The River From the Temple
47 The man brought me back to the entrance to the temple, and I saw water(A) coming out from under the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east). The water was coming down from under the south side of the temple, south of the altar.(B) 2 He then brought me out through the north gate(C) and led me around the outside to the outer gate facing east, and the water was trickling from the south side.
3 As the man went eastward with a measuring line(D) in his hand, he measured off a thousand cubits[a] and then led me through water that was ankle-deep. 4 He measured off another thousand cubits and led me through water that was knee-deep. He measured off another thousand and led me through water that was up to the waist. 5 He measured off another thousand, but now it was a river(E) that I could not cross, because the water had risen and was deep enough to swim in—a river that no one could cross.(F) 6 He asked me, “Son of man, do you see this?”
Then he led me back to the bank of the river. 7 When I arrived there, I saw a great number of trees on each side of the river.(G) 8 He said to me, “This water flows toward the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah,[b](H) where it enters the Dead Sea. When it empties into the sea, the salty water there becomes fresh.(I) 9 Swarms of living creatures will live wherever the river flows. There will be large numbers of fish, because this water flows there and makes the salt water fresh; so where the river flows everything will live.(J) 10 Fishermen(K) will stand along the shore; from En Gedi(L) to En Eglaim there will be places for spreading nets.(M) The fish will be of many kinds(N)—like the fish of the Mediterranean Sea.(O) 11 But the swamps and marshes will not become fresh; they will be left for salt.(P) 12 Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river.(Q) Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit(R) fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary(S) flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing.(T)”
The Boundaries of the Land
13 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: “These are the boundaries(U) of the land that you will divide among the twelve tribes of Israel as their inheritance, with two portions for Joseph.(V) 14 You are to divide it equally among them. Because I swore with uplifted hand to give it to your ancestors, this land will become your inheritance.(W)
15 “This is to be the boundary of the land:(X)
“On the north side it will run from the Mediterranean Sea(Y) by the Hethlon road(Z) past Lebo Hamath to Zedad, 16 Berothah[c](AA) and Sibraim (which lies on the border between Damascus and Hamath),(AB) as far as Hazer Hattikon, which is on the border of Hauran. 17 The boundary will extend from the sea to Hazar Enan,[d] along the northern border of Damascus, with the border of Hamath to the north. This will be the northern boundary.(AC)
18 “On the east side the boundary will run between Hauran and Damascus, along the Jordan between Gilead and the land of Israel, to the Dead Sea and as far as Tamar.[e] This will be the eastern boundary.(AD)
21 “You are to distribute this land among yourselves according to the tribes of Israel. 22 You are to allot it as an inheritance(AJ) for yourselves and for the foreigners(AK) residing among you and who have children. You are to consider them as native-born Israelites; along with you they are to be allotted an inheritance among the tribes of Israel.(AL) 23 In whatever tribe a foreigner resides, there you are to give them their inheritance,” declares the Sovereign Lord.(AM)
The Division of the Land
48 “These are the tribes, listed by name: At the northern frontier, Dan(AN) will have one portion; it will follow the Hethlon road(AO) to Lebo Hamath;(AP) Hazar Enan and the northern border of Damascus next to Hamath will be part of its border from the east side to the west side.
2 “Asher(AQ) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Dan from east to west.
3 “Naphtali(AR) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Asher from east to west.
4 “Manasseh(AS) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Naphtali from east to west.
6 “Reuben(AW) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Ephraim from east to west.
7 “Judah(AX) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Reuben from east to west.
8 “Bordering the territory of Judah from east to west will be the portion you are to present as a special gift. It will be 25,000 cubits[f] wide, and its length from east to west will equal one of the tribal portions; the sanctuary will be in the center of it.(AY)
9 “The special portion you are to offer to the Lord will be 25,000 cubits long and 10,000 cubits[g] wide.(AZ) 10 This will be the sacred portion for the priests. It will be 25,000 cubits long on the north side, 10,000 cubits wide on the west side, 10,000 cubits wide on the east side and 25,000 cubits long on the south side. In the center of it will be the sanctuary of the Lord.(BA) 11 This will be for the consecrated priests, the Zadokites,(BB) who were faithful in serving me(BC) and did not go astray as the Levites did when the Israelites went astray.(BD) 12 It will be a special gift to them from the sacred portion of the land, a most holy portion, bordering the territory of the Levites.
