Joshua to Succeed Moses
31 So Moses continued to speak these words to all Israel. 2 And he said to them, “I am (A)120 years old today. I am no longer able to (B)go out and come in. The Lord has said to me, (C)‘You shall not go over this Jordan.’ 3 The Lord your God (D)himself will go over before you. He will destroy these nations before you, so that you shall dispossess them, and Joshua will go over at your head, (E)as the Lord has spoken. 4 And the Lord will do to them (F)as he did to Sihon (G)and Og, the kings of the Amorites, and to their land, when he destroyed them. 5 And the Lord will give them over to you, and you shall do to them (H)according to the whole commandment that I have commanded you. 6 (I)Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, (J)for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. (K)He will not leave you or forsake you.”
7 Then (L)Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel, (M)“Be strong and courageous, for you shall go with this people into the land that the Lord has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall put them in possession of it. 8 It is the Lord (N)who goes before you. He will be with you; (O)he will not leave you or forsake you. (P)Do not fear or be dismayed.”
The Reading of the Law
9 Then Moses (Q)wrote this law and gave it to the priests, the sons of Levi, (R)who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and to all the elders of Israel. 10 And Moses commanded them, (S)“At the end of every seven years, at the set time in the year of release, at (T)the Feast of Booths, 11 when all Israel comes (U)to appear before the Lord your God at the place that he will choose, (V)you shall read this law before all Israel in their hearing. 12 (W)Assemble the people, men, women, and little ones, and the sojourner within your towns, that they may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God, and be careful to do all the words of this law, 13 and that their children, (X)who have not known it, (Y)may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God, (Z)as long as you live in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”
Joshua Commissioned to Lead Israel
14 And the Lord said to Moses, (AA)“Behold, the days approach when you must die. Call Joshua and present yourselves in the tent of meeting, that (AB)I may commission him.” And Moses and Joshua went and presented themselves in the tent of meeting. 15 And (AC)the Lord appeared in the tent in a pillar of cloud. And the pillar of cloud stood over the entrance of the tent.
16 And the Lord said to Moses, (AD)“Behold, you are about to lie down with your fathers. Then this people will rise and (AE)whore after the foreign gods among them in the land that they are entering, and they will (AF)forsake me and (AG)break my covenant that I have made with them. 17 Then my anger will be kindled against them in that day, and (AH)I will forsake them and (AI)hide my face from them, and they will be devoured. And many evils and troubles will come upon them, so that they will say in that day, (AJ)‘Have not these evils come upon us because (AK)our God is not among us?’ 18 And I will surely hide my face in that day because of all the evil that they have done, because (AL)they have turned to other gods.
19 “Now therefore write (AM)this song and (AN)teach it to the people of Israel. Put it in their mouths, that this song may be (AO)a witness for me against the people of Israel. 20 For when I have brought them into the land (AP)flowing with milk and honey, which I swore to give to their fathers, and they have eaten and are full and (AQ)grown fat, (AR)they will turn to other gods and serve them, and (AS)despise me and (AT)break my covenant. 21 And when many evils and troubles have come upon them, this song shall confront them as (AU)a witness (for it will live unforgotten in the mouths of their offspring). For (AV)I know what they are inclined to do even today, before I have brought them into the land that I swore to give.” 22 So Moses wrote this song the same day and taught it to the people of Israel.
23 (AW)And the Lord[a] commissioned Joshua the son of Nun and said, (AX)“Be strong and courageous, for you shall bring the people of Israel into the land that I swore to give them. (AY)I will be with you.”
24 When Moses had finished (AZ)writing the words of this law in a book to the very end, 25 Moses commanded (BA)the Levites who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord, 26 “Take this Book of the Law (BB)and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for (BC)a witness against you. 27 For I know how rebellious and (BD)stubborn you are. Behold, even today while I am yet alive with you, (BE)you have been rebellious against the Lord. How much more after my death! 28 Assemble to me all the elders of your tribes and your officers, that I may speak (BF)these words in their ears and (BG)call heaven and earth to witness against them. 29 For I know that after my death (BH)you will surely act corruptly and turn aside from the way that I have commanded you. And (BI)in the days to come (BJ)evil will befall you, because you will do what is evil in the sight of the Lord, (BK)provoking him to anger through the work of your hands.”
