The People Confess Their Sin
10 (A)While Ezra prayed and (B)made confession, weeping and (C)casting himself down (D)before the house of God, a very great assembly of men, women, and children, gathered to him out of Israel, for the people wept bitterly. 2 And Shecaniah the son of Jehiel, of the sons of Elam, addressed Ezra: (E)“We have broken faith with our God and have married foreign women from the peoples of the land, but even now there is hope for Israel in spite of this. 3 Therefore (F)let us make a covenant with our God to put away all these wives and (G)their children, according to the counsel of my lord[a] and of (H)those who tremble at the commandment of our God, and let it be done (I)according to the Law. 4 Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you; (J)be strong and do it.” 5 Then Ezra arose and made the leading priests and Levites and all Israel (K)take an oath that they would do as had been said. So they took the oath.
6 Then Ezra withdrew (L)from before the house of God and went to the (M)chamber of (N)Jehohanan the son of (O)Eliashib, where he spent the night,[b] neither (P)eating bread nor drinking water, for he was mourning over the faithlessness of the exiles. 7 And a proclamation was made throughout Judah and Jerusalem to all the returned exiles that they should assemble at Jerusalem, 8 and that if anyone did not come within three days, by order of the officials and the elders all his property should be forfeited, and he himself banned from the congregation of the exiles.
9 Then all the men of Judah and Benjamin assembled at Jerusalem within the three days. It was the ninth month, on the twentieth day of the month. And all the people sat in the open square before the house of God, trembling because of this matter and because of the (Q)heavy rain. 10 And Ezra the priest stood up and said to them, “You have broken faith and married foreign women, and so increased the guilt of Israel. 11 Now then (R)make confession to the Lord, the God of your fathers and do his will. (S)Separate yourselves from the peoples of the land and from the foreign wives.” 12 Then all the assembly answered with a loud voice, “It is so; we must do as you have said. 13 But the people are many, and it is a time of heavy rain; we cannot stand in the open. Nor is this a task for one day or for two, for we have greatly transgressed in this matter. 14 Let our officials stand for the whole assembly. Let all in our cities who have taken foreign wives come (T)at appointed times, and with them the elders and judges of every city, (U)until the fierce wrath of our God over this matter is turned away from us.” 15 Only Jonathan the son of Asahel and Jahzeiah the son of Tikvah opposed this, and (V)Meshullam and (W)Shabbethai the Levite supported them.
16 Then the returned exiles did so. Ezra the priest selected men,[c] heads of fathers' houses, according to their fathers' houses, each of them designated by name. On the first day of the tenth month they sat down to examine the matter; 17 and by the first day of the first month they had come to the end of all the men who had married foreign women.
Those Guilty of Intermarriage
18 Now there were found some of the sons of the priests who had married foreign women: Maaseiah, Eliezer, Jarib, and Gedaliah, some of the sons of (X)Jeshua the son of Jozadak and his brothers. 19 They (Y)pledged themselves to put away their wives, and their guilt offering was (Z)a ram of the flock for their guilt.[d] 20 (AA)Of the sons of Immer: Hanani and Zebadiah. 21 (AB)Of the sons of Harim: Maaseiah, Elijah, Shemaiah, Jehiel, and Uzziah. 22 Of the sons of Pashhur: Elioenai, Maaseiah, Ishmael, Nethanel, Jozabad, and Elasah.
23 Of the Levites: Jozabad, Shimei, Kelaiah (that is, Kelita), Pethahiah, Judah, and Eliezer. 24 Of the singers: Eliashib. Of the gatekeepers: Shallum, Telem, and Uri.