13 “Alongside the territory of the priests, the Levites will have an allotment 25,000 cubits long and 10,000 cubits wide. Its total length will be 25,000 cubits and its width 10,000 cubits.(BE) 14 They must not sell or exchange any of it. This is the best of the land and must not pass into other hands, because it is holy to the Lord.(BF)
15 “The remaining area, 5,000 cubits[h] wide and 25,000 cubits long, will be for the common use of the city, for houses and for pastureland. The city will be in the center of it 16 and will have these measurements: the north side 4,500 cubits,[i] the south side 4,500 cubits, the east side 4,500 cubits, and the west side 4,500 cubits.(BG) 17 The pastureland for the city will be 250 cubits[j] on the north, 250 cubits on the south, 250 cubits on the east, and 250 cubits on the west. 18 What remains of the area, bordering on the sacred portion and running the length of it, will be 10,000 cubits on the east side and 10,000 cubits on the west side. Its produce will supply food for the workers of the city.(BH) 19 The workers from the city who farm it will come from all the tribes of Israel. 20 The entire portion will be a square, 25,000 cubits on each side. As a special gift you will set aside the sacred portion, along with the property of the city.
21 “What remains on both sides of the area formed by the sacred portion and the property of the city will belong to the prince. It will extend eastward from the 25,000 cubits of the sacred portion to the eastern border, and westward from the 25,000 cubits to the western border. Both these areas running the length of the tribal portions will belong to the prince, and the sacred portion with the temple sanctuary will be in the center of them.(BI) 22 So the property of the Levites and the property of the city will lie in the center of the area that belongs to the prince. The area belonging to the prince will lie between the border of Judah and the border of Benjamin.
23 “As for the rest of the tribes: Benjamin(BJ) will have one portion; it will extend from the east side to the west side.
24 “Simeon(BK) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Benjamin from east to west.
25 “Issachar(BL) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Simeon from east to west.
26 “Zebulun(BM) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Issachar from east to west.
27 “Gad(BN) will have one portion; it will border the territory of Zebulun from east to west.
29 “This is the land you are to allot as an inheritance to the tribes of Israel, and these will be their portions,” declares the Sovereign Lord.(BQ)
The Gates of the New City
30 “These will be the exits of the city: Beginning on the north side, which is 4,500 cubits long, 31 the gates of the city will be named after the tribes of Israel. The three gates on the north side will be the gate of Reuben, the gate of Judah and the gate of Levi.
32 “On the east side, which is 4,500 cubits long, will be three gates: the gate of Joseph, the gate of Benjamin and the gate of Dan.
33 “On the south side, which measures 4,500 cubits, will be three gates: the gate of Simeon, the gate of Issachar and the gate of Zebulun.
34 “On the west side, which is 4,500 cubits long, will be three gates: the gate of Gad, the gate of Asher and the gate of Naphtali.(BR)
35 “The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits.[k]
“And the name of the city from that time on will be:
the Lord is there.(BS)”
- Ezekiel 47:3 That is, about 1,700 feet or about 530 meters
- Ezekiel 47:8 Or the Jordan Valley
- Ezekiel 47:16 See Septuagint and 48:1; Hebrew road to go into Zedad, 16 Hamath, Berothah.
- Ezekiel 47:17 Hebrew Enon, a variant of Enan
- Ezekiel 47:18 See Syriac; Hebrew Israel. You will measure to the Dead Sea.