The Song of Moses
30 Then Moses spoke the words of this song until they were finished, in the ears of all the assembly of Israel:
32 “Give ear, (BL)O heavens, and I will speak,
and let (BM)the earth hear the words of my mouth.
2 May (BN)my teaching drop as the rain,
my speech distill as the dew,
like gentle rain upon the tender grass,
and (BO)like showers upon the herb.
3 For I will proclaim the name of the Lord;
ascribe (BP)greatness to our God!
4 (BQ)“The Rock, (BR)his work is perfect,
for (BS)all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and (BT)without iniquity,
just and upright is he.
5 They have dealt corruptly with him;
they are no longer his children (BU)because they are blemished;
they are (BV)a crooked and twisted generation.
6 Do you thus repay the Lord,
you foolish and senseless people?
Is not he (BW)your father, who (BX)created you,
who (BY)made you and established you?
7 (BZ)Remember the days of old;
consider the years of many generations;
(CA)ask your father, and he will show you,
your elders, and they will tell you.
8 When the Most High (CB)gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he (CC)divided mankind,
he fixed the borders[b] of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.[c]
9 But the Lord's portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
10 “He found him (CD)in a desert land,
and in the howling waste of the wilderness;
he (CE)encircled him, he cared for him,
he (CF)kept him as the apple of his eye.
11 (CG)Like an eagle that stirs up its nest,
that flutters over its young,
spreading out its wings, catching them,
bearing them on its pinions,
12 (CH)the Lord alone guided him,
(CI)no foreign god was with him.
13 (CJ)He made him ride on the high places of the land,
and he ate the produce of the field,
and he suckled him with (CK)honey out of the rock,
and (CL)oil out of (CM)the flinty rock.
14 Curds from the herd, and milk from the flock,
with fat[d] of lambs,
rams of Bashan and goats,
with the very finest[e] of the wheat—
and you drank foaming wine made from (CN)the blood of the grape.
15 “But (CO)Jeshurun grew fat, and (CP)kicked;
(CQ)you grew fat, stout, and sleek;
(CR)then he forsook God (CS)who made him
and scoffed at (CT)the Rock of his salvation.
16 (CU)They stirred him to jealousy with strange gods;
with abominations they provoked him to anger.
17 (CV)They sacrificed to demons that were no gods,
to gods they had never known,
to (CW)new gods that had come recently,
whom your fathers had never dreaded.
18 You were unmindful of (CX)the Rock that bore[f] you,
and you (CY)forgot the God who gave you birth.
19 (CZ)“The Lord saw it and spurned them,
because of the provocation of (DA)his sons and his daughters.
20 And he said, (DB)‘I will hide my face from them;
I will see what their end will be,
for they are a perverse generation,
children in whom is no faithfulness.
21 (DC)They have made me jealous with what is no god;
they have provoked me to anger (DD)with their idols.
So (DE)I will make them jealous with those who are no people;
I will provoke them to anger with (DF)a foolish nation.
22 For (DG)a fire is kindled by my anger,
and it burns to (DH)the depths of Sheol,
devours the earth and its increase,
and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.
23 “‘And I will heap disasters upon them;
(DI)I will spend my arrows on them;
24 they shall be wasted with hunger,
and devoured by plague
and poisonous pestilence;
I will send (DJ)the teeth of beasts against them,
with the venom of (DK)things that crawl in the dust.
25 (DL)Outdoors the sword shall bereave,
and indoors terror,
for young man and woman alike,
the nursing child with the man of gray hairs.
26 (DM)I would have said, “I will cut them to pieces;
(DN)I will wipe them from human memory,”
27 had I not feared provocation by the enemy,
lest their adversaries should misunderstand,
lest they should say, (DO)“Our hand is triumphant,
it was not the Lord who did all this.”’
