The Covenant Renewal at Shechem
24 Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel (A)to Shechem and (B)summoned the elders, the heads, the judges, and the officers of Israel. And (C)they presented themselves before God. 2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘Long ago, (D)your fathers lived beyond the Euphrates,[a] Terah, the father of Abraham and of Nahor; and (E)they served other gods. 3 (F)Then I took your father Abraham from beyond the River[b] and (G)led him through all the land of Canaan, and made his offspring many. (H)I gave him Isaac. 4 And to Isaac I gave (I)Jacob and Esau. (J)And I gave Esau the hill country of Seir to possess, (K)but Jacob and his children went down to Egypt. 5 (L)And I sent Moses and Aaron, (M)and I plagued Egypt with what I did in the midst of it, and (N)afterward I brought you out.
6 “‘Then (O)I brought your fathers out of Egypt, and (P)you came to the sea. (Q)And the Egyptians pursued your fathers with chariots and horsemen to the Red Sea. 7 (R)And when they cried to the Lord, (S)he put darkness between you and the Egyptians (T)and made the sea come upon them and cover them; (U)and your eyes saw what I did in Egypt. (V)And you lived in the wilderness a long time. 8 Then I brought you to the land of the Amorites, who lived on the other side of the Jordan. (W)They fought with you, and I gave them into your hand, and you took possession of their land, and I destroyed them before you. 9 (X)Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and fought against Israel. (Y)And he sent and invited Balaam the son of Beor to curse you, 10 (Z)but I would not listen to Balaam. (AA)Indeed, he blessed you. So I delivered you out of his hand. 11 (AB)And you went over the Jordan and came to Jericho, (AC)and the leaders of Jericho fought against you, and also (AD)the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. And I gave them into your hand. 12 And I sent (AE)the hornet before you, which drove them out before you, the two kings of the Amorites; it was (AF)not by your sword or by your bow. 13 I gave you a land on which you had not labored (AG)and cities that you had not built, and you dwell in them. You eat the fruit of vineyards and olive orchards that you did not plant.’
Choose Whom You Will Serve
14 (AH)“Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. (AI)Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 (AJ)And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, (AK)choose this day whom you will serve, whether (AL)the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or (AM)the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. (AN)But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
16 Then the people answered, “Far be it from us that we should forsake the Lord to serve other gods, 17 for it is the Lord our God who brought us and our fathers up from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, and who did those great signs in our sight and preserved us in all the way that we went, and among all the peoples through whom we passed. 18 And the Lord drove out before us all the peoples, the Amorites who lived in the land. Therefore we also will serve the Lord, for he is our God.”
19 But Joshua said to the people, “You are not able to serve the Lord, for he is (AO)a holy God. He is (AP)a jealous God; (AQ)he will not forgive your transgressions or your sins. 20 (AR)If you forsake the Lord and serve foreign gods, then (AS)he will turn and do you harm and consume you, after having done you good.” 21 And the people said to Joshua, “No, but we will serve the Lord.” 22 Then Joshua said to the people, “You are witnesses against yourselves that (AT)you have chosen the Lord, to serve him.” And they said, “We are witnesses.” 23 He said, “Then (AU)put away the foreign gods that are among you, and incline your heart to the Lord, the God of Israel.” 24 And the people said to Joshua, “The Lord our God we will serve, and his voice we will obey.” 25 So Joshua (AV)made a covenant with the people that day, and put in place (AW)statutes and rules for them at Shechem. 26 And Joshua (AX)wrote these words in the Book of the Law of God. And (AY)he took a large stone and set it up there (AZ)under the terebinth that was by the sanctuary of the Lord. 27 And Joshua said to all the people, “Behold, (BA)this stone shall be a witness against us, for (BB)it has heard all the words of the Lord that he spoke to us. Therefore it shall be a witness against you, lest you deal falsely with your God.” 28 So Joshua (BC)sent the people away, every man to his inheritance.
Joshua's Death and Burial
29 (BD)After these things Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died, being 110 years old. 30 And they buried him in his own inheritance at (BE)Timnath-serah, which is in the hill country of Ephraim, north of the mountain of Gaash.
32 (BH)As for the bones of Joseph, which the people of Israel brought up from Egypt, they buried them at Shechem, in the piece of land (BI)that Jacob bought from the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for a hundred pieces of money.[c] It became an inheritance of the descendants of Joseph.