- Ezekiel 48:8 That is, about 8 miles or about 13 kilometers; also in verses 9, 10, 13, 15, 20 and 21
- Ezekiel 48:9 That is, about 3 1/3 miles or about 5.3 kilometers; also in verses 10, 13 and 18
- Ezekiel 48:15 That is, about 1 2/3 miles or about 2.7 kilometers
- Ezekiel 48:16 That is, about 1 1/2 miles or about 2.4 kilometers; also in verses 30, 32, 33 and 34
- Ezekiel 48:17 That is, about 440 feet or about 135 meters
- Ezekiel 48:35 That is, about 6 miles or about 9.5 kilometers
- Ezekiel 47:1 : S Isa 55:1
- Ezekiel 47:1 : Ps 46:4; Joel 3:18; Rev 22:1
- Ezekiel 47:2 : S Eze 40:35
- Ezekiel 47:3 : S Eze 40:3
- Ezekiel 47:5 : S Ge 2:10
- Ezekiel 47:5 : Isa 11:9; Hab 2:14
- Ezekiel 47:7 : ver 12; Rev 22:2
- Ezekiel 47:8 : S Dt 1:1; S 3:17
- Ezekiel 47:8 : Isa 41:18
- Ezekiel 47:9 : Isa 12:3; 55:1; Jn 4:14; 7:37-38
- Ezekiel 47:10 : S Isa 19:8; Mt 4:19
- Ezekiel 47:10 : S Jos 15:62
- Ezekiel 47:10 : Eze 26:5
- Ezekiel 47:10 : S Ps 104:25; Mt 13:47
- Ezekiel 47:10 : S Nu 34:6
- Ezekiel 47:11 : S Dt 29:23
- Ezekiel 47:12 : ver 7; Rev 22:2
- Ezekiel 47:12 : S Ps 1:3
- Ezekiel 47:12 : S Isa 55:1
- Ezekiel 47:12 : S Ge 2:9; S Jer 17:8; Eze 36:8
- Ezekiel 47:13 : Nu 34:2-12
- Ezekiel 47:13 : S Ge 48:16; S 49:26
- Ezekiel 47:14 : S Ge 12:7; S Dt 1:8; S Eze 36:12
- Ezekiel 47:15 : Nu 34:2
- Ezekiel 47:15 : ver 19; S Nu 34:6
- Ezekiel 47:15 : Eze 48:1
- Ezekiel 47:16 : 2Sa 8:8
- Ezekiel 47:16 : Nu 13:21; S Jer 49:23; Eze 48:1
- Ezekiel 47:17 : Eze 48:1
- Ezekiel 47:18 : S Eze 27:18
- Ezekiel 47:19 : Dt 32:51
- Ezekiel 47:19 : S Ge 15:18; Isa 27:12
- Ezekiel 47:19 : S ver 15; Eze 48:28
- Ezekiel 47:20 : S Nu 13:21; Eze 48:1
- Ezekiel 47:20 : Nu 34:6
- Ezekiel 47:22 : S Eze 36:12
- Ezekiel 47:22 : S Dt 24:19; S Isa 14:1; Mal 3:5
- Ezekiel 47:22 : S Lev 24:22; Nu 15:29; 26:55-56; Isa 56:6-7; Ro 10:12; Eph 2:12-16; 3:6; Col 3:11
- Ezekiel 47:23 : S Dt 10:19
- Ezekiel 48:1 : S Ge 30:6
- Ezekiel 48:1 : Eze 47:15-17
- Ezekiel 48:1 : S Eze 47:20
- Ezekiel 48:2 : Jos 19:24-31
- Ezekiel 48:3 : Jos 19:32-39
- Ezekiel 48:4 : Jos 17:1-11
- Ezekiel 48:5 : Jos 16:5-9
- Ezekiel 48:5 : Jos 17:7-10
- Ezekiel 48:5 : Jos 17:17
- Ezekiel 48:6 : Jos 13:15-21
- Ezekiel 48:7 : Jos 15:1-63
- Ezekiel 48:8 : ver 21
- Ezekiel 48:9 : S Eze 45:1
- Ezekiel 48:10 : ver 21; S Eze 45:3-4
- Ezekiel 48:11 : S 2Sa 8:17
- Ezekiel 48:11 : S Lev 8:35
- Ezekiel 48:11 : Eze 14:11; S 44:15
- Ezekiel 48:13 : Eze 45:5
- Ezekiel 48:14 : S Lev 25:34; 27:10, 28
- Ezekiel 48:16 : Rev 21:16
- Ezekiel 48:18 : Eze 45:6
- Ezekiel 48:21 : ver 8, 10; Eze 45:7
- Ezekiel 48:23 : Jos 18:11-28
- Ezekiel 48:24 : S Ge 29:33; Jos 19:1-9
- Ezekiel 48:25 : Jos 19:17-23
- Ezekiel 48:26 : Jos 19:10-16
- Ezekiel 48:27 : Jos 13:24-28
- Ezekiel 48:28 : S Ge 14:7
- Ezekiel 48:28 : S Nu 34:6; Eze 47:19
- Ezekiel 48:29 : S Eze 45:1
- Ezekiel 48:34 : S 2Ch 4:4; Rev 21:12-13
- Ezekiel 48:35 : S Isa 12:6; S 24:23; S Jer 3:17; 14:9; Joel 3:21; Rev 3:12; S 21:3