- Deuteronomy 31:2 : ch. 34:7; [Ex. 7:7]
- Deuteronomy 31:2 : See Num. 27:17
- Deuteronomy 31:2 : ch. 3:27; See ch. 1:37
- Deuteronomy 31:3 : ch. 9:3
- Deuteronomy 31:3 : ch. 1:38; 3:28; Num. 27:18, 21
- Deuteronomy 31:4 : See ch. 2:31-35; Num. 21:21-25
- Deuteronomy 31:4 : See ch. 3:1-7; Num. 21:33-35
- Deuteronomy 31:5 : See ch. 7:2
- Deuteronomy 31:6 : ver. 23; Josh. 1:6, 7; 10:25; 1 Chr. 22:13; 28:20
- Deuteronomy 31:6 : See ch. 20:4
- Deuteronomy 31:6 : Josh. 1:5
- Deuteronomy 31:7 : [ch. 3:28]
- Deuteronomy 31:7 : [See ver. 6 above]; ver. 23; Josh. 1:6, 7; 10:25; 1 Chr. 22:13; 28:20
- Deuteronomy 31:8 : See Ex. 13:21
- Deuteronomy 31:8 : [See ver. 6 above]; Josh. 1:5
- Deuteronomy 31:8 : ch. 1:21; 7:18; Josh. 1:9; 8:1; 10:25
- Deuteronomy 31:9 : [ch. 17:18]
- Deuteronomy 31:9 : Num. 4:15; Josh. 3:3; 8:33; 1 Chr. 15:15
- Deuteronomy 31:10 : See ch. 15:1
- Deuteronomy 31:10 : See Lev. 23:34
- Deuteronomy 31:11 : ch. 16:16; Ex. 23:14, 17; 34:23
- Deuteronomy 31:11 : Josh. 8:34, 35; 2 Kgs. 23:2; See Neh. 8:1-3
- Deuteronomy 31:12 : ch. 4:10
- Deuteronomy 31:13 : ch. 11:2
- Deuteronomy 31:13 : Ps. 78:5, 6
- Deuteronomy 31:13 : See ch. 4:10
- Deuteronomy 31:14 : [ch. 34:5; Num. 27:13]
- Deuteronomy 31:14 : [ver. 23; Num. 27:19]
- Deuteronomy 31:15 : Ex. 33:9; Num. 12:5
- Deuteronomy 31:16 : [See ver. 14 above]; [ch. 34:5; Num. 27:13]
- Deuteronomy 31:16 : Ex. 34:15, 16; Lev. 20:5; Num. 15:39
- Deuteronomy 31:16 : ch. 32:15; Judg. 2:12; 10:6, 13
- Deuteronomy 31:16 : Judg. 2:20
- Deuteronomy 31:17 : 2 Chr. 12:5; 15:2; 24:20
- Deuteronomy 31:17 : ch. 32:20; Ps. 30:7; 104:29; Isa. 8:17; 64:7; [Isa. 59:2]
- Deuteronomy 31:17 : Judg. 6:13
- Deuteronomy 31:17 : Num. 14:42
- Deuteronomy 31:18 : ver. 20
- Deuteronomy 31:19 : See ch. 32:1-43
- Deuteronomy 31:19 : [2 Sam. 1:18]
- Deuteronomy 31:19 : ver. 21, 26
- Deuteronomy 31:20 : See Ex. 3:8
- Deuteronomy 31:20 : ch. 32:15; Neh. 9:25, 26; Jer. 5:28; Hos. 13:6
- Deuteronomy 31:20 : ver. 18
- Deuteronomy 31:20 : Num. 14:11, 23; 16:30
- Deuteronomy 31:20 : [See ver. 16 above]; Judg. 2:20
- Deuteronomy 31:21 : ver. 19, 26
- Deuteronomy 31:21 : [Hos. 5:3; 13:5]
- Deuteronomy 31:23 : [ver. 14]
- Deuteronomy 31:23 : See ver. 6
- Deuteronomy 31:23 : ver. 8; Josh. 1:5; 3:7
- Deuteronomy 31:24 : ver. 9
- Deuteronomy 31:25 : See ver. 9
- Deuteronomy 31:26 : [2 Kgs. 22:8]
- Deuteronomy 31:26 : ver. 19, 21
- Deuteronomy 31:27 : See ch. 9:6
- Deuteronomy 31:27 : See ch. 9:7
- Deuteronomy 31:28 : See ch. 32:1-43
- Deuteronomy 31:28 : See ch. 4:26
- Deuteronomy 31:29 : Judg. 2:19; Hos. 9:9
- Deuteronomy 31:29 : See Gen. 49:1
- Deuteronomy 31:29 : [Jer. 44:23]
- Deuteronomy 31:29 : ch. 4:25; 9:18; 32:16, 21; 1 Kgs. 16:7; 2 Kgs. 22:17
- Deuteronomy 32:1 : Ps. 50:4; [Josh. 24:27]; See ch. 4:26
- Deuteronomy 32:1 : Isa. 34:1; Mic. 1:2; 6:1, 2