- Joshua 24:1 : ver. 25, 32
- Joshua 24:1 : See ch. 23:2
- Joshua 24:1 : 1 Sam. 10:19
- Joshua 24:2 : See Gen. 11:27-32
- Joshua 24:2 : [Gen. 31:30; 35:2]
- Joshua 24:3 : See Gen. 12:1-5; Acts 7:2-4
- Joshua 24:3 : Gen. 12:6
- Joshua 24:3 : Gen. 21:2, 3
- Joshua 24:4 : Gen. 25:24-26
- Joshua 24:4 : Gen. 36:8; Deut. 2:5
- Joshua 24:4 : Gen. 46:1, 6; Acts 7:15
- Joshua 24:5 : Ex. 3:10; 4:14
- Joshua 24:5 : See Ex. 7–12
- Joshua 24:5 : Ex. 12:37, 51
- Joshua 24:6 : [See ver. 5 above]; Ex. 12:37, 51
- Joshua 24:6 : Ex. 14:2
- Joshua 24:6 : Ex. 14:9
- Joshua 24:7 : Ex. 14:10
- Joshua 24:7 : Ex. 14:20
- Joshua 24:7 : Ex. 14:27, 28
- Joshua 24:7 : Deut. 4:34; 29:2
- Joshua 24:7 : See ch. 5:6
- Joshua 24:8 : See Num. 21:21-35
- Joshua 24:9 : [Judg. 11:25]
- Joshua 24:9 : Num. 22:5; Deut. 23:4
- Joshua 24:10 : Num. 23:11, 20; 24:1, 10
- Joshua 24:10 : Num. 23:11, 20; 24:1, 10
- Joshua 24:11 : ch. 3:14, 17; 4:10-13
- Joshua 24:11 : ch. 6:1; See ch. 10:1-3; 11:1-3
- Joshua 24:11 : ch. 6:1; See ch. 10:1-3; 11:1-3
- Joshua 24:12 : Ex. 23:28; Deut. 7:20
- Joshua 24:12 : Ps. 44:3
- Joshua 24:13 : Deut. 6:10, 11; [ch. 11:13]
- Joshua 24:14 : Deut. 10:12; 1 Sam. 12:24
- Joshua 24:14 : ver. 2, 23
- Joshua 24:15 : 1 Kgs. 18:21; Ezek. 20:39
- Joshua 24:15 : ver. 22
- Joshua 24:15 : [See ver. 14 above]; ver. 2, 23
- Joshua 24:15 : Ex. 23:24, 32, 33; 34:15; Deut. 13:7; 29:18; Judg. 6:10
- Joshua 24:15 : Gen. 18:19
- Joshua 24:19 : Lev. 19:2; 1 Sam. 6:20; Ps. 99:5, 9; Isa. 5:16
- Joshua 24:19 : Ex. 20:5; Nah. 1:2
- Joshua 24:19 : Ex. 23:21
- Joshua 24:20 : [1 Chr. 28:9; 2 Chr. 15:2; Ezra 8:22; Isa. 1:28; 65:11, 12; Jer. 17:13]
- Joshua 24:20 : ch. 23:15; Isa. 63:10; [Acts 7:42]
- Joshua 24:22 : ver. 15
- Joshua 24:23 : ver. 14; Judg. 10:16; 1 Sam. 7:3
- Joshua 24:25 : 2 Kgs. 11:17; 2 Chr. 23:16; Neh. 9:38
- Joshua 24:25 : Ex. 15:25
- Joshua 24:26 : Deut. 31:24
- Joshua 24:26 : [ch. 4:3; Gen. 28:18]
- Joshua 24:26 : Gen. 35:4; Judg. 9:6
- Joshua 24:27 : ch. 22:27, 28, 34; Gen. 31:48, 52; Deut. 31:19, 21, 26
- Joshua 24:27 : [Deut. 32:1]
- Joshua 24:28 : Judg. 2:6
- Joshua 24:29 : For ver. 29-31, see Judg. 2:7-9
- Joshua 24:30 : [ch. 19:50]
- Joshua 24:31 : Judg. 2:7
- Joshua 24:31 : Deut. 11:2; 31:13
- Joshua 24:32 : Gen. 50:25; Ex. 13:19
- Joshua 24:32 : Gen. 33:19
- Joshua 24:33 : ch. 22:13
- Joshua 24:33 : ver. 30; ch. 17:15
The Widow's Offering
21 (A)Jesus[a] looked up and saw the rich (B)putting their gifts into (C)the offering box, 2 and he saw a poor widow put in two (D)small copper coins.[b] 3 And he said, “Truly, I tell you, (E)this poor widow has put in more than all of them. 4 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her (F)poverty put in all (G)she had to live on.”
