8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise,
for we have the law(A) of the Lord,”
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
has handled it falsely?
9 The wise(B) will be put to shame;
they will be dismayed(C) and trapped.(D)
Since they have rejected the word(E) of the Lord,
what kind of wisdom(F) do they have?
10 Therefore I will give their wives to other men
and their fields to new owners.(G)
From the least to the greatest,
all are greedy for gain;(H)
prophets(I) and priests alike,
all practice deceit.(J)
11 They dress the wound of my people
as though it were not serious.
“Peace, peace,” they say,
when there is no peace.(K)
12 Are they ashamed of their detestable conduct?
No, they have no shame(L) at all;
they do not even know how to blush.
So they will fall among the fallen;
they will be brought down when they are punished,(M)
says the Lord.(N)
13 “‘I will take away their harvest,
declares the Lord.
There will be no grapes on the vine.(O)
There will be no figs(P) on the tree,
and their leaves will wither.(Q)
What I have given them
will be taken(R) from them.[a]’”
14 Why are we sitting here?
Let us flee to the fortified cities(S)
and perish there!
For the Lord our God has doomed us to perish
and given us poisoned water(T) to drink,
because we have sinned(U) against him.
15 We hoped for peace(V)
but no good has come,
for a time of healing
but there is only terror.(W)
16 The snorting of the enemy’s horses(X)
is heard from Dan;(Y)
at the neighing of their stallions
the whole land trembles.(Z)
They have come to devour(AA)
the land and everything in it,
the city and all who live there.
20 “The harvest is past,
the summer has ended,
and we are not saved.”
21 Since my people are crushed,(AJ) I am crushed;
I mourn,(AK) and horror grips me.
22 Is there no balm in Gilead?(AL)
Is there no physician(AM) there?
Why then is there no healing(AN)
for the wound of my people?
9 [c]1 Oh, that my head were a spring of water
and my eyes a fountain of tears!(AO)
I would weep(AP) day and night
for the slain of my people.(AQ)
2 Oh, that I had in the desert(AR)
a lodging place for travelers,
so that I might leave my people
and go away from them;
for they are all adulterers,(AS)
a crowd of unfaithful(AT) people.
3 “They make ready their tongue
like a bow, to shoot lies;(AU)
it is not by truth
that they triumph[d] in the land.
They go from one sin to another;
they do not acknowledge(AV) me,”
declares the Lord.
4 “Beware of your friends;(AW)
do not trust anyone in your clan.(AX)
For every one of them is a deceiver,[e](AY)
and every friend a slanderer.(AZ)
5 Friend deceives friend,(BA)
and no one speaks the truth.(BB)
They have taught their tongues to lie;(BC)
they weary themselves with sinning.
6 You[f] live in the midst of deception;(BD)
in their deceit they refuse to acknowledge me,”
declares the Lord.
7 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty says:
“See, I will refine(BE) and test(BF) them,
for what else can I do
because of the sin of my people?
8 Their tongue(BG) is a deadly arrow;
it speaks deceitfully.
With their mouths they all speak cordially to their neighbors,(BH)
but in their hearts they set traps(BI) for them.(BJ)
9 Should I not punish them for this?”
declares the Lord.
“Should I not avenge(BK) myself
on such a nation as this?”
10 I will weep and wail for the mountains
and take up a lament concerning the wilderness grasslands.(BL)
They are desolate and untraveled,
and the lowing of cattle is not heard.
The birds(BM) have all fled
and the animals are gone.
12 Who is wise(BR) enough to understand this? Who has been instructed by the Lord and can explain it? Why has the land been ruined and laid waste like a desert that no one can cross?
13 The Lord said, “It is because they have forsaken my law, which I set before them; they have not obeyed me or followed my law.(BS) 14 Instead, they have followed(BT) the stubbornness of their hearts;(BU) they have followed the Baals, as their ancestors taught them.” 15 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “See, I will make this people eat bitter food(BV) and drink poisoned water.(BW) 16 I will scatter them among nations(BX) that neither they nor their ancestors have known,(BY) and I will pursue them with the sword(BZ) until I have made an end of them.”(CA)
17 This is what the Lord Almighty says:
“Consider now! Call for the wailing women(CB) to come;
send for the most skillful of them.