25 And of Israel: of the sons of Parosh: Ramiah, Izziah, Malchijah, Mijamin, Eleazar, Hashabiah,[e] and Benaiah. 26 Of the sons of Elam: Mattaniah, Zechariah, Jehiel, Abdi, Jeremoth, and Elijah. 27 Of the sons of Zattu: Elioenai, Eliashib, Mattaniah, Jeremoth, Zabad, and Aziza. 28 Of the sons of Bebai were Jehohanan, Hananiah, Zabbai, and Athlai. 29 Of the sons of Bani were Meshullam, Malluch, Adaiah, Jashub, Sheal, and Jeremoth. 30 Of the sons of Pahath-moab: Adna, Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattaniah, Bezalel, Binnui, and Manasseh. 31 Of the (AC)sons of Harim: Eliezer, Isshijah, Malchijah, Shemaiah, Shimeon, 32 Benjamin, Malluch, and Shemariah. 33 Of the sons of Hashum: Mattenai, Mattattah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Manasseh, and Shimei. 34 Of the sons of (AD)Bani: Maadai, Amram, Uel, 35 Benaiah, Bedeiah, Cheluhi, 36 Vaniah, Meremoth, Eliashib, 37 Mattaniah, Mattenai, Jaasu. 38 Of the sons of Binnui:[f] Shimei, 39 Shelemiah, Nathan, Adaiah, 40 Machnadebai, Shashai, Sharai, 41 Azarel, Shelemiah, Shemariah, 42 Shallum, Amariah, and Joseph. 43 Of the sons of Nebo: Jeiel, Mattithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jaddai, Joel, and Benaiah. 44 All these had married foreign women, and some of the women (AE)had even borne children.[g]
- Ezra 10:3 Or of the Lord
- Ezra 10:6 Probable reading; Hebrew where he went
- Ezra 10:16 Syriac; Hebrew And there were selected Ezra…
- Ezra 10:19 Or as their reparation
- Ezra 10:25 Septuagint; Hebrew Malchijah
- Ezra 10:38 Septuagint; Hebrew Bani, Binnui
- Ezra 10:44 Or and they put them away with their children
- Ezra 10:1 : Neh. 1:4, 5
- Ezra 10:1 : Neh. 1:6; Dan. 9:20
- Ezra 10:1 : Deut. 9:18
- Ezra 10:1 : [2 Chr. 20:9]
- Ezra 10:2 : See ch. 9:2
- Ezra 10:3 : 2 Chr. 34:31
- Ezra 10:3 : [ver. 44]
- Ezra 10:3 : ch. 9:4
- Ezra 10:3 : Deut. 7:2, 3
- Ezra 10:4 : 1 Chr. 28:10; [2 Chr. 19:11]
- Ezra 10:5 : Neh. 5:12; 13:25
- Ezra 10:6 : ver. 1
- Ezra 10:6 : ch. 8:29
- Ezra 10:6 : Neh. 12:22, 23
- Ezra 10:6 : Neh. 3:1
- Ezra 10:6 : Deut. 9:18
- Ezra 10:9 : [1 Sam. 12:18]
- Ezra 10:11 : [Josh. 7:19]
- Ezra 10:11 : ver. 3
- Ezra 10:14 : Neh. 13:31
- Ezra 10:14 : 2 Chr. 29:10; 30:8; [Num. 25:4]
- Ezra 10:15 : ch. 8:16
- Ezra 10:15 : Neh. 11:16
- Ezra 10:18 : ch. 3:2
- Ezra 10:19 : See 2 Kgs. 10:15
- Ezra 10:19 : Lev. 6:6
- Ezra 10:20 : For ver. 20-43, see ch. 2:3-42
- Ezra 10:21 : [ver. 31]
- Ezra 10:31 : ver. 21
- Ezra 10:34 : [ver. 29]
- Ezra 10:44 : [ver. 3]
1 Corinthians 6
Lawsuits Against Believers
6 When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous (A)instead of the saints? 2 Or do you not know that (B)the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! 4 So if you have such cases, (C)why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? 5 (D)I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers, 6 but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers? 7 To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. (E)Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even (F)your own brothers![a]
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous[b] will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: (G)neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,[c] 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And (H)such were some of you. But (I)you were washed, (J)you were sanctified, (K)you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Flee Sexual Immorality
12 (L)“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 13 (M)“Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one (N)and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but (O)for the Lord, and (P)the Lord for the body. 14 And (Q)God raised the Lord and (R)will also raise us up (S)by his power. 15 Do you not know that (T)your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined[d] to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, (U)“The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord (V)becomes one spirit with him. 18 (W)Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin[e] a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person (X)sins against his own body. 19 Or (Y)do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? (Z)You are not your own, 20 (AA)for you were bought with a price. (AB)So glorify God in your body.