Jesus Foretells Destruction of the Temple
5 (H)And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, he said, 6 “As for these things that you see, (I)the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” 7 And they asked him, “Teacher, (J)when will these things be, and what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?” 8 And he said, (K)“See that you are not led astray. For (L)many will come in my name, saying, (M)‘I am he!’ and, (N)‘The time is at hand!’ Do not go after them. 9 And when you hear of wars and tumults, do not be (O)terrified, for these things (P)must first take place, but the end will not be at once.”
Jesus Foretells Wars and Persecution
10 Then he said to them, (Q)“Nation will rise against nation, and (R)kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great (S)earthquakes, and in various places (T)famines and pestilences. And there will be (U)terrors and great (V)signs from heaven. 12 But before all this (W)they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to (X)the synagogues and (Y)prisons, and you (Z)will be brought before (AA)kings and (AB)governors for my name's sake. 13 (AC)This will be your opportunity to bear witness. 14 Settle it therefore in your minds (AD)not to meditate beforehand how to answer, 15 for (AE)I will give you a mouth and (AF)wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or (AG)contradict. 16 You will be delivered up (AH)even by parents and brothers[c] and relatives and friends, and some of you they will put to death. 17 (AI)You will be hated by all for my name's sake. 18 But (AJ)not a hair of your head will perish. 19 By your (AK)endurance you will gain your lives.
Jesus Foretells Destruction of Jerusalem
20 “But (AL)when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that (AM)its desolation has come near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it, 22 for these are (AN)days of (AO)vengeance, to fulfill (AP)all that is written. 23 (AQ)Alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress upon the earth and (AR)wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the edge of the sword and (AS)be led captive among all nations, and (AT)Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, (AU)until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
The Coming of the Son of Man
25 “And (AV)there will be signs in sun and moon (AW)and stars, and on the earth (AX)distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, 26 people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For (AY)the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see (AZ)the Son of Man coming in a cloud (BA)with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and (BB)raise your heads, because (BC)your redemption is drawing near.”
- Luke 21:1 : For ver. 1-4, see Mark 12:41-44
- Luke 21:1 : 2 Kgs. 12:9
- Luke 21:1 : John 8:20 (Gk.)
- Luke 21:2 : ch. 12:59
- Luke 21:3 : [2 Cor. 8:2, 12]
- Luke 21:4 : [Phil. 4:11]
- Luke 21:4 : ch. 8:43
- Luke 21:5 : For ver. 5-36, see Matt. 24:1-51; Mark 13:1-37
- Luke 21:6 : ch. 19:43, 44; See ch. 17:22
- Luke 21:7 : [Acts 1:6, 7]
- Luke 21:8 : Jer. 29:8; Eph. 5:6; Col. 2:8; 2 Thess. 2:3; 1 John 3:7
- Luke 21:8 : Jer. 14:14; 1 John 2:18
- Luke 21:8 : See John 8:24
- Luke 21:8 : [Matt. 3:2; 4:17; Mark 1:15]
- Luke 21:9 : ch. 24:37
- Luke 21:9 : Rev. 1:1
- Luke 21:10 : 2 Chr. 15:6; [Rev. 6:4]
- Luke 21:10 : Isa. 19:2
- Luke 21:11 : Rev. 6:12
- Luke 21:11 : Acts 11:28; Rev. 6:8
- Luke 21:11 : Isa. 19:17
- Luke 21:11 : ch. 11:16; Matt. 16:1; Mark 8:11; [ver. 25; Rev. 12:1, 3; 13:13; 15:1]
- Luke 21:12 : For ver. 12-17, [Matt. 10:17-22]
- Luke 21:12 : Acts 22:19; 26:11
- Luke 21:12 : Acts 4:3; 5:18; 8:3; 12:4; 16:24; 24:27; 2 Cor. 11:23
- Luke 21:12 : See Acts 16:19
- Luke 21:12 : [Acts 27:24]
- Luke 21:12 : Acts 17:6; 18:12; 24:1; 25:6