18 Let them come quickly
and wail over us
till our eyes overflow with tears
and water streams from our eyelids.(CC)
19 The sound of wailing is heard from Zion:
‘How ruined(CD) we are!
How great is our shame!
We must leave our land
because our houses are in ruins.’”
20 Now, you women, hear the word of the Lord;
open your ears to the words of his mouth.(CE)
Teach your daughters how to wail;
teach one another a lament.(CF)
21 Death has climbed in through our windows(CG)
and has entered our fortresses;
it has removed the children from the streets
and the young men(CH) from the public squares.
22 Say, “This is what the Lord declares:
“‘Dead bodies will lie
like dung(CI) on the open field,
like cut grain behind the reaper,
with no one to gather them.’”
23 This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom(CJ)
or the strong boast of their strength(CK)
or the rich boast of their riches,(CL)
24 but let the one who boasts boast(CM) about this:
that they have the understanding to know(CN) me,
that I am the Lord,(CO) who exercises kindness,(CP)
justice and righteousness(CQ) on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
25 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will punish all who are circumcised only in the flesh(CR)— 26 Egypt, Judah, Edom, Ammon, Moab and all who live in the wilderness in distant places.[g](CS) For all these nations are really uncircumcised,(CT) and even the whole house of Israel is uncircumcised in heart.(CU)”
- Jeremiah 8:13 The meaning of the Hebrew for this sentence is uncertain.
- Jeremiah 8:18 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain.
- Jeremiah 9:1 In Hebrew texts 9:1 is numbered 8:23, and 9:2-26 is numbered 9:1-25.
- Jeremiah 9:3 Or lies; / they are not valiant for truth
- Jeremiah 9:4 Or a deceiving Jacob
- Jeremiah 9:6 That is, Jeremiah (the Hebrew is singular)
- Jeremiah 9:26 Or wilderness and who clip the hair by their foreheads
- Jeremiah 8:8 : Ro 2:17
- Jeremiah 8:9 : S Isa 29:14
- Jeremiah 8:9 : S 2Ki 19:26
- Jeremiah 8:9 : S Job 5:13
- Jeremiah 8:9 : S Jer 6:19
- Jeremiah 8:9 : Pr 1:7; 1Co 1:20
- Jeremiah 8:10 : S Jer 6:12
- Jeremiah 8:10 : S Isa 56:11
- Jeremiah 8:10 : Jer 14:14; La 2:14
- Jeremiah 8:10 : Jer 23:11, 15
- Jeremiah 8:11 : ver 15; S Jer 4:10; Eze 7:25
- Jeremiah 8:12 : S Jer 3:3
- Jeremiah 8:12 : Ps 52:5-7; Isa 3:9
- Jeremiah 8:12 : S Jer 6:15
- Jeremiah 8:13 : Hos 2:12; Joel 1:7
- Jeremiah 8:13 : Lk 13:6
- Jeremiah 8:13 : Mt 21:19
- Jeremiah 8:13 : S Jer 5:17
- Jeremiah 8:14 : S Jos 10:20; Jer 35:11
- Jeremiah 8:14 : S Dt 29:18; Jer 9:15; 23:15
- Jeremiah 8:14 : Jer 14:7, 20; Da 9:5
- Jeremiah 8:15 : S ver 11
- Jeremiah 8:15 : S Job 19:8; Jer 14:19
- Jeremiah 8:16 : S Jer 4:29
- Jeremiah 8:16 : S Ge 30:6
- Jeremiah 8:16 : Jer 51:29
- Jeremiah 8:16 : S Jer 5:17
- Jeremiah 8:17 : Nu 21:6; S Dt 32:24
- Jeremiah 8:17 : S Ps 58:5; S Isa 3:3
- Jeremiah 8:18 : La 5:17
- Jeremiah 8:19 : Dt 28:64; Jer 9:16
- Jeremiah 8:19 : Mic 4:9
- Jeremiah 8:19 : Jer 44:3
- Jeremiah 8:19 : S Isa 41:24
- Jeremiah 8:19 : S Dt 32:21
- Jeremiah 8:21 : S Ps 94:5
- Jeremiah 8:21 : Ps 78:40; Isa 43:24; Jer 4:19; 10:19; 14:17; 30:14; La 2:13; Eze 6:9
- Jeremiah 8:22 : S Ge 37:25
- Jeremiah 8:22 : Job 13:4
- Jeremiah 8:22 : S Isa 1:6; Jer 30:12
- Jeremiah 9:1 : S Ps 119:136
