead body. Why are we kept from bringing the Lord's (AB)offering at its appointed time among the people of Israel?” 8 And Moses said to them, “Wait, that (AC)I may hear what the Lord will command concerning you.”
9 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 10 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, If any one of you or of your descendants is unclean through touching a dead body, or is on a long journey, he shall still keep the Passover to the Lord. 11 (AD)In the second month on the fourteenth day at twilight they shall keep it. (AE)They shall eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. 12 (AF)They shall leave none of it until the morning, (AG)nor break any of its bones; (AH)according to all the statute for the Passover they shall keep it. 13 But if anyone who is clean and is not on a journey fails to keep the Passover, (AI)that person shall be cut off from his people because he did not bring the Lord's (AJ)offering at its appointed time; that man shall bear his sin. 14 And if a stranger sojourns among you and would keep the Passover to the Lord, according to the statute of the Passover and according to its rule, so shall he do. (AK)You shall have one statute, both for the sojourner and for the native.”
The Cloud Covering the Tabernacle
15 (AL)On the day that the tabernacle was set up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, the tent of the testimony. And (AM)at evening it was over the tabernacle like the appearance of fire until morning. 16 So it was always: the cloud covered it by day[c] and the appearance of fire by night. 17 And whenever the cloud (AN)lifted from over the tent, after that the people of Israel set out, and in the place where the cloud settled down, there the people of Israel camped. 18 At the command of the Lord the people of Israel set out, and at the command of the Lord they camped. (AO)As long as the cloud rested over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. 19 Even when the cloud continued over the tabernacle many days, the people of Israel (AP)kept the charge of the Lord and did not set out. 20 Sometimes the cloud was a few days over the tabernacle, and according to the command of the Lord they remained in camp; then according to the command of the Lord they set out. 21 And sometimes the cloud remained from evening until morning. And when the cloud lifted in the morning, they set out, or if it continued for a day and a night, when the cloud lifted they set out. 22 Whether it was two days, or a month, or a longer time, that the cloud continued over the tabernacle, abiding there, the people of Israel (AQ)remained in camp and did not set out, but when it lifted they set out. 23 At the command of the Lord they camped, and at the command of the Lord they set out. (AR)They kept the charge of the Lord, at the command of the Lord by Moses.
- Numbers 8:4 : Ex. 25:31
- Numbers 8:7 : ch. 19:9, 17; [Lev. 8:6]
- Numbers 8:7 : [Lev. 14:8, 9]
- Numbers 8:8 : Lev. 2:1; See Ex. 29:41
- Numbers 8:8 : ver. 12
- Numbers 8:9 : [Ex. 29:4; 40:12]
- Numbers 8:9 : [Lev. 8:3]
- Numbers 8:10 : [Lev. 1:4]
- Numbers 8:12 : [Ex. 29:10]
- Numbers 8:12 : ver. 8
- Numbers 8:13 : ver. 11, 21
- Numbers 8:14 : ch. 3:45; [ch. 16:9]
- Numbers 8:15 : [See ver. 13 above]; ver. 11, 21
- Numbers 8:16 : ch. 3:9
- Numbers 8:16 : ch. 3:12, 45
- Numbers 8:17 : See Ex. 13:2
- Numbers 8:19 : [See ver. 16 above]; ch. 3:9
- Numbers 8:19 : ch. 25:11, 13
- Numbers 8:19 : See ch. 1:53
- Numbers 8:21 : ver. 7
- Numbers 8:21 : ver. 11, 12, 13, 15
- Numbers 8:24 : [ch. 4:3; 1 Chr. 23:3, 24, 27]
- Numbers 8:26 : See ch. 1:53
- Numbers 9:1 : [ch. 1:1]
- Numbers 9:3 : See Lev. 23:5
- Numbers 9:6 : ch. 5:2; 19:11, 16; [John 18:28]
- Numbers 9:6 : ch. 27:2; Ex. 18:15, 19, 26
- Numbers 9:7 : ver. 13
- Numbers 9:8 : ch. 27:5
- Numbers 9:11 : See Ex. 12:6; 2 Chr. 30:2-15
- Numbers 9:11 : Ex. 12:8; [Deut. 16:3]
- Numbers 9:12 : Ex. 12:10
- Numbers 9:12 : Ex. 12:46; Cited John 19:36
- Numbers 9:12 : Ex. 12:43, 49
- Numbers 9:13 : Ex. 12:15; [Gen. 17:14]
- Numbers 9:13 : ver. 7
- Numbers 9:14 : Ex. 12:48, 49
- Numbers 9:15 : Ex. 40:17, 34
- Numbers 9:15 : See Ex. 13:21
- Numbers 9:17 : ch. 10:11, 33, 34; Ex. 40:36
- Numbers 9:18 : [1 Cor. 10:1]
- Numbers 9:19 : See ch. 1:53
- Numbers 9:22 : Ex. 40:36, 37
- Numbers 9:23 : [See ver. 19 above]; See ch. 1:53
The Abomination of Desolation
14 “But when you see (A)the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not to be ((B)let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 (C)Let the one who is on (D)the housetop not go down, nor enter his house, to take anything out, 16 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. 17 And (E)alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! 18 Pray that it may not happen in winter. 19 For in those days there will be (F)such (G)tribulation as has not been (H)from the beginning of the creation that (I)God created until now, and never will be. 20 And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for (J)the sake of the elect, whom (K)he chose, he shortened the days. 21 And (L)then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. 22 (M)For false christs and false prophets will arise and (N)perform signs and wonders, (O)to lead astray, if possible, (P)the elect. 23 But (Q)be on guard; (R)I have told you all things beforehand.