- Deuteronomy 32:2 : Isa. 55:10, 11; [Job 29:22, 23]
- Deuteronomy 32:2 : Ps. 72:6; Mic. 5:7
- Deuteronomy 32:3 : See ch. 3:24
- Deuteronomy 32:4 : ver. 15, 18, 30, 31, 37; Ps. 18:2, 31; Isa. 30:29; Hab. 1:12; See 2 Sam. 22:2
- Deuteronomy 32:4 : [Ps. 18:30]
- Deuteronomy 32:4 : Dan. 4:37; Rev. 15:3
- Deuteronomy 32:4 : Job 34:10
- Deuteronomy 32:5 : [2 Pet. 2:13]
- Deuteronomy 32:5 : Matt. 17:17; Luke 9:41; Phil. 2:15
- Deuteronomy 32:6 : Isa. 63:16; 64:8
- Deuteronomy 32:6 : Ps. 74:2
- Deuteronomy 32:6 : ver. 15; Isa. 44:2; 51:13
- Deuteronomy 32:7 : [Isa. 63:11]
- Deuteronomy 32:7 : Ps. 44:1
- Deuteronomy 32:8 : Acts 17:26
- Deuteronomy 32:8 : Gen. 11:8
- Deuteronomy 32:10 : ch. 8:15; Jer. 2:6; Hos. 13:5
- Deuteronomy 32:10 : Ps. 32:10
- Deuteronomy 32:10 : Ps. 17:8; Prov. 7:2; Zech. 2:8
- Deuteronomy 32:11 : Ex. 19:4
- Deuteronomy 32:12 : Ps. 78:52, 53
- Deuteronomy 32:12 : Isa. 43:12
- Deuteronomy 32:13 : Isa. 58:14; Ezek. 36:2
- Deuteronomy 32:13 : Ps. 81:16
- Deuteronomy 32:13 : Job 29:6
- Deuteronomy 32:13 : ch. 8:15
- Deuteronomy 32:14 : Gen. 49:11
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : ch. 33:5, 26; Isa. 44:2
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : [1 Sam. 2:29]
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : See ch. 31:20
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : ch. 31:16
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : ver. 6
- Deuteronomy 32:15 : 2 Sam. 22:47; Ps. 89:26; 95:1
- Deuteronomy 32:16 : Ps. 78:58; See Num. 25:11
- Deuteronomy 32:17 : Ps. 106:37; [1 Cor. 10:20]
- Deuteronomy 32:17 : [Judg. 5:8]
- Deuteronomy 32:18 : 2 Sam. 22:47; Ps. 89:26; 95:1
- Deuteronomy 32:18 : Isa. 17:10; Jer. 2:27, 32; Hos. 8:14
- Deuteronomy 32:19 : [Judg. 2:14]
- Deuteronomy 32:19 : [Isa. 1:2]
- Deuteronomy 32:20 : See ch. 31:17
- Deuteronomy 32:21 : Ps. 78:58; See Num. 25:11
- Deuteronomy 32:21 : 1 Kgs. 16:13, 26; Ps. 31:6; Jonah 2:8; Acts 14:15
- Deuteronomy 32:21 : Cited Rom. 10:19; [Hos. 1:9, 10]
- Deuteronomy 32:21 : [Ps. 74:18]
- Deuteronomy 32:22 : Jer. 15:14; 17:4; Lam. 4:11
- Deuteronomy 32:22 : Ps. 86:13
- Deuteronomy 32:23 : Job 6:4; Ps. 7:12, 13; 38:2; Lam. 3:12, 13; Ezek. 5:16
- Deuteronomy 32:24 : Lev. 26:22; Ezek. 5:17
- Deuteronomy 32:24 : Jer. 8:17; Mic. 7:17
- Deuteronomy 32:25 : Lam. 1:20; Ezek. 7:15
- Deuteronomy 32:26 : Ezek. 20:23
- Deuteronomy 32:26 : Job 18:17; Ps. 34:16; 109:15
- Deuteronomy 32:27 : Ps. 140:8; Isa. 10:13; [Num. 14:16]
Acknowledge Christ Before Men
8 “And I tell you, (A)everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge (B)before the angels of God, 9 but (C)the one who denies me before men (D)will be denied (E)before the angels of God. 10 And (F)everyone who speaks a word (G)against the Son of Man (H)will be forgiven, but the one who (I)blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11 (J)And when they (K)bring you before the synagogues and (L)the rulers and (M)the authorities, (N)do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, 12 (O)for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”