- Jeremiah 9:1 : Jer 13:17; 14:17; La 2:11, 18; 3:48
- Jeremiah 9:1 : Isa 22:4
- Jeremiah 9:2 : Ps 55:7
- Jeremiah 9:2 : S Nu 25:1; Jer 23:10; Hos 4:2; 7:4
- Jeremiah 9:2 : S 1Ki 19:10; S Isa 24:16
- Jeremiah 9:3 : ver 8; S Ex 20:16; Ps 64:3; S Isa 44:20; Jer 18:18; Mic 6:12
- Jeremiah 9:3 : S Isa 1:3
- Jeremiah 9:4 : S 2Sa 15:12
- Jeremiah 9:4 : Mic 7:5-6
- Jeremiah 9:4 : S Ge 27:35
- Jeremiah 9:4 : S Ex 20:16; S Lev 19:16
- Jeremiah 9:5 : S Lev 6:2
- Jeremiah 9:5 : S Ps 15:2; S Isa 59:15
- Jeremiah 9:5 : S Ps 52:3
- Jeremiah 9:6 : S Jer 5:27
- Jeremiah 9:7 : S Job 28:1; S Isa 1:25
- Jeremiah 9:7 : S Jer 6:27
- Jeremiah 9:8 : S ver 3; S Ps 35:20
- Jeremiah 9:8 : S Isa 3:5
- Jeremiah 9:8 : S Jer 5:26
- Jeremiah 9:8 : ver 4
- Jeremiah 9:9 : S Dt 32:43; S Isa 10:3
- Jeremiah 9:10 : Jer 23:10; Joel 1:19
- Jeremiah 9:10 : S Jer 4:25; 12:4; Hos 4:3; Joel 1:18
- Jeremiah 9:11 : Jer 26:18
- Jeremiah 9:11 : S Job 30:29; S Isa 34:13
- Jeremiah 9:11 : S Jer 1:15
- Jeremiah 9:11 : S Lev 26:31; Isa 25:2; S Jer 4:13; 26:9; 33:10; 50:3, 13; 51:62; La 1:4
- Jeremiah 9:12 : S Ps 107:43
- Jeremiah 9:13 : S 2Ch 7:19; S Ps 89:30-32
- Jeremiah 9:14 : S Jer 2:8, 23; Am 2:4
- Jeremiah 9:14 : S Jer 3:17; S 7:24
- Jeremiah 9:15 : La 3:15
- Jeremiah 9:15 : S Jer 8:14
- Jeremiah 9:16 : S Lev 26:33
- Jeremiah 9:16 : S Dt 4:32; S Jer 8:19
- Jeremiah 9:16 : Jer 14:12; 24:10; Eze 5:2
- Jeremiah 9:16 : Jer 44:27; Eze 5:12
- Jeremiah 9:17 : S Ecc 12:5
- Jeremiah 9:18 : S Ps 119:136; La 3:48
- Jeremiah 9:19 : S Jer 4:13
- Jeremiah 9:20 : Jer 23:16
- Jeremiah 9:20 : Isa 32:9-13
- Jeremiah 9:21 : Joel 2:9
- Jeremiah 9:21 : S 2Ch 36:17; S Isa 40:30; S Jer 16:6
- Jeremiah 9:22 : S 2Ki 9:37
- Jeremiah 9:23 : S Job 4:12; S Ecc 9:11
- Jeremiah 9:23 : S 1Ki 20:11
- Jeremiah 9:23 : Ps 62:10; S Pr 11:28; Jer 48:7; 49:4; Eze 28:4-5
- Jeremiah 9:24 : S Ps 34:2; 1Co 1:31*; Gal 6:14
- Jeremiah 9:24 : S Ps 36:10
- Jeremiah 9:24 : 2Co 10:17*
- Jeremiah 9:24 : Ps 51:1
- Jeremiah 9:24 : Ps 36:6
- Jeremiah 9:25 : S Lev 26:41; Ro 2:25
- Jeremiah 9:26 : Jer 25:23; 49:32
- Jeremiah 9:26 : S 1Sa 14:6; Eze 31:18
- Jeremiah 9:26 : Ac 7:51
Living as Those Made Alive in Christ
3 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ,(A) set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.(B) 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.(C) 3 For you died,(D) and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your[a] life,(E) appears,(F) then you also will appear with him in glory.(G)
5 Put to death,(H) therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:(I) sexual immorality,(J) impurity, lust, evil desires and greed,(K) which is idolatry.(L) 6 Because of these, the wrath of God(M) is coming.[b] 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.(N) 8 But now you must also rid yourselves(O) of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander,(P) and filthy language from your lips.(Q) 9 Do not lie to each other,(R) since you have taken off your old self(S) with its practices 10 and have put on the new self,(T) which is being renewed(U) in knowledge in the image of its Creator.(V) 11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew,(W) circumcised or uncircumcised,(X) barbarian, Scythian, slave or free,(Y) but Christ is all,(Z) and is in all.