The Coming of the Son of Man
24 “But in those days, after (S)that tribulation, (T)the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, 25 and (U)the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. 26 And then they will see (V)the Son of Man coming in clouds (W)with great power and glory. 27 And then (X)he will send out the angels and (Y)gather (Z)his elect from (AA)the four winds, from (AB)the ends of the earth (AC)to the ends of heaven.
The Lesson of the Fig Tree
28 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. 29 So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, (AD)at the very gates. 30 (AE)Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 31 (AF)Heaven and earth will pass away, but (AG)my words will not pass away.
No One Knows That Day or Hour
32 “But concerning that day or that hour, (AH)no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, (AI)nor the Son, (AJ)but only the Father. 33 (AK)Be on guard, (AL)keep awake.[a] For you do not know when the time will come. 34 (AM)It is like a man (AN)going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants[b] in charge, (AO)each with his work, and commands (AP)the doorkeeper to stay awake. 35 (AQ)Therefore stay awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, (AR)in the evening, or (AS)at midnight, or (AT)when the rooster crows,[c] or (AU)in the morning— 36 lest (AV)he come suddenly and (AW)find you asleep. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: (AX)Stay awake.”
- Mark 13:14 : Dan. 9:27; 11:31; 12:11
- Mark 13:14 : [Dan. 9:23, 25; Rev. 1:3]
- Mark 13:15 : Luke 17:31
- Mark 13:15 : See Luke 5:19
- Mark 13:17 : Luke 23:29
- Mark 13:19 : Rev. 16:18
- Mark 13:19 : ver. 24; Dan. 12:1; [Rev. 7:14]
- Mark 13:19 : See ch. 10:6; [Deut. 4:32]
- Mark 13:19 : Gen. 1:1
- Mark 13:20 : ver. 22, 27; Isa. 65:8, 9; Luke 18:7; [Matt. 22:14]
- Mark 13:20 : John 13:18; 15:19; Eph. 1:4
- Mark 13:21 : Luke 17:23; [ver. 6]
- Mark 13:22 : [1 John 2:18]
- Mark 13:22 : Deut. 13:1-3; 2 Thess. 2:9-11; Rev. 13:13, 14; 16:14; 19:20; [Acts 8:9]
- Mark 13:22 : ver. 6
- Mark 13:22 : ver. 20, 27
- Mark 13:23 : ver. 5
- Mark 13:23 : John 13:19; 14:29; [2 Pet. 3:17]
- Mark 13:24 : ver. 19
- Mark 13:24 : Isa. 13:10; 24:23; Ezek. 32:7; Joel 2:10, 31; 3:15; Acts 2:20; [Amos 5:20; 8:9; Zeph. 1:15; Rev. 6:12; 8:12]
- Mark 13:25 : Rev. 6:13; [Isa. 14:12; 34:4]
- Mark 13:26 : See Dan. 7:13
- Mark 13:26 : ch. 9:1; Matt. 26:64; [Matt. 25:31]
- Mark 13:27 : Matt. 13:41
- Mark 13:27 : [Matt. 23:37; 2 Thess. 2:1]
- Mark 13:27 : ver. 20, 22
- Mark 13:27 : Dan. 7:2; Zech. 2:6; Rev. 7:1
- Mark 13:27 : [Acts 1:8]
- Mark 13:27 : Deut. 4:32; 30:4
- Mark 13:29 : [James 5:9; Rev. 3:20]
- Mark 13:30 : See ch. 9:1
- Mark 13:31 : Ps. 102:26; Isa. 51:6; 2 Pet. 3:10; [Matt. 5:18; Heb. 12:27]
- Mark 13:31 : Ps. 119:89; Isa. 40:8; 1 Pet. 1:23, 25
- Mark 13:32 : Matt. 25:13; 1 Thess. 5:1, 2
- Mark 13:32 : [Phil. 2:6, 7]
- Mark 13:32 : [Zech. 14:7; Acts 1:7]
- Mark 13:33 : ver. 5
- Mark 13:33 : Eph. 6:18; Heb. 13:17; [ch. 14:38]
- Mark 13:34 : [Matt. 25:14]
- Mark 13:34 : [ch. 12:1; Matt. 21:33]
- Mark 13:34 : [Rom. 12:6-8]
- Mark 13:34 : Ezek. 44:11; John 10:3; [Luke 12:36]
- Mark 13:35 : ch. 14:34-38; Matt. 25:13; 26:41; Luke 12:37; 21:36; Acts 20:31; 1 Cor. 16:13; 1 Thess. 5:6; 1 Pet. 5:8
- Mark 13:35 : ch. 1:32; Luke 12:38
- Mark 13:35 : ch. 1:32; Luke 12:38
- Mark 13:35 : ch. 14:30, 68, 72
- Mark 13:35 : [ch. 6:48; Ex. 14:24]
- Mark 13:36 : [1 Thess. 5:1-6]
- Mark 13:36 : ch. 14:40
- Mark 13:37 : [See ver. 35 above]; ch. 14:34-38; Matt. 25:13; 26:41; Luke 12:37; 21:36; Acts 20:31; 1 Cor. 16:13; 1 Thess. 5:6; 1 Pet. 5:8
God Himself Is Judge
A Psalm of (A)Asaph.