The Parable of the Rich Fool
13 (P)Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14 But he said to him, (Q)“Man, (R)who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 And he said to them, (S)“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” 16 And he told them a parable, saying, (T)“The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself, (U)‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my (V)barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up (W)for many years; relax, (X)eat, drink, be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, (Y)‘Fool! (Z)This night (AA)your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, (AB)whose will they be?’ 21 So is the one (AC)who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”
Do Not Be Anxious
22 And he said to his disciples, (AD)“Therefore I tell you, (AE)do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 (AF)Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. (AG)Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his (AH)span of life?[a] 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,[b] yet I tell you, (AI)even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, (AJ)O you of little faith! 29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor (AK)be worried. 30 For (AL)all the nations of the world seek after these things, and (AM)your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, (AN)seek (AO)his[c] kingdom, (AP)and these things will be added to you.
32 (AQ)“Fear not, little (AR)flock, for (AS)it is your Father's good pleasure to give you (AT)the kingdom. 33 (AU)Sell your possessions, and (AV)give to the needy. (AW)Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with (AX)a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34 (AY)For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- Luke 12:8 : [Rom. 10:9, 10; Heb. 10:35; Rev. 3:5]
- Luke 12:8 : [ch. 15:10; Matt. 25:31; 1 Tim. 5:21; Rev. 3:5]
- Luke 12:9 : 2 Tim. 2:12; 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:23; [Mark 8:38]
- Luke 12:9 : ch. 13:25; Matt. 7:23; 25:12
- Luke 12:9 : [See ver. 8 above]; [ch. 15:10; Matt. 25:31; 1 Tim. 5:21; Rev. 3:5]
- Luke 12:10 : [Matt. 12:31, 32; Mark 3:28-30; Heb. 6:4-6; 10:26; 1 John 5:16]
- Luke 12:10 : Matt. 11:19; John 7:12; 9:24
- Luke 12:10 : 1 Tim. 1:12, 13
- Luke 12:10 : [Acts 7:51; Heb. 10:29]
- Luke 12:11 : Matt. 10:17, 19; [ch. 21:12, 14; Mark 13:11]
- Luke 12:11 : See Matt. 23:34
- Luke 12:11 : Titus 3:1
- Luke 12:11 : Titus 3:1
- Luke 12:11 : See ver. 22