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves(AA) with compassion, kindness, humility,(AB) gentleness and patience.(AC) 13 Bear with each other(AD) and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.(AE) 14 And over all these virtues put on love,(AF) which binds them all together in perfect unity.(AG)
15 Let the peace of Christ(AH) rule in your hearts, since as members of one body(AI) you were called to peace.(AJ) And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ(AK) dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom(AL) through psalms,(AM) hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.(AN) 17 And whatever you do,(AO) whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks(AP) to God the Father through him.
- Colossians 3:1 : S Ro 6:5
- Colossians 3:1 : S Mk 16:19
- Colossians 3:2 : Php 3:19, 20
- Colossians 3:3 : S Ro 6:2; 2Co 5:14
- Colossians 3:4 : Gal 2:20
- Colossians 3:4 : 1Co 1:7
- Colossians 3:4 : 1Pe 1:13; 1Jn 3:2
- Colossians 3:5 : S Ro 6:2; S Eph 4:22
- Colossians 3:5 : S Gal 5:24
- Colossians 3:5 : S 1Co 6:18
- Colossians 3:5 : Eph 5:3
- Colossians 3:5 : Gal 5:19-21; Eph 5:5
- Colossians 3:6 : S Ro 1:18
- Colossians 3:7 : S Eph 2:2
- Colossians 3:8 : S Eph 4:22
- Colossians 3:8 : Eph 4:31
- Colossians 3:8 : Eph 4:29
- Colossians 3:9 : S Eph 4:22, 25
- Colossians 3:9 : S Ro 6:6
- Colossians 3:10 : S Ro 6:4; S 13:14
- Colossians 3:10 : Ro 12:2; S 2Co 4:16; Eph 4:23
- Colossians 3:10 : Eph 2:10
- Colossians 3:11 : Ro 10:12; 1Co 12:13
- Colossians 3:11 : S 1Co 7:19
- Colossians 3:11 : Gal 3:28
- Colossians 3:11 : Eph 1:23
- Colossians 3:12 : ver 10
- Colossians 3:12 : Php 2:3
- Colossians 3:12 : 2Co 6:6; Gal 5:22, 23; Eph 4:2
- Colossians 3:13 : Eph 4:2
- Colossians 3:13 : Eph 4:32
- Colossians 3:14 : 1Co 13:1-13
- Colossians 3:14 : S Ro 15:5
- Colossians 3:15 : S Jn 14:27
- Colossians 3:15 : S Ro 12:5
- Colossians 3:15 : S Ro 14:19
- Colossians 3:16 : Ro 10:17
- Colossians 3:16 : Col 1:28
- Colossians 3:16 : Ps 47:7
- Colossians 3:16 : S Eph 5:19
- Colossians 3:17 : 1Co 10:31
- Colossians 3:17 : S Eph 5:20
32 In spite of all this, they kept on sinning;(A)
in spite of his wonders,(B) they did not believe.(C)
33 So he ended their days in futility(D)
and their years in terror.
34 Whenever God slew them, they would seek(E) him;
they eagerly turned to him again.
35 They remembered that God was their Rock,(F)
that God Most High was their Redeemer.(G)
36 But then they would flatter him with their mouths,(H)
lying to him with their tongues;
37 their hearts were not loyal(I) to him,
they were not faithful to his covenant.