3 Our God comes; he (F)does not keep silence;[a]
before him is a devouring (G)fire,
around him a mighty tempest.
4 (H)He calls to the heavens above
and to the earth, that he may judge his people:
5 “Gather to me my faithful ones,
who made (I)a covenant with me by sacrifice!”
6 (J)The heavens declare his righteousness,
for (K)God himself is judge! Selah
7 (L)“Hear, O my people, and I will speak;
O Israel, I will testify against you.
(M)I am God, your God.
8 Not for your sacrifices (N)do I rebuke you;
your burnt offerings are continually before me.
9 I will not accept a bull from your house
or goats from your folds.
10 For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 (O)I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.
12 “If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
(P)for the world and its fullness are mine.
13 Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
14 (Q)Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,[b]
and (R)perform your vows to the Most High,
15 and (S)call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will (T)deliver you, and you shall (U)glorify me.”
16 But to the wicked God says:
“What right have you to recite my statutes
or take my covenant on your lips?
17 (V)For you hate discipline,
(W)and you cast my words behind you.
18 If you see a thief, (X)you are pleased with him,
(Y)and you keep company with adulterers.
19 “You give your mouth free rein for evil,
(Z)and your tongue frames deceit.
20 You sit and speak against your brother;
you slander your own mother's son.
21 These things you have done, and I (AA)have been silent;
you thought that I[c] was one like yourself.
But now I (AB)rebuke you and (AC)lay the charge before you.
22 “Mark this, then, you who (AD)forget God,
lest I tear you apart, and there be (AE)none to deliver!
23 The one who (AF)offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me;
to one who (AG)orders his way rightly
I will show the (AH)salvation of God!”
- Psalm 50:1 : 1 Chr. 6:39; 15:17; 16:5, 7; 25:2; 2 Chr. 29:30
- Psalm 50:1 : Josh. 22:22
- Psalm 50:1 : Ps. 113:3
- Psalm 50:2 : [Lam. 2:15]; See Ps. 48:2
- Psalm 50:2 : Ps. 80:1; 94:1; Deut. 33:2
- Psalm 50:3 : [Ex. 19:16]
- Psalm 50:3 : Ps. 21:9; 97:3; Lev. 10:2; Num. 16:35; Dan. 7:10
- Psalm 50:4 : Deut. 4:26; 31:28; 32:1; Isa. 1:2; Mic. 6:1, 2
- Psalm 50:5 : Ex. 24:7, 8; See Gen. 15:9-18
- Psalm 50:6 : Ps. 89:5; 97:6; [Rev. 16:5, 7; 19:2]
- Psalm 50:6 : Ps. 58:11; 75:7
- Psalm 50:7 : Ps. 81:8; [Ps. 49:1]
- Psalm 50:7 : Ex. 20:2
- Psalm 50:8 : See Ps. 40:6
- Psalm 50:11 : [Matt. 10:29]
- Psalm 50:12 : See Ps. 24:1
- Psalm 50:14 : ver. 23; Ps. 27:6; 69:30; 107:22; Heb. 13:15; [Hos. 14:2; Rom. 12:1]
- Psalm 50:14 : Ps. 22:25; 61:8; 65:1; 76:11; 116:14, 18; Num. 30:2; Deut. 23:21; Job 22:27; Eccles. 5:4, 5
- Psalm 50:15 : Ps. 81:7; Zech. 13:9; [Ps. 107:6]
- Psalm 50:15 : Ps. 91:15
- Psalm 50:15 : ver. 23; Ps. 22:23
- Psalm 50:17 : [Rom. 2:21, 22]
- Psalm 50:17 : 1 Kgs. 14:9; Neh. 9:26
- Psalm 50:18 : Rom. 1:32
- Psalm 50:18 : [1 Tim. 5:22]
- Psalm 50:19 : [Ps. 52:2]
- Psalm 50:21 : Eccles. 8:11; Isa. 57:11
- Psalm 50:21 : Ps. 90:8; 2 Kgs. 19:4
- Psalm 50:21 : Job 13:18; 23:4
- Psalm 50:22 : See Ps. 9:17
- Psalm 50:22 : Ps. 7:2
- Psalm 50:23 : ver. 14, 15
- Psalm 50:23 : [Gal. 6:16]
- Psalm 50:23 : Ps. 91:16