1 Peter 2:11-3:7
Living Godly Lives in a Pagan Society
11 Dear friends,(A) I urge you, as foreigners and exiles,(B) to abstain from sinful desires,(C) which wage war against your soul.(D) 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds(E) and glorify God(F) on the day he visits us.
13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority:(G) whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong(H) and to commend those who do right.(I) 15 For it is God’s will(J) that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.(K) 16 Live as free people,(L) but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;(M) live as God’s slaves.(N) 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers,(O) fear God, honor the emperor.(P)
18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters,(Q) not only to those who are good and considerate,(R) but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God.(S) 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.(T) 21 To this(U) you were called,(V) because Christ suffered for you,(W) leaving you an example,(X) that you should follow in his steps.
23 When they hurled their insults at him,(AA) he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats.(AB) Instead, he entrusted himself(AC) to him who judges justly.(AD) 24 “He himself bore our sins”(AE) in his body on the cross,(AF) so that we might die to sins(AG) and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”(AH) 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,”[b](AI) but now you have returned to the Shepherd(AJ) and Overseer of your souls.(AK)
3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves(AL) to your own husbands(AM) so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over(AN) without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.(AO) 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self,(AP) the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.(AQ) 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God(AR) used to adorn themselves.(AS) They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord.(AT) You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
7 Husbands,(AU) in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
- 1 Peter 2:11 : S 1Co 10:14
- 1 Peter 2:11 : S Heb 11:13
- 1 Peter 2:11 : Ro 13:14; Gal 5:16
- 1 Peter 2:11 : Jas 4:1
- 1 Peter 2:12 : Php 2:15; Tit 2:8; S Tit 2:14; 1Pe 3:16
- 1 Peter 2:12 : S Mt 9:8
- 1 Peter 2:13 : Ro 13:1; Tit 3:1
- 1 Peter 2:14 : Ro 13:4
- 1 Peter 2:14 : Ro 13:3
- 1 Peter 2:15 : 1Pe 3:17; 4:19
- 1 Peter 2:15 : S ver 12
- 1 Peter 2:16 : S Jn 8:32
- 1 Peter 2:16 : Gal 5:13
- 1 Peter 2:16 : S Ro 6:22
- 1 Peter 2:17 : S Ro 12:10
- 1 Peter 2:17 : Pr 24:21; Ro 13:7
- 1 Peter 2:18 : S Eph 6:5
- 1 Peter 2:18 : Jas 3:17
- 1 Peter 2:19 : 1Pe 3:14, 17
- 1 Peter 2:20 : 1Pe 3:17
- 1 Peter 2:21 : S Ac 14:22; Php 1:29; 1Pe 3:9