38 Yet he was merciful;(J)
he forgave(K) their iniquities(L)
and did not destroy them.
Time after time he restrained his anger(M)
and did not stir up his full wrath.
39 He remembered that they were but flesh,(N)
a passing breeze(O) that does not return.
40 How often they rebelled(P) against him in the wilderness(Q)
and grieved him(R) in the wasteland!
41 Again and again they put God to the test;(S)
they vexed the Holy One of Israel.(T)
42 They did not remember(U) his power—
the day he redeemed them from the oppressor,(V)
43 the day he displayed his signs(W) in Egypt,
his wonders(X) in the region of Zoan.
44 He turned their river into blood;(Y)
they could not drink from their streams.
45 He sent swarms of flies(Z) that devoured them,
and frogs(AA) that devastated them.
46 He gave their crops to the grasshopper,(AB)
their produce to the locust.(AC)
47 He destroyed their vines with hail(AD)
and their sycamore-figs with sleet.
48 He gave over their cattle to the hail,
their livestock(AE) to bolts of lightning.
49 He unleashed against them his hot anger,(AF)
his wrath, indignation and hostility—
a band of destroying angels.(AG)
50 He prepared a path for his anger;
he did not spare them from death
but gave them over to the plague.
51 He struck down all the firstborn of Egypt,(AH)
the firstfruits of manhood in the tents of Ham.(AI)
52 But he brought his people out like a flock;(AJ)
he led them like sheep through the wilderness.
53 He guided them safely, so they were unafraid;
but the sea engulfed(AK) their enemies.(AL)
54 And so he brought them to the border of his holy land,
to the hill country his right hand(AM) had taken.
55 He drove out nations(AN) before them
and allotted their lands to them as an inheritance;(AO)
he settled the tribes of Israel in their homes.
- Psalm 78:32 : S ver 17
- Psalm 78:32 : ver 11
- Psalm 78:32 : ver 22
- Psalm 78:33 : Nu 14:29, 35
- Psalm 78:34 : S Dt 4:29; Hos 5:15
- Psalm 78:35 : S Ge 49:24
- Psalm 78:35 : S Dt 9:26
- Psalm 78:36 : Eze 33:31
- Psalm 78:37 : ver 8; Ac 8:21
- Psalm 78:38 : S Ex 34:6
- Psalm 78:38 : Isa 1:25; 27:9; 48:10; Da 11:35
- Psalm 78:38 : Ps 25:11; 85:2
- Psalm 78:38 : S Job 9:13; S Isa 30:18
- Psalm 78:39 : S Ge 6:3; S Isa 29:5
- Psalm 78:39 : S Job 7:7; Jas 4:14
- Psalm 78:40 : S Ex 23:21
- Psalm 78:40 : Ps 95:8; 106:14
- Psalm 78:40 : Eph 4:30
- Psalm 78:41 : S Ex 17:2
- Psalm 78:41 : S 2Ki 19:22; Ps 71:22; 89:18
- Psalm 78:42 : S Jdg 3:7; S Ne 9:17
- Psalm 78:42 : S Ps 27:11
- Psalm 78:43 : Ex 10:1
- Psalm 78:43 : S Ex 3:20
- Psalm 78:44 : Ex 7:20-21; Ps 105:29
- Psalm 78:45 : Ex 8:24; Ps 105:31
- Psalm 78:45 : S Ex 8:2, 6
- Psalm 78:46 : Na 3:15
- Psalm 78:46 : S Ex 10:13
- Psalm 78:47 : Ex 9:23; Ps 105:32; 147:17
- Psalm 78:48 : Ex 9:25
- Psalm 78:49 : Ex 15:7
- Psalm 78:49 : S Ge 19:13; 1Co 10:10
- Psalm 78:51 : S Ex 12:12; Ps 135:8
- Psalm 78:51 : Ps 105:23; 106:22
- Psalm 78:52 : S Job 21:11; S Ps 28:9; 77:20
- Psalm 78:53 : S Ex 14:28
- Psalm 78:53 : Ex 15:7; Ps 106:10
- Psalm 78:54 : Ps 44:3
- Psalm 78:55 : Ps 44:2
- Psalm 78:55 : S Dt 1:38; S Jos 13:7; Ac 13:19
27 Put your outdoor work in order
and get your fields ready;
after that, build your house.