- Luke 12:12 : See Matt. 10:19, 20
- Luke 12:13 : ch. 11:27
- Luke 12:14 : Mic. 6:8; Rom. 2:1, 3; 9:20
- Luke 12:14 : [Ex. 2:14; Acts 7:27]
- Luke 12:15 : 1 Tim. 6:6-11; [Heb. 13:5]
- Luke 12:16 : [Ps. 49:16-20]
- Luke 12:17 : [Eccles. 5:10]
- Luke 12:18 : ver. 24
- Luke 12:19 : [Prov. 27:1; James 4:13-15]
- Luke 12:19 : Eccles. 2:24; 11:9; 1 Cor. 15:32; [ch. 15:23]
- Luke 12:20 : Jer. 17:11; [Matt. 16:26]
- Luke 12:20 : [See ver. 19 above]; [Prov. 27:1; James 4:13-15]
- Luke 12:20 : Job 27:8
- Luke 12:20 : Ps. 39:6; [Job 27:17-22; Eccles. 2:18, 21]
- Luke 12:21 : Matt. 6:19, 20
- Luke 12:22 : For ver. 22-31, see Matt. 6:25-33
- Luke 12:22 : ver. 11; ch. 10:41; Matt. 10:19; 13:22 (Gk.); 1 Cor. 7:32 (Gk.); Phil. 4:6; 1 Pet. 5:7
- Luke 12:24 : [Job 38:41; Ps. 147:9]
- Luke 12:24 : See ver. 7
- Luke 12:25 : ch. 2:52 (Gk.)
- Luke 12:27 : 1 Kgs. 10:4-7
- Luke 12:28 : Matt. 8:26; 14:31; 16:8; [ch. 17:6]
- Luke 12:29 : [James 1:6]
- Luke 12:30 : Matt. 6:8
- Luke 12:30 : Matt. 6:8
- Luke 12:31 : [Matt. 5:6, 20]
- Luke 12:31 : ch. 11:2
- Luke 12:31 : [1 Kgs. 3:11-14; Mark 10:29, 30; 1 Tim. 4:8; 1 Pet. 3:9]
- Luke 12:32 : Isa. 41:14; 44:2
- Luke 12:32 : Isa. 40:11; Matt. 26:31; John 10:16; 21:15-17; Acts 20:28, 29; 1 Pet. 5:2, 3
- Luke 12:32 : [ch. 10:21; Matt. 11:26; Eph. 1:5, 9; Phil. 2:13]
- Luke 12:32 : ch. 22:29; See Matt. 13:19
- Luke 12:33 : See Matt. 19:21
- Luke 12:33 : ch. 11:41
- Luke 12:33 : [ch. 16:9]
- Luke 12:33 : Matt. 6:20; [ver. 21; 1 Pet. 1:4]
- Luke 12:34 : Matt. 6:21
32 In spite of all this, they (A)still sinned;
(B)despite his wonders, they did not believe.
33 So he made (C)their days (D)vanish like[a] a breath,[b]
and their years in terror.
34 When he killed them, they (E)sought him;
they repented and sought God earnestly.
35 They remembered that God was their (F)rock,
the Most High God their (G)redeemer.
36 But they (H)flattered him with their mouths;
they (I)lied to him with their tongues.
37 Their (J)heart was not (K)steadfast toward him;
they were not faithful to his covenant.
38 Yet he, being (L)compassionate,
(M)atoned for their iniquity
and did not destroy them;
he restrained his anger often
and did not stir up all his wrath.
39 He (N)remembered that they were but (O)flesh,
(P)a wind that passes and comes not again.
40 How often they (Q)rebelled against him in the wilderness
and (R)grieved him in (S)the desert!
41 They (T)tested God again and again
and provoked (U)the Holy One of Israel.
42 They (V)did not remember his power[c]
or the day when he redeemed them from the foe,
43 (W)when he performed his (X)signs in Egypt
and his (Y)marvels in (Z)the fields of Zoan.
44 He (AA)turned their rivers to blood,
so that they could not drink of their streams.
45 He sent among them swarms of (AB)flies, which devoured them,
and (AC)frogs, which destroyed them.