- 1 Peter 2:21 : S Ro 8:28
- 1 Peter 2:21 : 1Pe 3:18; 4:1, 13
- 1 Peter 2:21 : S Mt 11:29; 16:24
- 1 Peter 2:22 : S 2Co 5:21
- 1 Peter 2:22 : Isa 53:9
- 1 Peter 2:23 : Heb 12:3; 1Pe 3:9
- 1 Peter 2:23 : Isa 53:7
- 1 Peter 2:23 : Lk 23:46
- 1 Peter 2:23 : Ps 9:4
- 1 Peter 2:24 : Isa 53:4, 11; Heb 9:28
- 1 Peter 2:24 : S Ac 5:30
- 1 Peter 2:24 : S Ro 6:2
- 1 Peter 2:24 : Dt 32:39; Ps 103:3; Isa 53:5; Heb 12:13; Jas 5:16
- 1 Peter 2:25 : Isa 53:6
- 1 Peter 2:25 : S Jn 10:11
- 1 Peter 2:25 : Job 10:12
- 1 Peter 3:1 : 1Pe 2:18
- 1 Peter 3:1 : S Eph 5:22
- 1 Peter 3:1 : 1Co 7:16; 9:19
- 1 Peter 3:3 : Isa 3:18-23; 1Ti 2:9
- 1 Peter 3:4 : Ro 7:22; Eph 3:16
- 1 Peter 3:4 : S Ro 2:29
- 1 Peter 3:5 : 1Ti 5:5
- 1 Peter 3:5 : Est 2:15
- 1 Peter 3:6 : Ge 18:12
- 1 Peter 3:7 : Eph 5:25-33; Col 3:19
49 Remember your word(A) to your servant,
for you have given me hope.(B)
50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.(C)
51 The arrogant mock me(D) unmercifully,
but I do not turn(E) from your law.
52 I remember,(F) Lord, your ancient laws,
and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me(G) because of the wicked,
who have forsaken your law.(H)
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song(I)
wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember(J) your name,
that I may keep your law.(K)
56 This has been my practice:
I obey your precepts.(L)
57 You are my portion,(M) Lord;
I have promised to obey your words.(N)
58 I have sought(O) your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me(P) according to your promise.(Q)
59 I have considered my ways(R)
and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.(S)
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget(T) your law.
62 At midnight(U) I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.(V)
63 I am a friend to all who fear you,(W)
to all who follow your precepts.(X)
64 The earth is filled with your love,(Y) Lord;
teach me your decrees.(Z)
- Psalm 119:49 : ver 9
- Psalm 119:49 : ver 43
- Psalm 119:50 : S ver 25
- Psalm 119:51 : S ver 21; S Job 16:10; S 17:2
- Psalm 119:51 : S Job 23:11
- Psalm 119:52 : Ps 103:18
- Psalm 119:53 : S Ex 32:19; S 33:4
- Psalm 119:53 : Ps 89:30
- Psalm 119:54 : ver 172; Ps 101:1; 138:5
- Psalm 119:55 : ver 62, 72; Ps 1:2; 42:8; S 63:6; 77:2; Isa 26:9; Ac 16:25
- Psalm 119:55 : S ver 44
- Psalm 119:56 : ver 4, 100, 134, 168; S Nu 15:40
- Psalm 119:57 : S Dt 32:9; Jer 51:19; La 3:24
- Psalm 119:57 : ver 17, 67, 101
- Psalm 119:58 : S Dt 4:29; S 1Ch 16:11; Ps 34:4
- Psalm 119:58 : S Ge 43:29; S Ezr 9:8
- Psalm 119:58 : ver 41
- Psalm 119:59 : Jos 24:14-15; S Ps 39:1
- Psalm 119:60 : ver 115
- Psalm 119:61 : ver 83, 109, 153, 176
- Psalm 119:62 : S ver 55; Ac 16:25
- Psalm 119:62 : ver 7
- Psalm 119:63 : Ps 15:4; 101:6-7; 103:11
- Psalm 119:63 : ver 56; Ps 111:10
- Psalm 119:64 : Ps 33:5
- Psalm 119:64 : ver 12, 108