- 1 Corinthians 6:8 Or brothers and sisters
- 1 Corinthians 6:9 Or wrongdoers
- 1 Corinthians 6:9 The two Greek terms translated by this phrase refer to the passive and active partners in consensual homosexual acts
- 1 Corinthians 6:16 Or who holds fast (compare Genesis 2:24 and Deuteronomy 10:20); also verse 17
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 Or Every sin
- 1 Corinthians 6:1 : [Matt. 18:17]
- 1 Corinthians 6:2 : Dan. 7:22; [Matt. 19:28; Rev. 20:4]
- 1 Corinthians 6:4 : [ch. 5:12]
- 1 Corinthians 6:5 : ch. 15:34; [ch. 4:14]
- 1 Corinthians 6:7 : [Matt. 5:39, 40]
- 1 Corinthians 6:8 : 1 Thess. 4:6
- 1 Corinthians 6:9 : ch. 15:50; Gal. 5:21; Eph. 5:5; 1 Tim. 1:9; Heb. 12:14; 13:4; Rev. 21:8; 22:15
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 : ch. 12:2; Eph. 2:2, 3; 4:22; 5:8; Col. 3:7; Titus 3:3
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 : Acts 22:16; Heb. 10:22; [Titus 3:5]
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 : See ch. 1:2
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 : Rom. 8:30
- 1 Corinthians 6:12 : ch. 10:23
- 1 Corinthians 6:13 : [Matt. 15:17]
- 1 Corinthians 6:13 : Col. 2:22
- 1 Corinthians 6:13 : ver. 15, 19
- 1 Corinthians 6:13 : [Eph. 5:23]
- 1 Corinthians 6:14 : See Acts 2:24
- 1 Corinthians 6:14 : ch. 15:22, 23; [John 6:39, 40]
- 1 Corinthians 6:14 : Matt. 22:29; [Eph. 1:19, 20]
- 1 Corinthians 6:15 : ver. 13; Eph. 5:30; [ch. 12:27; Rom. 12:5]
- 1 Corinthians 6:16 : Matt. 19:5; Mark 10:8; Eph. 5:31; Cited from Gen. 2:24
- 1 Corinthians 6:17 : Eph. 4:4; [John 17:21-23]
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 : 2 Cor. 12:21; Eph. 5:3
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 : [Prov. 5:11]
- 1 Corinthians 6:19 : [John 2:21]; See ch. 3:16
- 1 Corinthians 6:19 : See Rom. 14:7
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 : ch. 7:23; [Acts 20:28; Heb. 9:12, 14]; See 2 Pet. 2:1
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 : [Phil. 1:20]
9 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am (A)in distress;
(B)my eye is wasted from grief;
my soul and my body also.
10 For my life is spent with sorrow,
and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my iniquity,
and (C)my bones waste away.
11 Because of all my adversaries I have become (D)a reproach,
especially to my (E)neighbors,
and an object of dread to my acquaintances;
those who see me in the street (F)flee from me.
12 I have been (G)forgotten like one who is dead;
I have become like (H)a broken vessel.
13 For I (I)hear the whispering of many—
terror on every side!—
(J)as they scheme together against me,
as they plot to take my life.
14 But I (K)trust in you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15 My (L)times are in your hand;
(M)rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!
16 (N)Make your face shine on your servant;
save me in your steadfast love!
17 O Lord, (O)let me not be put to shame,
for I call upon you;
let the wicked be put to shame;
let them go (P)silently to Sheol.
18 Let the lying lips be mute,
which (Q)speak (R)insolently against the righteous
in pride and contempt.
- Psalm 31:9 : Ps. 66:14
- Psalm 31:9 : See Ps. 6:7
- Psalm 31:10 : Ps. 6:2; 32:3; 38:3; 102:3
- Psalm 31:11 : [Ps. 41:7, 8; Isa. 53:3]
- Psalm 31:11 : See Job 19:13, 14
- Psalm 31:11 : [Matt. 26:56; Mark 14:50]
- Psalm 31:12 : Ps. 88:5; Eccles. 9:5
- Psalm 31:12 : Isa. 30:14
- Psalm 31:13 : Jer. 20:10
- Psalm 31:13 : [Matt. 27:1]; See 2 Sam. 17:1-4
- Psalm 31:14 : ver. 1, 6
- Psalm 31:15 : 1 Chr. 29:30; Job 24:1
- Psalm 31:15 : Ps. 7:1
- Psalm 31:16 : See Ps. 4:6
- Psalm 31:17 : ver. 1
- Psalm 31:17 : 1 Sam. 2:9; [Ps. 94:17; 115:17]
- Psalm 31:18 : [Jude 15]
- Psalm 31:18 : Ps. 17:10