46 He gave their crops to (AD)the destroying locust
and the fruit of their labor to the locust.
47 He destroyed their vines with (AE)hail
and their sycamores with frost.
48 He gave over their (AF)cattle to the hail
and their flocks to thunderbolts.
49 He let loose on them his burning anger,
wrath, indignation, and distress,
a company of (AG)destroying angels.
50 He made a path for his anger;
he did not spare them from death,
but gave their lives over to the plague.
51 He struck down every (AH)firstborn in Egypt,
the firstfruits of their strength in the tents of (AI)Ham.
52 Then he led out his people (AJ)like sheep
and guided them in the wilderness like a flock.
53 (AK)He led them in safety, so that they (AL)were not afraid,
but (AM)the sea overwhelmed their enemies.
54 And he brought them to his (AN)holy land,
(AO)to the mountain which his right hand had (AP)won.
55 He (AQ)drove out nations before them;
he (AR)apportioned them for a possession
and settled the tribes of Israel in their tents.
- Psalm 78:32 : See Num. 14; 16; 17
- Psalm 78:32 : ver. 22; Num. 14:11
- Psalm 78:33 : Num. 14:29, 35; 26:64, 65
- Psalm 78:33 : Ps. 39:5
- Psalm 78:34 : Hos. 5:15
- Psalm 78:35 : Deut. 32:4, 15, 31
- Psalm 78:35 : Ex. 15:13; See Ps. 74:2
- Psalm 78:36 : Isa. 29:13; Ezek. 33:31
- Psalm 78:36 : Isa. 57:11
- Psalm 78:37 : ver. 8
- Psalm 78:37 : Ps. 51:10
- Psalm 78:38 : Ex. 34:6
- Psalm 78:38 : Num. 14:20
- Psalm 78:39 : [Ps. 103:14; Job 10:9]
- Psalm 78:39 : Gen. 6:3
- Psalm 78:39 : Job 7:7
- Psalm 78:40 : ver. 17, 56; Ps. 107:11
- Psalm 78:40 : [Eph. 4:30]
- Psalm 78:40 : Ps. 106:14
- Psalm 78:41 : See ver. 18
- Psalm 78:41 : See Ps. 71:22
- Psalm 78:42 : Judg. 8:34
- Psalm 78:43 : For ver. 43-51, see Ps. 105:27-36
- Psalm 78:43 : Ex. 7:3; [Ps. 106:22]; Acts 7:36
- Psalm 78:43 : Ex. 4:21; 11:9, 10
- Psalm 78:43 : See ver. 12
- Psalm 78:44 : See Ex. 7:17-24
- Psalm 78:45 : See Ex. 8:21-24
- Psalm 78:45 : See Ex. 8:2-14
- Psalm 78:46 : See Ex. 10:12-15
- Psalm 78:47 : See Ex. 9:23-25
- Psalm 78:48 : See Ex. 9:19-21
- Psalm 78:49 : Ex. 12:13, 23; [2 Sam. 24:16]
- Psalm 78:51 : Ex. 12:29; [Ps. 105:36; 135:8; 136:10]
- Psalm 78:51 : Ps. 105:23, 27; 106:22
- Psalm 78:52 : See Ps. 77:20
- Psalm 78:53 : [Ex. 14:19, 20]
- Psalm 78:53 : [Ex. 14:13]
- Psalm 78:53 : Ex. 14:27, 28; 15:10
- Psalm 78:54 : Ex. 15:17
- Psalm 78:54 : Isa. 11:9; 57:13; [Ps. 68:16]
- Psalm 78:54 : Ps. 74:2
- Psalm 78:55 : See Ps. 44:2
- Psalm 78:55 : Josh. 23:4; [Ps. 135:12; 136:21, 22; Acts 13:19]
21 (A)No ill befalls the righteous,
but the wicked are filled with trouble.
22 (B)Lying lips are (C)an abomination to the Lord,
(D)but those who act faithfully are his delight.
23 (E)A prudent man conceals knowledge,
(F)but the heart of fools proclaims folly.