- Luke 21:13 : [Phil. 1:13, 14, 19]
- Luke 21:14 : ch. 12:11
- Luke 21:15 : [Ex. 4:12; Jer. 1:9]
- Luke 21:15 : Acts 6:10
- Luke 21:15 : [Acts 4:14]
- Luke 21:16 : [ch. 12:53; Matt. 10:35]
- Luke 21:17 : John 15:18-21; [ch. 6:22]
- Luke 21:18 : [ver. 16; John 10:28]; See 1 Sam. 14:45
- Luke 21:19 : Rom. 5:3; [Matt. 10:22; 24:13]; See Heb. 10:36
- Luke 21:20 : See ch. 19:43
- Luke 21:20 : Dan. 9:27
- Luke 21:22 : Isa. 34:8; 63:4; Hos. 9:7
- Luke 21:22 : [ch. 18:7, 8]
- Luke 21:22 : See Matt. 1:22
- Luke 21:23 : ch. 23:29
- Luke 21:23 : 1 Thess. 2:16
- Luke 21:24 : [Deut. 28:64]
- Luke 21:24 : Rev. 11:2; [Ps. 79:1; Isa. 63:3, 18; Dan. 8:13; Zech. 12:3]
- Luke 21:24 : [Dan. 12:7; Rom. 11:25]
- Luke 21:25 : Isa. 13:10; 24:23; Ezek. 32:7; Joel 2:10, 31; 3:15; Acts 2:20; [Amos 5:20; 8:9; Zeph. 1:15; Rev. 6:12; 8:12]
- Luke 21:25 : Rev. 6:13; [Isa. 14:12; 34:4]
- Luke 21:25 : [Ps. 65:7]
- Luke 21:26 : [Isa. 34:4]
- Luke 21:27 : See Dan. 7:13
- Luke 21:27 : Matt. 26:64; Mark 9:1; [Matt. 25:31]
- Luke 21:28 : Job 10:15
- Luke 21:28 : Rom. 8:23; Eph. 4:30; [Rom. 13:11]; See ch. 1:68
38 But now you have (A)cast off and rejected;
you are full of wrath against your (B)anointed.
39 You have (C)renounced (D)the covenant with your servant;
you have (E)defiled his (F)crown in the dust.
40 You have (G)breached all his walls;
you have laid his strongholds in ruins.
41 (H)All who pass by plunder him;
he has become (I)the scorn of his neighbors.
42 You have exalted the right hand of his foes;
you have made all his enemies rejoice.
43 You have also turned back the edge of his sword,
and you have not made him stand in battle.
44 You have made his splendor to cease
and cast his throne to the ground.
45 You have cut short (J)the days of his youth;
you have (K)covered him with shame. Selah
46 (L)How long, O Lord? Will you hide yourself forever?
How long will your wrath (M)burn like fire?
47 (N)Remember (O)how short my (P)time is!
For what vanity you have created all the children of man!
48 (Q)What man can live and never (R)see death?
Who can deliver his soul from the power of (S)Sheol? Selah
49 Lord, where is your (T)steadfast love of old,
which by your (U)faithfulness you swore to David?
50 (V)Remember, O Lord, how your servants are mocked,
and how I bear in my (W)heart the insults[a] of all the many nations,
51 with which your enemies mock, O Lord,
with which they mock (X)the footsteps of your (Y)anointed.
52 (Z)Blessed be the Lord forever!
Amen and Amen.
- Psalm 89:50 Hebrew lacks the insults
- Psalm 89:38 : See Ps. 44:9
- Psalm 89:38 : ver. 20, 51
- Psalm 89:39 : Lam. 2:7
- Psalm 89:39 : See ver. 3
- Psalm 89:39 : See Ps. 74:7
- Psalm 89:39 : Job 19:9
- Psalm 89:40 : See Ps. 80:12
- Psalm 89:41 : [See ver. 40 above]; See Ps. 80:12
- Psalm 89:41 : [ver. 50]; See Ps. 44:13; 69:9, 19
- Psalm 89:45 : Ps. 102:23
- Psalm 89:45 : Ps. 71:13; 109:29
- Psalm 89:46 : See Ps. 13:1
- Psalm 89:46 : Ps. 78:63; 79:5
- Psalm 89:47 : Job 7:7; 10:9
- Psalm 89:47 : [Job 14:1]
- Psalm 89:47 : Ps. 39:5
- Psalm 89:48 : [Ps. 49:9]
- Psalm 89:48 : [Luke 2:26; Heb. 11:5]
- Psalm 89:48 : See Ps. 16:10
- Psalm 89:49 : [ver. 1, 2]
- Psalm 89:49 : [ver. 1, 2]
- Psalm 89:50 : [ver. 41]; See Ps. 74:18, 22
- Psalm 89:50 : Ps. 79:12
- Psalm 89:51 : [Ps. 17:11; 56:6]
- Psalm 89:51 : ver. 20, 38
- Psalm 89:52 : See Ps. 41:13
20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise,
but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
21 (A)Disaster[a] pursues sinners,
(B)but the righteous are rewarded with good.
22 (C)A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children,
but (D)the sinner's wealth is laid up for the righteous.
23 The fallow ground of the poor would yield much food,
but it is swept away through (E)injustice.
- Proverbs 13:21 Or Evil